Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I wanna throw down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

elgarbo posted:

Admittedly no.

Perhaps the solution is to accept submissions and then mercilessly cull shitposts. Don't participate if you're not willing to face the cold, brutal truth of rejection.

As long as you're comfortable rejecting submissions I think this is a good idea.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

elgarbo posted:

If he's keen, the job is his. Worth bearing in mind that whoever curates is going to have to sift through roughly 200 shots assuming everyone submits their best five.

I'm down

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

:coolfish:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

IMO we should be doing submissions art gallery style via email with actual print-ready images.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

elgarbo posted:

Okay, let's try this again.

Deadline: December 5, approximately
Instructions: Send FIVE high resolution print-ready files to dorkroomzine@gmail.com where they will be culled mercilessly by ansel autisms and then those that survive will be transformed into a transcendent art zine.

What does print ready mean?
There's probably people who know the answer to this better than I do, so feel free to chip in. For my purposes, I need a file that is at least about 2000 pixels wide along the horizontal plane. Unless your idea of art is having your photos printed to look like a smudgy mess (which may be an improvement, I concede.) Preferably, you'll have calibrated your monitor so you're pleased with the colours in your shot as well.

Also some notes from me:

Please name your files consistently: "username_realname_imagetitle.jpg" - this makes it much easier to sort. Image title isn't required, just something to differentiate one image in your batch vs. the others.
Be aware that what you send is what's going to get printed.

Can we get this added to the OP for posterity?

bellows lugosi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 19, 2015

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

McMadCow posted:

If our zine is going to be full of internet jokes I'm out. This is a good idea, let's not ruin it with silliness.

Good opinions

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

RangerScum posted:

We sticking to one photo per page for consistency?

IMO we should stick to 1 per but there might be a situation where something like a large image on top with 2 small on bottom would communicate intent more than a single image.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

We have until dec 5 for submissions yea?

Yea. Even if you're not in on "the list" on page 1 just email them in and I'll put them in the spam folder

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Highly suggest you put the submission info in the OP so people don't have to wade through the thread.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

If you're in doubt just submit by the 5th

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

bobmarleysghost posted:

The deadline is the 5th. Is that the beginning of the day or end of day ?

I'm gonna call it 11:59 PM on the 5th, Pacific standard time (-8), which should be advantageous to most people not living on the Pacific.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

:stonklol:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Starting to look at all of your garbage today.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

HookShot posted:

no true goon would drink calorie-free coke.

that's why I'm drinking an IPA

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Is there going to be some sort of response by email as to whether or not we made the cut, and if so, which photographs?

I'm working on collating all of my picks into an easy file for elgarbo. Once that's done I'll try to respond to each email with submissions that made it and he can take over and request higher res/better scans if needed. Emails will probably go out sometime this weekend.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Update: I haven't sent anything, so don't fret. Working on it right now.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Working on the list right now, finishing it today.

The last question I have: how should I be announcing things? I can either email everything to elgarbo in secret (and individually to each person saying what went in), or I can just post here with names & filenames which are mostly ambiguous enough that only the submitter should know what the images are.

Thoughts?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sent my list to elgarbo, I'll post here later tonight with the list if I don't get oppositions. If you personally oppose to having your submission listed in this thread PM me or post and I'll just exclude it from the list and let you know directly your submission status.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Here's a partial list, there's names missing from here but they've been notified in other ways. If you're not on and haven't been told -- sorry!

quote:

365NogHogger-0002.jpg
365NogHogger-04-22-14_010.jpg
8thsamurai-002.jpg
8thsamurai-004.jpg
BANME.sh_(3).jpg
BANME.sh_(4).jpg
Breadnought_PinkBuilding.jpg
Breadnought_TrafficMirror.jpg
Captain Organ_Untitled4.jpg
Captain Organ_Untitled5.jpg
Execudork_Glacier.jpg
Execudork_Purple.jpg
Primo Itch - Horizons #1.jpg
Primo Itch - Tramas #1.jpg
LogisticEarth_Untitled (2).jpg
LogisticEarth_Window on the Ladder.jpg
McMadCow_S in Her Studio.jpg
McMadCow_Vanessa.jpg
MrDespair_Underground.jpg
MrDespair_Vertigo.jpg
PushingKingston-1.jpg
PushingKingston-4.jpg
Putrid Grin Submission (1 of 5).jpg
Putrid Grin Submission (5 of 5.jpg
Shellman_2.jpg
Shellman_3.jpg
Something-Awful-Huhu-2.jpg
Something-Awful-Huhu.jpg
Soopafly_Untitled(2).jpg
Soopafly_Untitled(3).jpg
Spedman_1.jpg
Spedman_3.jpg
TomR_1.jpg
TomR_2.jpg
bobmarleysghost_Lake.jpg
bobmarleysghost_Screen.jpg
crap nerd_4-Glassilaun Beach.jpg
crap nerd_5-Clonbur.jpg
daspope_GrandAve.jpg
daspope_NorthMopac.jpg
dren_VeronaMotel.jpg
dren_pool.jpg
feigninginterest-untitled(2).jpg
feigninginterest-untitled.jpg
mrblandaverage_mather point.jpg
mrblandaverage_viewpoint.jpg
musket-Bethany.jpg
musket-NW Portland.jpg
ohrwurm_1.jpg
ohrwurm_4.jpg
pukestainpal_Bud-Abandoned.jpg
pukestainpal_IVS-Merlion.jpg
ric_mirror_2100x1400_unsharpened.jpg
ric_spiderwebs_2100x1400_unsharpened.jpg
rohan-2.jpg
rohan-4.jpg
saintfu_img4.jpg
saintfu_ing5.jpg
thoogsby_untitled_3.jpg
thoogsby_untitled_4.jpg
tony-two-bapes_933.jpg
tony-two-bapes_935.jpg
unpacked robinhood_1.jpg
unpacked robinhood_3.jpg
voodoorootbeer_Chestnut St.jpg
voodoorootbeer_Dawg's.jpg

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I'm an idiot who missed a few that were supposed to be in:

quote:

VomitOnLino: gloomy_window_and_billowing_sky_and_windy_palm_tree / night_phone_lady_and_distant_city_scenery_in_gloom
Mido: mido_coastal / mido_space
iSheep: 201090010008 / 201090010021-2

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

IMO Kickstarter would actually be good in this case - could essentially take "preorders" for a # of zines per-person with the cost set at whatever KS takes + payment processor cut + printing costs + shipping etc

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Voting for no turning.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Suggestion: keep the portrait shots the same paper area as the landscape shots and enjoy the whitespace.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

:getin:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Good idea if we're looking to reduce the number of backers

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

alkanphel posted:

Use it to buy yourself a beer after shipping out so many goddamn copies.

:agreed:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Goddamn you motherfuckers love jumping the gun. I'm just excited to see a copy eventually.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

• Locked thread