Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Probs just goons and a few friends. Not trying to turn my hobby into a business venture right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

The main consideration for this sort of thing is price. Cost price for Dorkroom goons shouldn't be a big issue but if we want to onsell then there's obviously got to be a markup.

The flip side is that the more issues we order, the cheaper the cost price is.

Personally I'd be content just making it available for anyone in the Dorkroom to buy (as many copies as they want) and we focus our effort into making the quality as sweet as possible. But I'm open if others want to go the more commercial route.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Make sure you put a barcode on the front right in the corner as well

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
At least for the first go 'round, I think Dorkroom only would be the best. That way the logistic issues of the printing and shipping can be dealt with and improved before scaling up for the second issue, assuming we ever even see the first through to completion.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

JSW2 posted:

At least for the first go 'round, I think Dorkroom only would be the best. That way the logistic issues of the printing and shipping can be dealt with and improved before scaling up for the second issue, assuming we ever even see the first through to completion.

Reciprocal Failure issue 2, available from trashcans globally in 2025.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

You know what, Dorkroom only at first is probably the better way to go about it.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I'm late to the party and I want in. Lets take all my money before I get fired from my dead end job.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

I would definitely like to participate.

Word of caution: in my limited experience with projects like these, having too much "democracy" can sink the whole endeavor, and having concrete deadlines can be a life saver.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I like this one!

I'd say make this zine mainly open to sale to people in the Dorkroom, but maybe provide a way for non-Dorkroomers to buy if they want a copy.

Where money is involved, I'd say go with pre-orders, so for example, using a Google Form to capture who wants a copy, and then sending them PayPal invoices later. Whoever pays by a certain deadline gets a copy. Or we can wrap up the project in a Kickstarter shell, I'm not too sure which is the better option. Anyway this makes the shipping logistics much easier for Elgarbo, unless he wants to do on-demand printing?

Also, agreed on having concrete deadlines. Deadline for final participants, for submission of photos, for judging of photos, and for printing and shipping the zine. Would be good to establish a timeline for them.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

alkanphel posted:

I like this one!

I'd say make this zine mainly open to sale to people in the Dorkroom, but maybe provide a way for non-Dorkroomers to buy if they want a copy.

Where money is involved, I'd say go with pre-orders, so for example, using a Google Form to capture who wants a copy, and then sending them PayPal invoices later. Whoever pays by a certain deadline gets a copy. Or we can wrap up the project in a Kickstarter shell, I'm not too sure which is the better option. Anyway this makes the shipping logistics much easier for Elgarbo, unless he wants to do on-demand printing?

Also, agreed on having concrete deadlines. Deadline for final participants, for submission of photos, for judging of photos, and for printing and shipping the zine. Would be good to establish a timeline for them.

a KS shell seems sane but I don't know the hidden costs. Like evaluate the assumed demand based on dork room feedback, set up the KS based around that assumed modest cost

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Minkee posted:

I'm late to the party and I want in. Lets take all my money before I get fired from my dead end job.

I have a few bad photos that would fit well in this zine.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Mido posted:

a KS shell seems sane but I don't know the hidden costs. Like evaluate the assumed demand based on dork room feedback, set up the KS based around that assumed modest cost

You could make the baseline backing figure as the cost x number of participants, since I assume all the participants would want a copy of the zine. Any extra backers would be a bonus.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
Kickstarter is about 8%, PayPal is about 3% (4% if you're changing currencies) plus a flat fee per transaction. Both numbers are from a cursory search, so I may be off, but it looks like straight PayPal will be cheaper. Not to mention avoiding the Kickstarter approval process.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Sorry, more design attempts.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

There is also print on demand option like magcloud. That way there is no production costs involved, and we have unlimited number of copies to sell.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Putrid Grin posted:

There is also print on demand option like magcloud. That way there is no production costs involved, and we have unlimited number of copies to sell.

That's the option I use for my zines, but you won't get to choose your fancy paper stock, and it's digital printing instead of offset printing. Not sure what sort of printing company Elgarbo is planning to use though.

JSW2
Apr 26, 2008
The print on demand idea is probably the best idea; it even eliminates the issue of finding someone to fulfill the orders, though at the cost of some options for paper and binding.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Have to send a copy to Little Brown Mushroom so Alec Soth can tells us how terrible it is :allears:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Spedman posted:

Have to send a copy to Little Brown Mushroom so Alec Soth can tells us how terrible it is :allears:

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Hey guys I don't know much about Magcloud but I've got printing lined up and it's insanely good value for the quality we'll get. Sure I'm going to have to post out a poo poo ton of packages but that's what I was expecting when I offered to do this.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Thoogsby posted:

I like this one but I feel like the slogan should be "feelings of acceleration"

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm in if it's still open.

Also, please no "40 dork photographers".

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Alright guys, I'm going to assert a bit of autocratic control here so we can move beyond the cover design. I've mixed up a few of the layouts and design options and have come up with two alternatives.

Option 1

Option 2

Vote for option 1 or option 2 in the thread. Voting closes in 24 hours. Majority wins. Go.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 18, 2015

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Whoops, I go for option 2.

Thoogsby posted:

I really like this minus the "A composition of...etc"

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 18, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I'll go with option 1.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Option 2

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Option 1

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Option 2 looks better to me, and I'm in at least to buy a copy. I should go digging through my negative box and see what I've got worth printing.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Option 2.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Option two

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Option 2

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
With any luck this project will work out better than my Astia giveaway.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Option 2

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Option 2

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009