Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

loose-fish posted:

Any suggestions for a child friendly audio player for local files? This looks basically like what I image but it doesn't work with newer Android versions :/

How young? Our 4y/o kid LOVES his yoto mini. You can buy "blank" cards to load with music. It has parental controls and nothing really to do other than music. He listens to it to go to sleep at night and then we can just turn it off from our phone. Adjust volume, set max volume, play music, etc. Get a silicone case.

Otherwise I would use a honest to goodness mp3 player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Yeah, our 2 year old loves her Yoto. I need to load some of our blank cards, though, so I can stop hearing the same three songs over and over (lol who am I kidding, I'll still just hear those).

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

How young? Our 4y/o kid LOVES his yoto mini. You can buy "blank" cards to load with music. It has parental controls and nothing really to do other than music. He listens to it to go to sleep at night and then we can just turn it off from our phone. Adjust volume, set max volume, play music, etc. Get a silicone case.

Otherwise I would use a honest to goodness mp3 player.

incogneato posted:

Yeah, our 2 year old loves her Yoto. I need to load some of our blank cards, though, so I can stop hearing the same three songs over and over (lol who am I kidding, I'll still just hear those).

We're basically using a DIY Yoto at home (box with Raspberry Pi + RFID reader + speaker + battery) which works great except for the portability and I'm getting tired of making new cards, we're at 20+...
The Yoto Mini looks very nice regarding portability but it's out of stock over here atm... something to keep in mind though!

I was also checking out mp3 players but from what I can tell through youtube reviews the interfaces are absolute garbage and consist exclusively of text which would get very frustrating for the 3y/o.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
3 years old I wouldn't bother with a mp3 player, but the yoto mini is killer.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'm a former Google Podcasts fan trying to find alternatives...

Podcast Addict isn't downloading new episodes in the background. It's retrieving new episodes in the background, on the interval I set, but just not downloading them.

Turned off battery optimization and all that jazz. Any ideas?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

smoobles posted:

Podcast Addict isn't downloading new episodes in the background. It's retrieving new episodes in the background, on the interval I set, but just not downloading them.

Is there a setting that it waits for WiFi?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

No, the Automatic Download setting seems pretty binary, it's either on or it's off. Plus I'm always on WiFi.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

FWIW, I've been trying YouTube Music (non-premium acct) as a replacement and it appears to not restrict podcasts in any way that I've found so far. Background play works, Android Auto works, etc. It has an option to enable auto downloading that appears to work, though I don't usually download eps. I don't see much in the way of customizing for downloads, just on or off per podcast.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Google Podcasts was perfect, seems like the alternatives all have tradeoffs :smith:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

just go back in time and buy pocketcasts before they switched to the subscription model so you get grandfathered in for life

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Use antennapod

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

repiv posted:

just go back in time and buy pocketcasts before they switched to the subscription model so you get grandfathered in for life
Free version is probably still good enough for most. I do use the device sync features though.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

sirbeefalot posted:

FWIW, I've been trying YouTube Music (non-premium acct) as a replacement and it appears to not restrict podcasts in any way that I've found so far. Background play works, Android Auto works, etc. It has an option to enable auto downloading that appears to work, though I don't usually download eps. I don't see much in the way of customizing for downloads, just on or off per podcast.

I find myself in the same boat as smoobles. However, I moved to Google Podcasts after they killed Play Music. Moving to YouTube music after that seems like the definition of insanity.

Desk Lamp fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 10, 2024

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Can anyone recommend a podcast app, ideally with these 2 features that I love from Google Podcasts (Rest In Piss)

1. Automatic downloading of new episodes in the background

2. Ability to quickly add an episode to "next" in the playlist/queue. Ideally with a single button tap (e.g. Podcast Addict makes you go thru a wee menu)

Don't mind paying for it if it's a good app!!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Pocket casts does that. Slide to queue or top of queue (configurable) and if you half slide it gives you buttons for top/bottom. Auto download + auto queue as well.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

smoobles posted:

Can anyone recommend a podcast app, ideally with these 2 features that I love from Google Podcasts (Rest In Piss)

1. Automatic downloading of new episodes in the background

2. Ability to quickly add an episode to "next" in the playlist/queue. Ideally with a single button tap (e.g. Podcast Addict makes you go thru a wee menu)

Don't mind paying for it if it's a good app!!

By next, do you mean add to the bottom of the queue? Cause if so, AntennaPod has these. The way mine is set up, you queue an episode up by swiping it in a particular direction, but you can configure what swiping does, even set it differently in different views.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Antennapod is the best podcast app.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Antennapod is what you want.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Antennapod slaps, thanks for the recommendation! Now I gotta set up a server so I can sync across my devices here.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah you pay for Pocket Casts to do the sync for you. But otherwise it does all that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

You don’t even have to setup your own sync server on AntennaPod. You can just do it through gpodder.net.

