Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Thermopyle posted:

I switched from Authy to that Authenticator Plus mentioned in the OP. It was a Good Decision.

The app is simpler, it encrypts your code database locally and syncs between devices via Dropbox.

I wasn't exactly worried about Authy having my poo poo, but switching to Authenticator Plus cost me no features, a little bit of money, and a few minutes of time. All in all, you gain security for little cost.

If you're still using Google Authenticator, you would gain a lot of convenience with only the most hypothetical decrease in security. (As long as you trust Authenticator Plus to actually encrypt the db and not be harvesting your info)

Huh, it has a Wear component which, I'm not going to lie, is probably more valuable to me than Authy's Chrome app. Now if I only felt like doing this right now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

I switched from Authy to that Authenticator Plus mentioned in the OP. It was a Good Decision.

The app is simpler, it encrypts your code database locally and syncs between devices via Dropbox.

I wasn't exactly worried about Authy having my poo poo, but switching to Authenticator Plus cost me no features, a little bit of money, and a few minutes of time. All in all, you gain security for little cost.

If you're still using Google Authenticator, you would gain a lot of convenience with only the most hypothetical decrease in security. (As long as you trust Authenticator Plus to actually encrypt the db and not be harvesting your info)

It does involve installing dropbox though, and I haven't used it in years. I'd rather not install another app just for one other app

I do use authys chrome app a fair bit too

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Skarsnik posted:

It does involve installing dropbox though, and I haven't used it in years. I'd rather not install another app just for one other app

You can also use Google Drive I think.

edit: yeah you can

Also, the OP is missing grocery apps. I don't use one, but I was just thinking about getting something set up for wife and I to use. Is Our Groceries still the thing to use?

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 19, 2015

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Thermopyle posted:

Oh cool

I'll be honest, I dont have the motivation to switch at the moment, but one day if i'm bored who knows

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

Taffer posted:

Just yesterday I got materialistik and nova launcher just so I could use it. I've never used a 3rd party launcher but I have no regrets, it's great.

Now I just need a grenade icon that doesn't suck. (sorry I know this isn't exactly the thread for this)

Yeah the guy who made that icon pack is pretty talented. I believe he takes requests as well. Maybe when I get home later I can see if I can contact him and request an awful icon.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Skarsnik posted:

You don't have to have dropbox installed. Auth+ will open a webpage to login to dropbox and grant permission and thats it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thermopyle posted:

Also, the OP is missing grocery apps. I don't use one, but I was just thinking about getting something set up for wife and I to use. Is Our Groceries still the thing to use?

My wife and I used to use Our Groceries (she's got an iPhone), but eventually it stopped syncing at all. Now we use the Kroger app, and it syncs most of the time. I don't know why it seems to be so difficult to sync one account, even though it is across different device types.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Serious question: Why would I use Authenticator Plus over say just Google Authenticator? Like what's the case for it? Does it consolidate all of the individual app authenticators into one like facebook/google etc?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

vyst posted:

Serious question: Why would I use Authenticator Plus over say just Google Authenticator? Like what's the case for it? Does it consolidate all of the individual app authenticators into one like facebook/google etc?

I've got like 10 sites in Authenticator Plus. It syncs them to other devices, or if you get a new device.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've considered moving to something other than Google's Authenticator, but since I only have two 2FA accounts, it's not a big deal for me.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I've got like 10 sites in Authenticator Plus. It syncs them to other devices, or if you get a new device.

drat I have 3. FB, Google, Microsoft

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Can you just import the db to a new device no problems if you lose your current phone?
Yeah, that's exactly how it works. When you set Authenticator Plus on another device it'll ask you if you've used it before. Hitting Yes will prompt you for your master password and what service you used. Provided your master password is correct the app will automatically recover all of your 2FA sites from the backup.

It's incredibly easy to use, and it looks pretty too. It's definitely worth $2.99.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

vyst posted:

drat I have 3. FB, Google, Microsoft

Amazon just started doing 2FA.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Anyone know how to create a shortcut in Nova that would lead to the Reminder function you get to from Google Now? I use Inbox and they have a 1x1 widget that reminds you from within Inbox (and a notification) but it won't show in my calendar, so I'm trying to recreate that action. So if I add a Nova Activities widget I'm just not sure which tree to search for the reminder function in. I've tried Google Setting and Play Services and no luck yet.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 20, 2015

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

Thermopyle posted:

I use Bring! for groceries but I don't think it does any syncing but I don't need it in my situation since I do most of the list making and my wife always goes shopping with me. With the bring app I just like t because it has big buttons and that works for me but I am sure there are much better grocery list apps.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Amazon just started doing 2FA.

