Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
So, Google Podcasts is going away, and I've skimmed the thread and looked into suggestions but people are usually not asking much about the single biggest most important feature for me, and I want to see if I understand this right.

I want a podcast app on Android that will sync with one on my Windows PC. This is the only major feature that is all that important to me, although it would be nice for it to be lightweight, and to import my podcasts from Google Podcasts, and to allow importing podcasts via RSS.

My choices are
1. Hope Spotify stopped being kinda trash someone since I quit using it because the sync quit working.
2. Pay $20 a year for Pockestcasts, because I didn't buy it like a decade ago when it was a purchase.
3. Set up Antennapod, and figure out how to get a Nextcloud Server set up with GPodder Sync, and find a windows player that works right with said GPodder Sync. The main one I hear mentioned, KDE Kasts, seems to be Linux only, also? Actually I think before I switched to Google Podcasts before I might have tried this and had this for the sticking point, but I'm not sure.

Is this right or am I missing an option that isn't terrible? I'm willing to spend, like, $10 once or something, but $20/year is just not happening.

--edit
And if this is right does anyone have advice or a tutorial for doing that third one? I do like the idea of Antennapod, but I have never been able to get the sync to work, actual GPodder.net usually doesn't even load, and the actual GPodder app wouldn't link to any other implementation last time I looked and is incredibly slow and laggy for some reason anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Would you be open to something like this no-name app I just googled and pairing with bluetooth to your windows computer? Looks like you still have to do all the control from your phone sadly. (I don't have a better answer for you around the podcast stuff specifically.)

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9n9wclwdqs5j?hl=en-us&gl=US

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

Would you be open to something like this no-name app I just googled and pairing with bluetooth to your windows computer? Looks like you still have to do all the control from your phone sadly. (I don't have a better answer for you around the podcast stuff specifically.)

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9n9wclwdqs5j?hl=en-us&gl=US

That is. . . honestly probably worth looking into. I hadn't thought of that, but it's really not like I don't have my phone around when I'm at the computer.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The launcher thing linked earlier doesn't really indicate my need: https://grabster.notion.site/6671f3b62d8043c4aaaae22a241e3f05?v=91d9b664887643298f85fe18044d3560

What are some launchers that I can set duckduckgo, startepage, or just any other search engine than Google's AI poo poo?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I use
https://github.com/MM2-0/Kvaesitso

Though the workflow for using it is much more search centric than your typical launcher

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Neo launcher is what I use.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Is there an app that will list a checklist of daily tasks in my notification area? Something like

() Wake up
() Take poo poo
() Eat breakfast

Etc etc. That I can click off as I accomplish? I feel like that's a good spot to remind myself as I compulsively clear out those icons.

(My "I took my meds today" shirt is getting a lot of questions that are answered by the shirt)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Deviant posted:

Is there an app that will list a checklist of daily tasks in my notification area? Something like

() Wake up
() Take poo poo
() Eat breakfast

Etc etc. That I can click off as I accomplish? I feel like that's a good spot to remind myself as I compulsively clear out those icons.

(My "I took my meds today" shirt is getting a lot of questions that are answered by the shirt)

Keep can do that, if I recall correctly. I played with it for a bit

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Deviant posted:

() Wake up
() Take poo poo
() Eat breakfast

Loop Habit Tracker, or any other habit tracker - it's one of the most common type of app for new developers to build, alongside task lists and note takers.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

NihilCredo posted:

Loop Habit Tracker, or any other habit tracker - it's one of the most common type of app for new developers to build, alongside task lists and note takers.

Loop does not do the thing I asked for, in that i can't interact with it from my notification pull down. If I have to remember to go open an app, it's not going to work, and timed pushes don't fit the paradigm i want because these tasks aren't time sensitive. What I want is that if i have a task to 'Take Meds', it just sits in the notification drawer until I acknowledge that I've done it.

Edit: Tasks.org appears to do what i want.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 8, 2024

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Deviant posted:

Loop does not do the thing I asked for, in that i can't interact with it from my notification pull down. If I have to remember to go open an app, it's not going to work, and timed pushes don't fit the paradigm i want because these tasks aren't time sensitive. What I want is that if i have a task to 'Take Meds', it just sits in the notification drawer until I acknowledge that I've done it.

Edit: Tasks.org appears to do what i want.

Tasks.org can definitely do that too, but for the record, I use Loop and can confirm it does do what you want, you just need to enable the "reminder" option. If it's not time sensitive, just leave 00:00 as the notification time and click it whenever.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 8, 2024

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thirded for Loop, I too rely on it to guilt me into flossing, and in exactly the same way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh hey, the watch version of Google Maps finally includes bus travel. Better late than never, much like all these drat buses.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

What's the best shopping list app, now that Google Assistant no longer connects to Google Keep?

