Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Whoops, guess I went on vacation without closing the vote!

:siren: THE RESULTS :siren:
Meoshi xxxxxxxxxxx
Mitarashi xxxxxxxx
Shidou xx
Shirabe
Urabe x
Wakasa

Mitarashi's might be off by one by accident but either way Meoshi is the winner! So sometime when I'm back home I'll start recording and updating again! Hope your ready for awkward romantic situations and embarrassed reactions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

When we finally got outside it was 7 PM and totally dark. The last room had taken us three hours.
I felt a chill go up my spine. If we’d taken just a little longer to finish…
The peace of the quiet night was broken by the sound of a screen turning on and a familiar, unpleasant voice booming over the speakers.

Ugh… You!

I glared at the screen with the pig’s ugly face on it.

Really, you did an excellent job. You used your strengths to complete each challenge. I was quite moved.
As if!
Oink! I imagine you’ve got some idea of what sort of fun you’ll have to look forward to in the rest of our games now, hm?

I felt everyone tense. We knew exactly what he meant.

(We had a bunch of close calls already, and we’ve got six more days of this…)

My chest tightened. We could only go on so long. Sooner or later, we would slip up, and someone would…

(I… I can’t let that happen.)

A sense of somber quiet washed over our group as Hogstein’s words sank in.
Shidou’s voice broke the silence.

Oink? A reward?
Yeah. This is a game, right? What kind of game doesn’t have some kind of loot or treasure when you beat it?

Shidou nodded in agreement.

(They’re right, it’s not fair to have to go through all this for nothing.)
(As for my reward… I’m just hoping to save my uncle.)

Hmph. You might have a point. Oink! Okay! I will grant whatever boon you request!
drat… Pretty generous for a hog.

Shidou’s face didn’t even twitch.
[The music stops.]

…!

None of us had expected that, least of all Hogstein, who began to shake with rage.

Gentle maiden…?
Yes, you cocky little monkey! And I’ve had enough of you too, you snot-nosed brat! And you, meathead! And you, you swindler!
What?! C-Cocky? Monkey?!
H-Hey, what do you mean by “snot-nosed”?!
Meathead?! Are you talkin’ to me, pal?!
I supposed the, ah, swindler would be me…

Stop that, you emo twerp! You too, you hairy old fart! Don’t even get me started on this detective who spends hours on his hair even though he’s going bald!
Wh-What?! I’m not going bald! A-And this is just how my hair looks!
Shut up! Your mother is hideously obese!

Hogstein made this personal and insulted every one of us, just for making a suggestion that he had agreed to! I’m not gonna let him just have his way with this!

Aaah! Soooorrryyyyyyy!
An apology’s not gonna cut it!

[The music stops.]

Oh man, she’s kinda scaring me
Really full of piss and vinegar, isn’t she?

Although he had just been so rude and mean, and just been shocked into apologies, it seemed that Hogstein had quickly regained his composure.

Then, um… why did you get so mad?
Oink oink, oh I just forgot that you’ll all be dead before the week is over, so I can promise you whatever I want.
Ahem! Now then, I imagine all of you are very tired. Fear not, your hotel will arrive shortly. While you wait, you’re free to do… whatever you like.
Explore the park! Eat at a restaurant! This is an amusement park, after all. Amuse yourselves!
Once you’re all finished, please be sure to meet up at the far end of Adventure Village.

[The music stops.]

Ah.

The screen blinked out.

That’s what he said. Not quite sure what it means…
Meh. We’re gonna find out soon anyway. Meanwhile, let’s go have some fun!

Without waiting for a response, he took off toward one of the park directories.

…It would seem he really enjoys theme parks.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

That was probably why he knew so much about this one.

I think he’s still kind of trying to hide it, so maybe we oughta leave him along.
True…

If that was the case, though, he wasn’t hiding it very well. Still, no harm in leaving it unsaid.
Having made our agreement, we all went to follow Mitarashi.

Apparently he hadn’t been listening to Hogstein that closely.

Man… I never got to eat lunch. I’m starving. Can we go look for a restaurant?

I hadn’t realized it until he said it, but I was hungry too. Starving, in fact.

A wise choice. I’ve also grown somewhat puckish.
A man can’t fight on an empty stomach, you know. I think I’ll join you.
Yeah, true, but I think I wanna hit up the main office first. I’ll catch up with you guys later, cool?

He didn’t seem to want to say it, but I had a feeling Mitarashi wanted to try and find something to treat his wound with.

