Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren: THE RECIPROCAL FAILURE KICKSTARTER IS NOW LIVE :siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:
Pledge your support at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/208011788/reciprocal-failure-a-photography-zine

Submit your photos to dorkroomzine@gmail.com
Deadline: December 5

Please name your files consistently: "username_realname_imagetitle.jpg" - this makes it much easier to sort. Image title isn't required, just something to differentiate one image in your batch vs. the others.

This thread comes straight to you from the Photobooks thread, where some spitballing was done about the prospects of making a Dorkroom Zine.

WHAT IS A ZINE?
A zine (/ˈziːn/ zeen; an abbreviation of fanzine or magazine) is most commonly a small circulation self-published work of original or appropriated texts and images usually reproduced via photocopier. A popular definition includes that circulation must be 1,000 or fewer, although in practice the majority are produced in editions of fewer than 100, and profit is not the primary intent of publication. They are informed by anarchopunk and DIY ethos.

Since the Dorkroom is such a haven of sophistication and class, there's no way we'll be producing this thing on lovely photocopy paper though. More on that later.

Some examples, to further illustrate the idea:

So, what's this about a Dorkroom Zine, then?
The basic idea is to publish a zine filled with photos by Dorkroomers. I'd like to think it'll be a representation of people's best work, but hey, whatever. Of course, making a physical zine costs real-world money, so if you want to be a part of this crazy project, you're going to have to be willing to buy a copy (price to be determined, depending on how much content we have and the quality of the materials.)

Who are you, elgarbo, and how are you qualified to do this?
I'm probably not qualified, but hey, I've got the time and the willingness to organise it. I've made a zine, I know a guy who owns a company printing these things and did a real swell job on my first run around and the price was really reasonable. I've investigated and priced different qualities of paper. I also have some vague experience with putting together one of these things in InDesign - it's probably not going to be a masterpiece of design, but for a Dorkroom publication it'll probably suffice. I am quite happy to do this as a hobby and have no intention of making any money out of this thing whatsoever.

That said, if there's anyone else with the time and willingness to get involved, I'd be grateful for the assistance.

What's the process?
There are a few things that will need to happen to get this off the ground. They are:

1. People registering their interest in participating.
2. Deciding on a name for this fine publication
3. Deciding on the cover photograph
4. Deciding on paper stock
5. Receiving submissions from everyone participating.
6. Collating it into some sort of vaguely aesthetically pleasing design.
7. Finalising the cost.
8. Receiving moneys.
9. Printing / posting.
10. Celebrate!

So, if I participate, what can I contribute?
I envision that everyone who participates will get a double page spread to show off their work. Each page of the zine will be 8 inches wide by 10 inches high, so you'll have a total space to work with of 16 wide by 10 high across the fold of the page. You can fill that space with as much or as little work as you like, as I see it. I'm also happy to take written text, so if you want to write a little spiel about your photos, by all means. If you want to write a little poem about your photos, unusual... but cool. If you want to draw and scan a little picture that goes with your photos, that's also fine. If you don't want to submit any photos whatsoever, but you want to write an essay about photography, that's also not a problem. As long as it all relates to photography in some way, and it fits across a double page spread.

Let's talk cash money
It's hard to pin down a precise figure, because that will depend entirely on the number of pages and the quality of materials. In all likelihood, the cost could be anywhere between $5 and $20 Australian pesos, not including postage. Postage costs are roughly $2.10 within Australia for one zine, $5 to New Zealand and about $7 anywhere else in the world.

The value of the Australian dollar is currently spiralling into the abyss, so there is every chance that by the time this project comes to its conclusion, your real-world dollars will be able to purchase an infinite supply of this quality publication for the equivalent of a stick of gum.

