Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i would like to be in on this zine business if it is not too late

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

PushingKingston posted:

This is true, but thought it looked odd done properly

:shrug: just spitballin shapes and contrasts

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

alternative and more subtle take on the current title hype:

Trending Towards Failure

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

elgarbo posted:

I'm sure even the gooniest of Dorkroom street photographers have something that won't completely gently caress up this book.

:smuggo: we'll see about that

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

bobmarleysghost posted:

I'm in support of the following ideas:
- no theme
- 2 page spread per
- merciless culling

e:

Pukestain Pal posted:

I nominate the autist since he doesn't get art, maaaaaaaaaaaaan

i support this nomination bc i know this dude in real life and he has a strong sense of appreciating what people are going for and the how/why something does/doesn't work on a lot of levels :cheers:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

This is a pretty good attempt, maybe with the black text overlapping differently so it masks less of the white, or have only some letters go over, maybe ?

e
but with better fonts

im willing to bikeshed this poo poo into the ground but i hope we stay away from clever typeface fuckery, keep it simple and consistent or get a good credentialed designer in here. mixing typefaces for a logo is somewhat of a faux pas if you dont have a reason to do so, so is moving hte last two letters of the title around for no reason

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

This but the cover picture is that picture of ansel in the pool.

agreeing with this

except i dont think the typeface on the bottom doesn't seem to handle that level of strength very well

e:

spitballin again. i dont like how the last family handled their Fs and Es, i'm not sold on the one i picked here either, the capital C doesnt kern well against the A in RECIPROCAL, elements of the last attempt were better

edit 3: fixed

edit 4: the family is "Avenir Next", it's a good one but when you start dicking with the kerning like i am here you'll have to end up manually kerning every letter because it does goofy things when spread this far apart.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 17, 2015

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

here's a variation with the two title lines closer together vertically with "overlay" on the top, by chance it looks p good with this specific photo, a bit gimmicky imo, just playing around

edit:

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 17, 2015

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i think that is the end of my walk down this path of variations.

this is sloppy but a quick draft of another type of title:

it's a bit different but separates the title from the cover photo a bit, making them different concepts on some level instead of designed together. it's a hit/miss kind of approach and my mockup doesn't do it justice. i dont think this particular typeface survives well in this particular mock

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

elgarbo posted:

I like everything about this cover except the uneven spacing between the letters in the words. Mido what font did you use?

go for it, Avenir Next Condensed Ultra Light for the top part, and Avenir Next Condensed Medium for the bottom part. the uneven spacing definitely needs to be cleaned up by hand

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

alkanphel posted:

I like this one!

I'd say make this zine mainly open to sale to people in the Dorkroom, but maybe provide a way for non-Dorkroomers to buy if they want a copy.

Where money is involved, I'd say go with pre-orders, so for example, using a Google Form to capture who wants a copy, and then sending them PayPal invoices later. Whoever pays by a certain deadline gets a copy. Or we can wrap up the project in a Kickstarter shell, I'm not too sure which is the better option. Anyway this makes the shipping logistics much easier for Elgarbo, unless he wants to do on-demand printing?

Also, agreed on having concrete deadlines. Deadline for final participants, for submission of photos, for judging of photos, and for printing and shipping the zine. Would be good to establish a timeline for them.

a KS shell seems sane but I don't know the hidden costs. Like evaluate the assumed demand based on dork room feedback, set up the KS based around that assumed modest cost

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

i like 2, it leaves that nice photo unblemished

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

can this thread now be a place to discuss the do's and dont's of proofing? i've not done any real print work :smith:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

TomR posted:

Yeah email is a good idea. What email address we sending stuff to?

obama@whitehouse.gov

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

Good opinions

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

dusting projects with memes is cool and good but i'd like this to be more about the photos than our caustic culture

thats just me

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Spedman posted:

After this discussion I rescind my approval of this "acceleration" joke.

And the reason why is that I think we should try and make this a recurring zine and not a one off, say quarterly or biannual, with different dorkroom curators perhaps, but the same submission/rejection/printing process we're figuring out now, so the process can become somewhat streamlined.

lets just get this one thing out the door and see how it goes from there, i think scoping anything but this one zine itself is goon-project-pitfall as hell

i have both done and seen this done way too many times.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Submitted my stuff in the form of a Dropbox link :shobon:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

hosed up submissions go to the "bart radfucker" zine which will only be printed so they can be filmed being thrown into a dumpster and burned

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Dec 3, 2015

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I submitted 95% JPEGs no larger than like 2400px in any dimension since it's a zine and not like National Geographic

if y'all need something bigger lemme know

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

The selection process is underway...

DONT DOXX ME!!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

McMadCow posted:

I thought that was being farmed out to me....? WTF did I buy this gimp suit for?!

text me

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pukestain Pal posted:

So are we kickstarting this bitch? Who is organizing that part? I don't mind helping, but I can't guarantee good work.

for minimum "money transmission, know your customer" bullshit it should probably be elgarbo's accounts that get the $ straight from KS

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

elgarbo posted:

I spoke to the printing company yesterday. The proof should be printed today or tomorrow, and therefore in my hands in a couple of days.

I'll post a few teaser images here and set up the Kickstarter before the end of January.

:woop:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

Hell yeah. Best goon project.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

thread rated :five: for the # of copies i ordered

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

unpacked robinhood posted:

Maybe don't do anything

it's this

get the zine printed an distributed, one thing at a time

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Choicecut posted:

Was this a one time zine or are you guys going for round two..I'd like to get in on it if so.

this man wishes us to tempt fate a second time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Haven't gotten mine yet :argh: but other PDX dork roomers did. I think I had 4 or 5 and it sounds like you posted the larger orders last so that's probably why

• Locked thread