Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Hey guys wait for me I'm in too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

elgarbo posted:

What does print ready mean?
There's probably people who know the answer to this better than I do, so feel free to chip in. For my purposes, I need a file that is at least about 2000 pixels wide along the horizontal plane. Unless your idea of art is having your photos printed to look like a smudgy mess (which may be an improvement, I concede.) Preferably, you'll have calibrated your monitor so you're pleased with the colours in your shot as well.
Do you know what the print area of each page is? If so, we could send a file with the correct dimensions to print at a chosen size, so it will be sharpened to the level intended and not altered by any deliberate reduction in photoshop (sharper) or fitting to canvas in indesign (less sharp). Also, an image sharpened for print will look terrible on screen.

ExecuDork posted:

So I am unfamiliar with the level of importance granted by a body of work being curated by a single individual, absent any professional or institutional affiliation. If I'm accidentally implying that SA is comparable to a museum, I apologize, but I think this website is at least as significant a thread going through this project as anything else.
Stating SA as a link would understate the juried/curated element. As a reader and as a participant, I would find it a turnoff. It's better to present the work as that of people with an unspecified link.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

McMadCow posted:

I would absolutely love to curate/edit a future issue.
Ditto

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Mido posted:

hosed up submissions go to the "bart radfucker" zine which will only be printed so they can be filmed being thrown into a dumpster and burned

Cool, maybe we can get an update on Professor Dahlia.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

McMadCow posted:

Thanks for the update! Two of the shots I submitted were digital photos of prints, and in the interim I got them large-format scanned. The new files should be a lot more appropriate for publication.
Did you not see the post on page 3? Autisms is rephotographing our submissions with his Mavica and the zine will be printed from those files.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

rear end photo with QR code linking to rear end photo. Fake comedy option is digital rear end photo should also have QR code, for infinite rear end.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

elgarbo posted:

Generally, shots are justified to the top of the page, centered with the bleed area as a border. Obviously that means portrait oriented shots get more page real estate but there's not much that can be done to solve that (other than crossing the fold, but then there wouldn't be space for two photos.) Obviously, I am open to any other suggestions that might solve this problem that I'm missing, but I've been poring over photobooks to get layout ideas and this is what I've found most palatable so far.

90% of submissions are in the same format, so I've been opting for symmetrical layouts across the double page spread. In the cases where I have different crop sizes or different orientations, I've just been experimenting until I find something that looks pleasing to my eye.
If we're aiming for a consistent, clean design, I'd be tempted to make all images have apparently equal area rather than print each one to fill as much page area as possible. Given some images have different aspect ratios, I'm suggesting what one perceives to have equal weight, not necessarily what is actually equal.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

alkanphel posted:

While that would be consistent, I kinda feel that's just probably going to end up wasting space on paper. I'd probably go with the solution of rotating landscape shots to turn them into "portrait" orientation, maximizing the space. And although I do think it could possible be jarring, ultimately this isn't a sequenced photobook but a showcase of separate works so the continuity in that sense doesn't really matter so much IMO. But I guess the final choice should be Elgarbo's, since he's the one doing all the hard work.
Space around the images is a design choice, to allow images to breathe, help flow, change the relationship between opposing or following images, act as punctuation... - terrible to consider it wasted space.

I've seen books where turning works very well, amongst other devices that remind the viewer that he/she is looking at a book. In this instance, it's unlikely to work, and would merely serve to change the relationship between the selected pairs.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Putrid Grin posted:

I have been thinking about doing this in some of my books, but I haven't figured out how to make it work well. Mind dropping some titles where I could get some ideas of how to go about it?
The two best examples are probably Stephen Gill's Coming up for air and Claes Oldenburg's Photo log, May 1974 - August 1976.

Chris Killip's In flagrante also requires the viewer physically manipulate the book to reveal a clear image, through use of shiny paper prone to glare.

elgarbo posted:

Definitely not going to be able to please everyone in this regard. I'll keep tinkering with it, though.
It may not seem it, but I'm not really bothered about how this is ultimately done in this zine.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Good stuff, looking forward to all those untitled photographs.

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

rohan posted:

(No drunk, belligerent video on the Kickstarter? For shame.)

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

nielsm posted:

By the way, for all the international shipments, remember to do the customs declaration right.
Printed matter: pictures of kangaroos

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

bobmarleysghost posted:

Rest of the money should be used to open up the official Dorkroom gallery in whatever city it's cheap enough to buy such a space in

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Received mine yesterday. Good to see the mix of work in there!

My copy has some lattice pattern indentations to about a fifth of the pages from the front. No damage to the cover and the affected pages are printed perfectly, so it looks like someone stacked something on top of them after printing before binding. It's ruined my faith in goon projects. :smith:

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

elgarbo posted:

Hey dude, no idea what happened there but I'll shoot you out a replacement if you like. Let me know.
Thanks, if you have a copy spare after any that go missing, I'd appreciate it. I'll happily pay postage again - don't want you out of pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Received today. Looks great. Thanks.

• Locked thread