Sounds rad, I want to get involved.
Sweet. Leave a message in this here thread and we can get to work.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Currently involved:
elgarbo (join me!)
Tony Two Bapes
rohan
Pukestain Pal
iSheep
alkanphel
PushingKingston
365 Nog Hogger
daspope
Dren
MrBlandAverage
feigning interest
BANME.sh
RangerScum
HookShot
8th-snype
Mrenda
BobTheCow
Thoogsby
BetterLekNextTime
Spedman
Jimlad
bobmarleysghost
Shellman
Saint Fu
Soopafly
voodoorootbeer
ansel autisms
unpacked robinhood
Breadnought
Mido
Captain Organ
MythObstacle IV
Jeromas
JSW2
pootiebigwang
ohrwurm
TomR
Ric
Minkee
Putrid Grin
McMadcow
ExecuDork
Helen Highwater
LogisticsEarth
Chekans 3 16
Primo Itch
huhu
VomitOnLimo

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 23, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

365 Nog Hogger posted:

In, of course. Thanks so much for organizing!

Are we thinking about distributing a bit or just for internal consumption? If people are thinking of going that way I would want to put in money for some copies to put up for consignment at bookshop or two. It would probably be prudent to not put any specific mention of SA in there in that case...

I am totally open to either option. The more copies made the cheaper printing gets. And of course we could make a bit of cash to split between everyone or offset the costs for production or whatever.

It's probably easier to figure out the logistics of that sort of thing when we have a definite number of participants, but it's worth keeping in mind as we design it so we don't end up with a product full of in-jokes that nobody else would have any interest in.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Dren posted:

I would like to participate. Thank you for organizing. Any idea for how you will accept work? Do you want us to mock up a two page spread? Choose from a list of layouts and select photos ourselves? Give you a bunch of photos and allow you to curate?

Are you going to collect some or all money before you accept submissions?

I'll most likely mock up a couple of sample layouts that people can choose from. I'd prefer to let people choose their photos, but it might be rad if we came to a general agreement about what sort of aesthetic we're going for (democracy is fun.)

Basically what I'm saying is if you submit some sort of technicolour HDR madness I'd expect it won't make the cut.

As for money - I'll just leave it for now. We'll get a full list of interested people, figure out how many pages it's going to be and what the actual cost will be to produce.. then I'll ask for money and anyone who doesn't get it by the deadline will be mercilessly culled. I won't be sending anything to get printed until all the payments balance, so nobody should end up out of pocket.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

So the first order of business, as contributors start to roll in...

What shall we call this heaving beast of a zine? Something short, punchy, camera-related. Any ideas?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Spedman posted:

I'm in too if its not too late.

Most definitely not too late.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay. So assuming we're going with Reciprocal Failure, I'll mock up a few possible (simple) logos.

If anyone has any design experience with logos and can do something fancy and wants to try something better, you're very welcome to throw your attempts into this thread

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Here's some logo designs. I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing so please feel free to make something better.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

First of all: no theme. Unless it's

Thoogsby posted:

theme: don't submit photos you know are terrible.

As for curating generally... The original idea, having every participant get a two page spread, was put forward because it makes life significantly easier based on a few practical considerations. It works well with the physical constraints of the book (pages need to be in multiples of four), it avoids some people having their work split across back to back pages and its fair financially.

Perhaps the best way of doing it is to have everyone submit five pieces of their (not lovely) work and only the best pieces will be considered. I'm sure even the gooniest of Dorkroom street photographers have something that won't completely gently caress up this book.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Thoogsby posted:

Been to PAD recently?

Admittedly no.

Perhaps the solution is to accept submissions and then mercilessly cull shitposts. Don't participate if you're not willing to face the cold, brutal truth of rejection.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

RangerScum posted:

Or if you are on the fence about some and would like an open discussion about them feel free to post it in here. Maybe people will get butthurt for a little bit but that's what makes this forum ~the best~.

An excellent plan.

If you submit your work to this zine you need to accept that you may be publicly judged and potentially rejected.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Pukestain Pal posted:

I nominate the autist since he doesn't get art, maaaaaaaaaaaaan

If he's keen, the job is his. Worth bearing in mind that whoever curates is going to have to sift through roughly 200 shots assuming everyone submits their best five.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

My best effort based on previous feedback. It's just two weights of the font Lato.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 17, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I like everything about this cover except the uneven spacing between the letters in the words. Mido what font did you use?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay guys, we're making some rad progress on this thing. We can keep tinkering with the cover, but now it's time to talk about what we want to achieve with this magnificent publication.