Plus a lot of MMOs have 2FA which some of them use the standardized stuff Authy/Auth+ uses. Which is one thing they're fantastic for, you might stop playing those for months/years before going back again and good luck finding your fob or if you've switched devices and "won't ever play again". Though unless it's changed recently it doesn't apply to WoW but does for Guild Wars and Star Wars.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

I use Out of Milk. It's very pretty but the syncing is unreliable.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah Out of Milk was decent, I switched over to Our Groceries because Out of Milk was attempting to sync and then failing or something and it would reorder the list I just finished ordering the way I wanted it. Was super irritating. Our Groceries requires you to go into another mode to reorder things and just seems a little bit better because of things like that (and including a default dark theme).

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

We just use Google Keep for groceries. They finally have an iOS app too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Our Groceries still owns so hard.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
As someone who has never used these launchers before but am seriously contemplating it - what's the difference between (free) Nova Launcher and paid Nova Launcher Prime?

loledit: nevermind just found it at the bottom of the description in the store durrrrrrrrrrrr

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
It says right on the Play Store description https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher.prime&hl=en

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Update to Google Opinion Rewards: Now available in Spain.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Google opinion asked if I have verizon, att, sprint, tmobile or other for cell service.

Other. I have Fi. Oh well, a quarter is a quarter.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Is there a groceries/inventory app that uses the bar code scanner? It seems such a no brainer.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Bhodi posted:

Google opinion asked if I have verizon, att, sprint, tmobile or other for cell service.

Other. I have Fi. Oh well, a quarter is a quarter.

Internally, Google executives are talking to each other like, "No... I thought you were in charge of Fi."

:tinfoil:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DemonMage posted:

Plus a lot of MMOs have 2FA which some of them use the standardized stuff Authy/Auth+ uses. Which is one thing they're fantastic for, you might stop playing those for months/years before going back again and good luck finding your fob or if you've switched devices and "won't ever play again". Though unless it's changed recently it doesn't apply to WoW but does for Guild Wars and Star Wars.

WoW has 2FA but they force you to use their app to do it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think Steam forces you to use their app, too.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Watchdog has been loving up ever since I got pushed Android 6, has anyone got another CPU alert that doesn't suck I could use? I can't even really tell what process is going crazy anymore since it doesn't give regular names, and I'm not sure it's not just throwing false alarms.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

torgeaux posted:

Is there a groceries/inventory app that uses the bar code scanner? It seems such a no brainer.

Our Groceries does but I've never used the feature.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Bhodi posted:

I have Fi.

You like it? I'm thinking of switching soon.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm not thrilled, I'll be switching back to cricket sometime this year.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Uthor posted:

I think Steam forces you to use their app, too.

They want you to use the app, but they still do it with sms.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Julet Esqu posted:

I love it. The price is right, and in my area both AT&T and Sprint have strong tower presence so I've never had service issues.

I wish I had gotten the smaller phone though; the nexus 6 is too big for me.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Does no one use Wunderlist for groceries/list syncing? It's great, and even has a Chrome app!

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

BoyBlunder posted:

Does no one use Wunderlist for groceries/list syncing? It's great, and even has a Chrome app!

Me and my girlfriend do. Sync works flawlessly across iOS and Android devices.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

torgeaux posted:

I use Mighty Grocery.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Thanks! This looks like it covers what I wanted, namely a way to see what I already have in inventory.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

vyst posted:

WoW has 2FA but they force you to use their app to do it.

Right that's what I was saying. Authenticator Plus actually supports it too. But battle.net blocks the app in the US according to their Twitter account. They said you can try using a Euro VPN and once it's active it'll keep working but it's frustrating and not something I want to bother with.

Same thing with FF14, I don't think it uses open standards either. I'm hoping it won't be much of a problem going forward and will largely only apply to this legacy stuff.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Nov 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skywalker OG posted:

They want you to use the app, but they still do it with sms.

Can I ask how you set that up? I'm looking at my Steam Guard settings now and have the choices of "app", "email", and "off". I don't see SMS.