Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
I'm in if it's still open.

Also, please no "40 dork photographers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Option 2

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

It's seriously the best option.

If our zine is going to be full of internet jokes I'm out. This is a good idea, let's not ruin it with silliness.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

This is a comedy website and I think the intro / foreword should reflect that fact and mention SomethingAwful.com by name.

I really don't see why it should.

Our work is being curated by the Autist. That's the thread through the body of work, not SA.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Spedman posted:

After this discussion I rescind my approval of this "acceleration" joke.

And the reason why is that I think we should try and make this a recurring zine and not a one off, say quarterly or biannual, with different dorkroom curators perhaps, but the same submission/rejection/printing process we're figuring out now, so the process can become somewhat streamlined.

I would absolutely love to curate/edit a future issue. I tend to get pretty hardcore critical as my students know, but I do love the process.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

We should probably send them all unsharpened. If elgarbo is able to make a proof, that will reveal how much if any needs to be done and then it's a matter of running the same level of sharpening and reinserting them into the template. A PITA for sure, but probably the only way to get a consistent product.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Also, just so we're clear- there will be no cropping of anything we submit, right?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Please please please no usernames.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

elgarbo posted:

No usernames but if some odd character does all their photography under some sort of assumed name, who am I to care what name they attach to their work?

Yeah that's completely reasonable as long as it's consistent with how they take credit for their work out in the non-internet world.

I just hope that no one comes to the conclusion that since this is their first "published" work, it would be appropriate to use their SA username because that's attached to all their previous work- only shared online.

EDIT: And I'm not trying to be a curmudgeon. I've done this all before and I hope that this online collective can put together a collection that is a match with some of the "real world" collaborations I've been a part of.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Is there going to be some sort of response by email as to whether or not we made the cut, and if so, which photographs?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Pukestain Pal posted:

No need for you to worry. lovely photos won't make it.

I appreciate the kind words, but I was asking because I just got better scans of two of the shots I submitted, which were large darkroom prints. I was hoping to be able to replace the files if they're selected.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

ansel autisms posted:

I'm working on collating all of my picks into an easy file for elgarbo. Once that's done I'll try to respond to each email with submissions that made it and he can take over and request higher res/better scans if needed. Emails will probably go out sometime this weekend.

Thanks for the update! Two of the shots I submitted were digital photos of prints, and in the interim I got them large-format scanned. The new files should be a lot more appropriate for publication.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I thought that was being farmed out to me....? WTF did I buy this gimp suit for?!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

elgarbo posted:

Five days to go.... I'll be mercilessly culling anyone who was selected but hasn't bought a copy, so get in and get a copy ASAP.

I'm finally pledged, I like waiting until the last second and being really annoying. Also, it looks like one of my coworkers pledged. What a nice surprise! :3:

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

So one of my local friends ordered a copy and her's got here nearly a week ago. I hope my two copies didn't disappear into the aether... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

McMadCow posted:

So one of my local friends ordered a copy and her's got here nearly a week ago. I hope my two copies didn't disappear into the aether... :smith:

Never mind, arrived today. Looks awesome!

• Locked thread