Basically - do we want it to be strictly available for Dorkroom goons? If so, are we happy for those goons to purchase as many copies as they like to try to onsell for HUGE profits?

Or do we want to collectively try to sell this thing for fat stacks of cash and share the profits between everyone involved? If so, there are two options... We all collectively take on the risk of getting extra copies printed that may not be sold, or we absolve ourselves of risk and do a preorder type thing through Kickstarter?

Thoughts?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

The main consideration for this sort of thing is price. Cost price for Dorkroom goons shouldn't be a big issue but if we want to onsell then there's obviously got to be a markup.

The flip side is that the more issues we order, the cheaper the cost price is.

Personally I'd be content just making it available for anyone in the Dorkroom to buy (as many copies as they want) and we focus our effort into making the quality as sweet as possible. But I'm open if others want to go the more commercial route.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

JSW2 posted:

At least for the first go 'round, I think Dorkroom only would be the best. That way the logistic issues of the printing and shipping can be dealt with and improved before scaling up for the second issue, assuming we ever even see the first through to completion.

Reciprocal Failure issue 2, available from trashcans globally in 2025.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Hey guys I don't know much about Magcloud but I've got printing lined up and it's insanely good value for the quality we'll get. Sure I'm going to have to post out a poo poo ton of packages but that's what I was expecting when I offered to do this.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Alright guys, I'm going to assert a bit of autocratic control here so we can move beyond the cover design. I've mixed up a few of the layouts and design options and have come up with two alternatives.

Option 1

Option 2

Vote for option 1 or option 2 in the thread. Voting closes in 24 hours. Majority wins. Go.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 18, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Option 2 it is. We have ourselves a front cover.

So, here's what's next. We need to close registrations of interest so I can get a quote based on how many goons are likely to be involved. So, to set an entirely arbitrary cutoff day... let's just say nobody else will be accepted after this coming weekend. Looks like pretty much everyone is in now, anyway.

Secondly, we need people to submit their photos so that Ansel Autisms can brutally cull the poo poo(test) stuff. I was toying around with Dropboxes and Google Drives but that was all too fiddly, so for the sake of making this process as easy and as accessible for everyone... post your submissions(of up to five photos, poems, essays etc) in this thread. The deadline for submissions is December 5. Don't miss the deadline or you'll miss out. Feel free to change your submissions up until that point, we'll make sure the curating doesn't happen until after that.

Theme: Post Your Least lovely Work
Deadline: Saturday December 5 (give or take a bit of time for global time zones, I'll accept your poo poo on Sunday but don't come grovelling to me on the 10th or something.)
Instructions: Post five photos in this thread. You will be judged, possibly within the public space of the Dorkroom. Sensitive souls need not apply. Only those photos passing the quality standards of Ansel Autisms will be considered for the zine. Remember, if accepted, you will have only a double page spread to work within, so some of your shots may hit the cutting room floor even if they pass the rigorous curating process.

New instructions coming soon.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 19, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Ignore this poo poo post.

elgarbo fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 19, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I'll set up an account shortly.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Okay, let's try this again.

Deadline: December 5, approximately
Instructions: Send FIVE high resolution print-ready files to dorkroomzine@gmail.com where they will be culled mercilessly by ansel autisms and then those that survive will be transformed into a transcendent art zine.

What does print ready mean?
There's probably people who know the answer to this better than I do, so feel free to chip in. For my purposes, I need a file that is at least about 2000 pixels wide along the horizontal plane. Unless your idea of art is having your photos printed to look like a smudgy mess (which may be an improvement, I concede.) Preferably, you'll have calibrated your monitor so you're pleased with the colours in your shot as well.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Yeah we'll have a proper intro. I'm happy to write something myself (I'm an English teacher, I like to think I have some sort of control of the English language...) but if there's a hidden wordsmith lurking in the Dorkroom I'm happy for someone else to have a crack at it.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Putrid Grin posted:

As for the "print readiness", do we have any other guidelines we could use? Are there any color profiles available? Do we know what paper is being used (glossy, matte etc.). I assume 300 dpi files are the standard. Also, I would assume that not everyone might want to have their images displayed as large as possible. Do we have any control of the layout of the two pages each person is allotted?