(I thought it was just me but I looked it up and there are dozens of us. No solution yet from the good people at Google)

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
I'm quite happy with the Alexa / Amazon shopping list, but then I've bought into the while Amazon ecosystem. I like being able to tell my devices to add things as I think of them.

If not that, Didn't Forget The Milk used to be pretty good

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I use Remember the Milk and it covers all my use cases.

I still miss the app I had for my Palm, though. It could track which aisle items were it at multiple stores, so when shopping, you choose which store you're in, and hey presto, list sorts by aisle. If there's an Android app that can do that, they can have my money.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I use Remember the Milk and it covers all my use cases.

I still miss the app I had for my Palm, though. It could track which aisle items were it at multiple stores, so when shopping, you choose which store you're in, and hey presto, list sorts by aisle. If there's an Android app that can do that, they can have my money.

Was the app crowdsourced or something with that information, or did you have to enter it yourself?

Also, which Palm? WebOS, or one of the ones before that?

drat, a little off-topic but remembering Palm/WebOS brought me back to summer 2009, when I was reading about a (seemingly) three-way race bubbling between iPhone, Android, and Palm. Exciting times...

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

smoobles posted:

What's the best shopping list app, now that Google Assistant no longer connects to Google Keep?

(I thought it was just me but I looked it up and there are dozens of us. No solution yet from the good people at Google)

I still tell assistant to add to my keep shopping list just fine

You have to choose keep in the lists section of assistant settings

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Was the app crowdsourced or something with that information, or did you have to enter it yourself?

Also, which Palm? WebOS, or one of the ones before that?

drat, a little off-topic but remembering Palm/WebOS brought me back to summer 2009, when I was reading about a (seemingly) three-way race bubbling between iPhone, Android, and Palm. Exciting times...

You had to enter it yourself. This was back in the PalmOS era, on my Sony Clie.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

I still tell assistant to add to my keep shopping list just fine

You have to choose keep in the lists section of assistant settings

Yeah it seems like it works for 99% of people which is what's so frustrating. That's Google products for you.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Have you tried making a new list using assistant?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hi. I read the OP but didn't really find a solution to my problem.

I just got an Android phone (Jelly Star because a small smartphone is all I ever wanted) after having been an Apple user and having been made to give up my old SE.

I still have a macbook and that's where all my music is. On iTunes. And now I'm not sure if I can access it on my new phone.

It's not a deal breaker or anything exactly but it is an issue. At first glance there doesn't seem to be an immediate solution but I can't imagine I'm the only person to have encountered this. Any ideas what app could work?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Hi. I read the OP but didn't really find a solution to my problem.

I just got an Android phone (Jelly Star because a small smartphone is all I ever wanted) after having been an Apple user and having been made to give up my old SE.

I still have a macbook and that's where all my music is. On iTunes. And now I'm not sure if I can access it on my new phone.

It's not a deal breaker or anything exactly but it is an issue. At first glance there doesn't seem to be an immediate solution but I can't imagine I'm the only person to have encountered this. Any ideas what app could work?

Apple music is on the android store, is that not what you need?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Apple music is on the android store, is that not what you need?

It is and while this may be me being incredibly bad at tech, it doesn't let me access my library. Not without paying, which I frankly don't agree with. I sort of just wanted a way to transfer music from my computer to the phone and that's not really what's happening here, it was never an issue prior.

I'll keep at it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Itunes songs have been drm-free since 2007 afaict.
You should be able to just grab the song files from ituness folder on your macbook (probably in .aac format), connect your phone as a storage device, then copy them over like any other file, just like you would copy them onto a USB drive.
Then you'll be able to play them in any music player you like as long as it supports the aac format.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 15, 2024

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Itunes songs have been drm-free since 2007 afaict.
You should be able to just grab the song files from itunes on your macbook (probably in .aac format), connect your phone as a storage device, then copy them over like any other file, just like you would copy them onto a USB drive.
Then you'll be able to play them in any music player you like as long as it supports the aac format.

That sounds like it. Thanks! I've found the songs. Now I just need to find the phone when it's plugged into the computer. Shouldn't take too long. Google Music Player will be fine by me.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

Have you tried making a new list using assistant?

Yeah, no luck. Assistant even shows me a preview of the list, with the item I spoke added, but when I tap into the list it's not added.