Since the syncing involves just a fraction of a megabyte in a text or sql file it is trivially cheap to provide.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005
Note that if you like to listen to podcasts "in order" (oldest to newest) AntennaPod is no good. Maybe it's okay if you stream everything, but that's not an option for me.
After lots of fiddling I was able to get PodcastAddict to work for me though I still find the way it downloads episodes annoying since it wants to fill up to the specified number of episodes as soon as an episode is finished/deleted.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone still use Muzei? It's been a nice source of rotating wallpapers, but a few days ago it stopped rotating. Often I would have just a black wallpaper. If I reboot when that happens, the wallpaper comes back, but I can't get it to change anymore. The only thing I can think of that's changed recently is the Play Services update.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

try disabling power saving for muzei, its background process might be getting killed by the system

Wankie
Sep 11, 2002

Look Glenn we're saved!

loose-fish posted:

Note that if you like to listen to podcasts "in order" (oldest to newest) AntennaPod is no good. Maybe it's okay if you stream everything, but that's not an option for me.

What are you talking about? All you have to do is sort episodes old -> new for that feed and it works perfectly. I listen to history podcasts in order with hundreds of episodes and it works fine. I don't stream at all with 26 gigs of downloaded episodes on my phone.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

You don’t even have to setup your own sync server on AntennaPod. You can just do it through gpodder.net.

Since the syncing involves just a fraction of a megabyte in a text or sql file it is trivially cheap to provide.

gpodder.net has apparently stopped taking on new registrations in the last couple years (server overloaded) according to some reddit posts.

loose-fish
Apr 1, 2005

Wankie posted:

What are you talking about? All you have to do is sort episodes old -> new for that feed and it works perfectly. I listen to history podcasts in order with hundreds of episodes and it works fine. I don't stream at all with 26 gigs of downloaded episodes on my phone.

That works for episodes that are already downloaded. But when I add a feed nothing is downloaded and only episodes that are released after I added the feed are considered by the auto downloader so you have to manually download everything else.
Lots of other podcast apps have the option of always keeping x oldest/newest episodes downloaded which is what I want.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Still pocket casts.

smoobles posted:

gpodder.net has apparently stopped taking on new registrations in the last couple years (server overloaded) according to some reddit posts.

Interesting, this is like a whole podcast service not just a sync backend? It didn't give an indication at a glance that it was open source, merely free to use, do you know any more details?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

AntennaPod is open source, Gpodder is a third party podcast sync service (and desktop Podcast player, it seems like)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

loose-fish posted:

That works for episodes that are already downloaded. But when I add a feed nothing is downloaded and only episodes that are released after I added the feed are considered by the auto downloader so you have to manually download everything else.
Lots of other podcast apps have the option of always keeping x oldest/newest episodes downloaded which is what I want.
Yeah, I read some of the discussion you linked and it's weird how complicated some people think the solution should be, both proponents and detractors. All it should need is a context menu option to mark all below as 'new' and the existing functionality should pick up on it if it's anywhere near competently coded. The app evidently already uses some kind of flag internally for this, it's just not acessible by the user.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
I came across Windows Defender while in the Play Store. I hadn't even know there was a mobile version, actually.

So now I'm wondering two things: 1) Is there any real point of an antivirus program on Android when you run all the default safety features in that unrooted OS? 2) What free or near-free AV would you recommend?

[Sorry for posting this in both of the threads here but I wonder if there would be different responses and I just want to be over and done with this.]

Thanks!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Bright Bart posted:

1) Is there any real point of an antivirus program on Android when you run all the default safety features in that unrooted OS?

Nah, the built-in security should have you covered and even if it didn't, an antivirus wouldn't be any help.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
The windows SOC is ironically probably well suited to catch Android malware given the broad overlap between common exploit targets. Android and windows being likely the two most commonly malwared systems in the world, and one is an amazing lateral movement system - how many windows machines are you on the same wifi network as in a year?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone else use Apple Music? I've discovered that it behaves strangely (and unlike YouTube Music) when starting it via the Google Assistant. If I ask it to play a song, the Assistant will process the result, then I have to open Apple Music to get the song to start playing. This is especially terrible when I'm driving and using Android Auto. I tested with YT Music and it'll play the track even if the phone's locked. Weirdest of all is that asking the Assistant to ply an album or an artist works just fine. I already tried Apple's support, but they said it's Assistant that's to blame, so I should contact Google. What are the chances I'll have any better luck with that route?

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I'd like to set up a simple internet radio streaming app for an older friend who struggles with technology. I only plan to plug in four stations for them to rotate through. For example here's an ancient iOS app I have set up for exactly that purpose:

Any recommendations for an Android equivalent?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This is hacky but you could probably setup VLC on their phone with 4x playlist files.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

This is hacky but you could probably setup VLC on their phone with 4x playlist files.

That sounds like it's worth a shot, thank you for this suggestion!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I bought a random rear end nail clipper for cheap in Japan and it's miles better than anything else I've ever had.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

nielsm posted:

I bought a random rear end nail clipper for cheap in Japan and it's miles better than anything else I've ever had.

Thinking about a pair of nail clippers that's also a radio receiver now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
*three years from now*

Ugh, my nail clipper's software didn't get updated and no longer works with Android 16.