The paper will be matte or semi matte. 300dpi is ideal but not this being a zine, lower dpi files should be okay if you can't provide that level of quality.

As to size and page layouts, I'll put together some mockup pages a little later in the process so that contributors who make it through the curating process can choose how their photos are presented.

Ric posted:

Do you know what the print area of each page is? If so, we could send a file with the correct dimensions to print at a chosen size, so it will be sharpened to the level intended and not altered by any deliberate reduction in photoshop (sharper) or fitting to canvas in indesign (less sharp). Also, an image sharpened for print will look terrible on screen.

Full bleed is 8x10 inches. We can use the entire dimensions of the page if we want.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

bobmarleysghost posted:

You should provide 2-3 different layouts that people can pick and choose to populate their photos in. That way we avoid a schizophrenic book while keeping it looking different enough.

Yep that's the plan, obviously allowing for different formats.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Also, potentially panoramic photos could cross the fold.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Hey guys, just send whatever high-res images are most convenient and I'll figure it out from there. If they need sharpening or re-sizing later I can chase you up. Let's keep this process as user friendly and straightforward as possible so as to ensure the highest chance of success.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Primo Itch posted:

Seems like it's to late to join the party but I'd definitely like to buy a copy...

You can participate if you want to, it's not too late.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

McMadCow posted:

Also, just so we're clear- there will be no cropping of anything we submit, right?

No cropping (although ansel autism's shot on the cover is cropped to fit the portrait format.)

I've added huhu and Primo Itch and with that, applications to participate are now closed off. Get your submissions in people!

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Yeah that would work best.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Just a reminder to get your photos in, folks. The Official Dorkroom Zine email account is currently pretty bare - it's mostly just alkenphel changing his mind about what to submit.

Email your poo poo to dorkroomzine@gmail.com by December 5.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

alkanphel posted:

You're probably going to see everyone submit on December 5 itself.

Yeah realistically I know that's how it'll unfold. And no doubt there'll be some who just forget all about it and miss the deadline and then weep gently for having missed out on being in such a slick publication.

(Alternate outcome - they weep with joy for having missed out on being in such a horrible publication.)

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Minkee posted:

We're not doing anything terrible like requiring an artists statement are we? I think we should keep it to images and maybe a title. Writing an artists statement is one of my least favorite things to do in life.

Definitely not required. You can write one if you want to. Or a poem. Surprised nobody has opted to submit an epic photography poem yet.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Do we get a little line on our respective pages with our usernames/irl names ?

Yeah all photos will be credited to your real name or a pseudonym if you prefer.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

McMadCow posted:

Please please please no usernames.

No usernames but if some odd character does all their photography under some sort of assumed name, who am I to care what name they attach to their work?

(That's to say, images won't be credited like this: Michael Garbutt aka elgarbo)

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

When we have submissions in and they've been curated, I'll get some quotes for different paper stocks. Probably not worth making any decisions on colour profiles until after that point. People will get a chance to resubmit their photos if necessary.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Almost certainly digital, unless somehow there's enough demand for 1000s of copies.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

LogisticEarth posted:

Question about how these images are going to be weeded out: Are they being selected as a unit of 5, or individually? I'm trying to decide if I should submit a single style/subject, or a mixed bag.

I can't speak for how ansel autisms will be curating this thing, but basically it's worth remembering that at a minimum you'll have two photos printed in a double page spread. So you need to have at least two images that will work well together. That doesn't necessarily mean they need a unified theme (although Mr Autisms can possibly offer more direction in this regard.) Beyond that, it's up to you.

To offer some perspective, some submissions have shown a strongly unified theme. Some have gone beyond that and asked that specific photos be printed together. Others have thrown out a random mix. It's entirely up to you to decide what work you think will be the best representation of your work.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Remember! Roughly two days left to submit your terrible photographs!

We've got a pretty sweet representation so far, but still lots of people who showed an interest in participating are yet to send in their stuff. Don't be the fool who misses out on being published in such an esteemed publication because they forgot about a deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

Less than 24 hours until deadline! Make it happen.

• Locked thread