But… if the attractions aren’t working, wouldn’t that mean all the games are offline too?
I still want to check.
We don’t know squat about what’s going on here. I’m going to go see if I can dig anything up.
All right, I’ll go with Mitarashi to the office, then.

He’d gotten hurt because of me. It felt wrong to just leave him…

Huh? Why?

It didn’t sound like he was very fond of the idea.

Um, I…

The brush-off didn’t get much clearer than that.
With that, Mitarashi started walking away, and the rest of the group began to head their separate ways as well.

(Hm… What should I do?)

If I try and convince him to let me come, that’ll be… awkward.

I decided I wanted to go with Meoshi.

(Mitarashi really sounded like he didn’t want me around, so I should go somewhere I want to go.)

It might be nice to see something in this park that hasn’t been turned into some sort of death game.

It didn’t take me long to catch up to Meoshi, who was walking at a very casual pace.

Huh? You’re going to the arcade too?
Yeah. Is it okay if I tag along?
Yeah, I guess so.

We headed off toward the arcade, but…

Yeah…

With the arcade dark, there wasn’t much we could do there, so we turned around and began making our way back toward the restaurant.
We walked in silence for a bit, until Meoshi muttered something weakly.

Um…
Huh? Did you say something?
Uh… Why did you want to come with me?

I just thought I might find out something about you, I guess.

Meoshi blushed and quickly turned his face away from me.

Something about me…?
I’m just an unemployed shut-in, whose only skills revolve around games.
Oh… Um…

He went silent after that. I… wasn’t quite sure what he’d been trying to say.
Meoshi: +1

I frowned and kept walking, but I felt something tug at my sleeve. I turned around to see Meoshi grabbing it.

Uh, I just want to say…
Say what…?
Well, thanks, I guess. For… back there.
“Back there”?
In the hallway. For believing in me.
Oh, right.
…I don’t get that a lot. It was nice.

And with that, he fell silent again.

(He’s a little strange, huh…)

We didn’t say anything else until we reached the restaurant and met up with the others.

We had all finished dinner in relative silence when Shirabe began to speak.
Everyone looked up from their mostly-empty plates.

As far as I can tell, the area outside the park is empty. My guess is the pig’s using the hostages to keep the cops and the media away.
The entrance isn’t locked. If we wanted to, we could just walk out, but then he’d kill the hostages.
There doesn’t appear to be any park employees anywhere: Everything’s being run by the piglets.
We saw it go this morning, but the Ferris wheel is toast. After the blast, the whole thing just collapsed.

Everyone sighed. We’d known things were bad, but to hear it all laid out like that…

Just what is he?
We don’t even know what he really wants. This has to be a huge amount of work… Is he just doing it for… fun?
No idea.
If he is, that’s a pretty messed-up idea of fun.
Indeed. But even so, this seems like a great deal of trouble.
If he wants to see people in danger, why set up games like this? Why do it here?

This seemed like a pretty dire way to finish out our night, so I tried to find something encouraging to say and boost morale.

Well, we’ve still got a long way to go, so we’re all gonna need to work together!

Everybody nodded.

After dinner we headed toward Adventure Village.
Shirabe seemed to know the way, so he was leading us.
The park seemed even more empty at night, until we took one turn and something unexpected entered our line of sight.

Whoa! What the heck is that?!
Ah!

At the far end of Adventure Village, a gorgeous cruise liner had been anchored near the riverside dock.

It’s quite impressive, isn’t it?

We all stared at the ship for a minute or two, amazed by its size and grandeur.

So this thing must be from a game too, huh?
Well, we may as well board.

Keeping a close eye on his surroundings, Shidou headed for the ship. The rest of us followed.

As it turned out, it was just as spectacular on the inside as it was on the outside. The décor wouldn’t have been out of place at a five-star hotel.

drat, I would’ve been stoked to get invited here if I wasn’t in the middle of some stupid game.
Yeah…

They both gazed around the lobby and sighed.
The ship seemed to shake beneath us for a second.

Hm. Is it moving?
Yeah, I think so.

It had begun to move as soon as all of us were aboard.

Shirabe frowned as several piglets appeared.

…! …!
Looks like they still can’t talk.

They began to wave their arms and bodies around wildly, trying desperately to communicate… something… without words.

Are… are they saying they’ll show us to our rooms…?
How can you tell?
Huh? W-Well, I’m… not sure. Just kind of… instinct, I guess?

We followed the piglets to the rooms we’d been assigned.

Gosh, I sure am tired…

As soon as the piglet shut the door and left, I collapsed onto my bed.
After a whole day running around, lying down felt so, so good…

Ugh… No, I’m gonna fall asleep if I stay here!

