Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I'm in to contribute and help out in any way I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I like this a lot.

(I also like 5, and agree with Breadnought.)

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Option 2.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Just sent mine in, 2000px JPGs. Happy to resend if necessary.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

elgarbo posted:

Some... interesting ideas. I like the idea of the reciprocity chart, makes sense.

In other news: I just got a quote from the publisher. At 80 pages, with perfect binding, matte 216 gsm art paper cover and 150 gsm silk finish pages we're looking at about AUD $15 per copy. That's about $10.80 in real American dollars.

There are obviously some other costs that will also need to be factored in; postage obviously is a big one, shipping materials (protective mailers, board to prevent bending etc), payment processing fees and lastly the cost of producing a proof before we go into final production. All up I'd estimate it'll come in at around AUD $25 including worldwide shipping.
I'm assuming this is based on a minimum print run? How many copies are we looking at?

vvv same.

rohan fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 23, 2015

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I'm all for a Kickstarter. 50 copies isn't very many if we want to get this further than the Dorkroom, so this would be a good way of judging extra demand and gives us a way to promote (even if just in CC) before we have to decide on a print run. Again, happy to pay extra if it makes admin easier for elgarbo.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

elgarbo posted:

Okay, I think I've finished making this thing.

No point discussing layouts anymore because I've plugged everyone's photos in, captioned them and it looks done. Too much work to go back and revise it now... so if the design ends up being poo poo and against everyone's taste, we'll write it off to being a zine made by a guy who just stole all his design ideas from photobooks. That said, I think it looks pretty rad.

Next step: give the PDF a good proof-read, then send it off to the printer to get a proof printed. This will cost me some cash, which I'll account for when I work out the final cost of each zine. Apparently the proof should be ready mid to late January.
I don't want to make any more work for you, but does this mean everyone's photos are up to scratch res & colour wise? Or is that something you'll be evaluating once you have the proof?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Pledged for three!

(No dodgy, ham-fisted video on the Kickstarter? For shame.)

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

elgarbo posted:

Okay we've now hit our funding goal. Yay goons!
:dance:

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

So, now that we've comfortably passed the minimum threshold of 50 copies...

Given that printing costs get cheaper the more copies we get, is there a point at which it would make sense to either a) funnel the extra money into a kitty for the next issue of this wildly successful venture, or b) tempt fate a little less and slightly increase the quality of the existing zine? (I'd also be happy for any extra monies to be split between ansel and elgarbo for their work getting this thing running, even though profits aren't punk rock at all.)

I'm aware the volume benefits probably don't kick in till we've funded significantly more than the ~80 copies at last count, but I figure it's worth considering.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Geektox posted:

If the value is declared as less than $20 they are duty exempt. If you declare an item as a gift then there needs to be a note or a card or something that indicates it is a gift which is generally more trouble than it's worth.
Worth pointing out different countries have wildly different limits. Canada is definitely the lowest I've seen -- US seems to be at least $200 so won't be an issue for anyone there.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Got my copies :neckbeard:

Trip report when I get home, I don't want the entire office exposed to my shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Trip report, post celebratory IPA: this thing is really, really nice. It feels about twice as professional as it has any right to be and the photos are pretty good too, I guess?

Thanks to elgarbo & ansel for their hard work curating and putting it together! I'm really happy and proud to be part of this. Also glad we kept it at 8x10, was definitely the right call.

(also minor detail but the packaging is really nice holy poo poo elgarbo has a mammoth task but he's not skimping on getting these things out to everyone)

• Locked thread