It's weird, I tried using Assistant to create the shopping list, like you said, and it added the initial requested item to the list, but every subsequent attempt it didn't add anything else.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 15, 2024

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Any recommendations for an AR app to measure distances that won't sell all my data? Fine with paying a small amount.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

google used to have their own but of course they delisted it for no reason

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Widgetify is a pretty nifty app. It can turn web pages into widgets. I have got this small HTML page connected to a free API that shows the electricity spot price, I used this to turn the page into a widget so I can see what the spot price is at the moment, which is relevant to me as I got spot pricing on my electricity.

stratego
May 6, 2007

Currently, if I am running youtube with a notification toggle for a stream to start, when the stream goes live and the notification pops, it will crash youtube.
Without fail.
I will re-start the youtube app and it will apologize for crashing ask if I want resume where I left off.
Trying to search any google support for youtube is impossible.
(This is on a pixel 8 pro btw).

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

So Google Music Player isn't a thing anymore. I can only use Youtube Music and it takes ages to load the next song, like a good 30 seconds sometimes, rarely does it play a song within 5 seconds, and never immediately. I don't know if it's my phone (Jelly Star), which has been running everything like a dream otherwise. I only added 465 songs to be used as a biking/driving playlist. It's not a small amount but it's also not enormous.

All I need is an app that plays the songs I downloaded onto my phone in shuffle on a bluetooth speaker. I looked into Poweramp but as of Aug 23, it doesn't seem to automatically play songs while using bluetooth according to a review. I'll pay if I have to but I'm very reluctant to do so for what seems like a very simple expectation. I'd be pretty annoyed if I got a player that sticks ads into my own songs. Were it streaming fine but that's not the case.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So Google Music Player isn't a thing anymore. I can only use Youtube Music and it takes ages to load the next song, like a good 30 seconds sometimes, rarely does it play a song within 5 seconds, and never immediately. I don't know if it's my phone (Jelly Star), which has been running everything like a dream otherwise. I only added 465 songs to be used as a biking/driving playlist. It's not a small amount but it's also not enormous.

All I need is an app that plays the songs I downloaded onto my phone in shuffle on a bluetooth speaker. I looked into Poweramp but as of Aug 23, it doesn't seem to automatically play songs while using bluetooth according to a review. I'll pay if I have to but I'm very reluctant to do so for what seems like a very simple expectation. I'd be pretty annoyed if I got a player that sticks ads into my own songs. Were it streaming fine but that's not the case.

Try VLC? Not sure if by "automatically play songs while using bluetooth" you mean just proceed on to the next track when one ends, or if you're looking for totally hands-off starting of music when you connect to the speaker. Looking in the settings, there's one to detect headset insertion/removal, and another to resume on headset insertion but I'm not sure if that extends to BT audio devices.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I use PowerAmp, and I can stream it to a bluetooth speaker on shuffle. It's no different than using my bluetooth earbuds, and shuffle works fine there, too. I did buy it, though, so maybe it's not available in the free version?

Edit

sirbeefalot posted:

Not sure if by "automatically play songs while using bluetooth" you mean just proceed on to the next track when one ends, or if you're looking for totally hands-off starting of music when you connect to the speaker.

Oh, if you're talking about this, I have no idea if any app can just start playing music the instant it connects to bluetooth.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

sirbeefalot posted:

Try VLC? Not sure if by "automatically play songs while using bluetooth" you mean just proceed on to the next track when one ends, or if you're looking for totally hands-off starting of music when you connect to the speaker. Looking in the settings, there's one to detect headset insertion/removal, and another to resume on headset insertion but I'm not sure if that extends to BT audio devices.

I mean the former. The review I read said this

quote:

there are Bluetooth problems: when I start to listen to a set of files, the player stops after the first track and I have to move manually to the next track.

I don't mind hitting play at the top of the playlist. That's not a problem. I just want it seamlessly move onto the next track w/out a 30 sec gap. I'll try out VLC. Thanks!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Power amp has a trial iirc, just try it and see

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kheldarn posted:

Oh, if you're talking about this, I have no idea if any app can just start playing music the instant it connects to bluetooth.

I think that's on the bluetooth device's end to send the "play" command when something connects.

Like the bluetooth system in my car will do it but my headphones won't (unless I hit their play button)

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm currently using Auxio, but there are dozens of open source free and ad free music player apps. This isn't a genre of app where the google version sucking means you're running out of options.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

Power amp has a trial iirc, just try it and see

No need! VLC is perfect. Went to the track list and hit shuffle. Plays the next track perfectly with no lag. I'll try it with the speaker tomorrow but there's no reason for it not to work. Tried YouTube music with headphones and it continues to struggle loading tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wow, Pocket Cast updated their widget (and added two new ones) and it's absolute rear end