I had to clean up. With a mighty effort, I hauled myself out of bed and toward the bathroom.

It was about the size of a spacious single in a hotel, but it was neat and pretty. It was also well-stocked with just about everything I could need.
I hadn’t brought anything with me, obviously, but it looked like whoever had prepared the room had anticipated that.

At last…

Feeling refreshed, I finally let myself fall into bed. But…

(So much has happened today… I’m tired, but I don’t know if I’m going to be able to sleep.)

As soon as I lay down, my head was flooded with thoughts of my uncle, the game we’d just played, and whatever game we’d be playing tomorrow.

(Just worrying about all of this isn’t going to get me anywhere…)

The exhaustion from before was gone, replaced with restless energy.
I decided to leave my room and see if I could do something about my newfound restlessness.

[Hello everyone, and welcome to Break Time! At the end of each day, we get a chance to hang out with one of the boys, which generally gets us one CG and one attraction point for whoever we choose.]
[I decided to take a vote from the thread on which boy they were most interested in, and while it got close near the end, Meoshi was the clear winner. So let’s see what our favorite gamer is up to tonight!]

He jumped when I called out, and looked startled when he turned around.
It looked like he had come from somewhere underneath me on the first floor and was walking through the lobby when I caught him.

Wh-What’s wrong? It’s late.
I couldn’t get to sleep. What about you?
I couldn’t sleep either…

That was when I noticed he was holding a can from a vending machine.

Oh, they’ve got a vending machine here? Awesome, maybe I’ll go get something.

Huh?

He held out a can.

Oh, no, you bought that one. I can go get my own.
W-Well, uh, I’ve… actually got another one.
You bought two…?

…Huh?
N-Never mind. See you…
Wait! I mean, we’ve got two, and we both can’t sleep, so why don’t we drink them together?
Uh…
(He’s totally frozen up… Does he just really not want to drink with me?)

I was starting to wonder how long he’d stay like that when he finally spoke.

Exactly!

I plopped down onto the sofa in the lobby. After a second of hesitation Meoshi sat down too, and awkwardly pried open his can.

Are you okay with that one…?
Yeah, I love milk tea.
Huh…
So what about you- Wait… Is that… red bean soup?!
Yeah. I like it. Why… is that weird?
Well, no, I guess it’s not weird… It kind of fits you, actually.
I… see…

Our conversation didn’t seem to be going anywhere, so we just drank in silence.
Eventually, we both finished our drinks.

Yeah, you’re right.

We both started walking towards our respective rooms, but Meoshi called out after a couple steps.

Oh!
Wh-What is it?
Um, just… thanks. For not saying that I’m weird.
Huh?

Meoshi: +1

With that, he turned and left, and I stood there dumbfounded, trying to understand what had just happened.

(Um… what was that…?)

After a few moments I shrugged, and headed back to my room.

I flopped into bed, and was asleep before my head hit the pillow.
[The music stops.]

I had a strange dream that night. An older woman, sitting on the edge of a young boy’s bed. He was restless, but still laying underneath his blankets.

It was supposed to be a peaceful day…
“Is dad awake yet? Should I go wake him up?”
“He he… Why don’t you let him sleep a little longer? Daddy hasn’t had a day off in a long time. He’s very tired. And you don’t want to get tired later, do you? Maybe you should sleep a little longer too.”
“Hm… Maybe. But… but what if it runs away while I’m sleeping?!”
“It’s an amusement park, dear. It won’t be going anywhere. It’ll be waiting for you when you get up. So let daddy sleep in. When he gets up, we can pack some lunches and go to the park together. Does that sound like fun?”
“Yeah!”

Soon, the scene faded away into nothingness.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo authentic goon-dating experience from the girl's PoV ITT.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Yeah, Meoshi's pretty weird.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

ChorpSaway posted:

Please tell me we're getting a romeo + juliet scene somewhere down the line :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was talking to Chorps on Skype about getting soup from a vending machine. Vending machines are serious business in Japan. I can't find the documentary I saw it in now, but there are machines that have cameras on them that determine your age and gender from your picture and give you recommendations based on market data for your demographic.

Here's another neat video about vending machines, including fruit vending machines and hot lunch machines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZmUuRG87sU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, Hogstein is really confident we're all going to die. I suppose he's going to start rigging things in his favor from now on.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I can tell if Hogstein is supposed to be closer to Monokuma or Zero in terms of the:
Ratio of Villain Likability vs Villain Effectiveness

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder what the next game Hogstein has planned out for our characters is going to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can tell you it's not Sweet Fuse anytime soon.

• Locked thread