Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

TraderStav posted:

Zedge, was introduced to it this weekend and our house has been abuzz with the hilarity of too much variety.

Loads of 'normal' notifications/ringtones as well.

Looks good, is it safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

always be closing posted:

Looks good, is it safe?

Just turn off notifications from it because it tries to offer you crappy games and crappy live wallpapers.

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I'm the other guy that uses it (I think I'm the most vocal about it). I use it because I'm a niche case where Beyondpod does exactly what I need it to while Pocket Casts couldn't. I know all of the ins and outs of the app so I don't have any problems with it.

There's 3 of us then. I love BeyondPod and have never had any problems with it. I've tried using the paid version of Pocket Casts for a while and couldn't stand it. It was slow and buggy and also lacked a lot of features I wanted.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

SystemLogoff posted:

Just turn off notifications from it because it tries to offer you crappy games and crappy live wallpapers.

I never disabled notifications and never got a single peep from them. Seems safe so far. Nothing scummy hit my radar.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Souffle posted:

There's 3 of us then. I love BeyondPod and have never had any problems with it. I've tried using the paid version of Pocket Casts for a while and couldn't stand it. It was slow and buggy and also lacked a lot of features I wanted.

I've just started trying Podcast Addict as a replacement for BeyondPod, and after one day, it didn't freak out when switching from headphones to my car's bluetooth, which is the one glaring issue I've had with BeyondPod, so so far, so good.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

I've just started trying Podcast Addict as a replacement for BeyondPod, and after one day, it didn't freak out when switching from headphones to my car's bluetooth, which is the one glaring issue I've had with BeyondPod, so so far, so good.

The bug happened today with Podcast Addict, so it must be something independent of the app. Back to BeyondPod I go!

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Are there any volume boosting apps that work with a Galaxy 10.1?
I've tried multiple off of the play store and none of them seem to do anything. Many videos I watch on my tablet seem to have a low volume even with headphones.
The same files sound perfectly fine on my laptop.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Wanted to pop in to recommend MX Player. I was using VLC to watch video files, but the android app is really annoying sometimes (If you switch tasks for too long, it loses your place and restarts the video. It also pauses and forces you to hit play when you drag down the notifications, which is a pain in the rear end.)

MX player works well and fixes those 2 issues so I'm getting good use out of it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Jmcrofts posted:

Wanted to pop in to recommend MX Player. I was using VLC to watch video files, but the android app is really annoying sometimes (If you switch tasks for too long, it loses your place and restarts the video. It also pauses and forces you to hit play when you drag down the notifications, which is a pain in the rear end.)

MX player works well and fixes those 2 issues so I'm getting good use out of it.

I've been quite a fan of MX Player and it works with nearly everything I throw at it. My complaints about it are minor and shared with every other player including VLC and owes to them being mobile apps and inherently limited.

I really should pop for the pro version. It's been earned.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

The google+ app on my Nexus 5 won't open, it just sits at the logo screen with a big G+ in a red circle. How can i make this work?

e: I opened it through a notification that someone had posted to a group i'm following. I just noticed that if I hit the button to go to task switcher, I see it show the content of the post for a split second as it is shrinking down to the switcher card or whatever, but then goes back to the G+ logo screen.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 1, 2015

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

peepsalot posted:

The google+ app on my Nexus 5 won't open, it just sits at the logo screen with a big G+ in a red circle. How can i make this work?

e: I opened it through a notification that someone had posted to a group i'm following. I just noticed that if I hit the button to go to task switcher, I see it show the content of the post for a split second as it is shrinking down to the switcher card or whatever, but then goes back to the G+ logo screen.

Have you tried clearing the apps cache? Seems to clear these types of problems up a lot.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
The Google+ app has actually never worked but you're the first person to notice

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

peepsalot posted:

There was a fairly large update to G+ over the past few weeks that's had some non Play Store stuff pushed at the back end too. I wouldn't uninstall updates but I would clear it's data and cache.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I didn't see it in the OP or the first few pages so I wanted to post and say how much I like Truecaller. It's an app that has a floating box displaying the caller ID / company name / etc of non-contacts when they call. You can block them by auto-rejecting or just a silent ringtone, as well as the option to auto-reject everything from a community-based list of known spammers and marketers. Call spam may not be an issue to some people but once you get on a few call lists it's really tough to get off them. It also identifies actual humans who call you, and they have a separate dialer app too if you want better integration.

The app is free and the premium features don't seem to do much other than exist as a "support the developer" kind of thing.

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 1, 2015

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

OgNar posted:

Are there any volume boosting apps that work with a Galaxy 10.1?
I've tried multiple off of the play store and none of them seem to do anything. Many videos I watch on my tablet seem to have a low volume even with headphones.
The same files sound perfectly fine on my laptop.

Do your headphones have high impedance? From what I understand volume booster apps are by and large useless because you'd need root to actually change how much voltage is going through the headphone jack.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The rear end Stooge posted:

The Google+ app has actually never worked but you're the first person to notice

This reminds me of this thing I saw a couple of days ago which reminded me of this thread but not enough to get me to remember to come post it. (lots of reminding and remembering in that sentence)

http://www.globalwebindex.net/blog/google-plus-is-more-popular-than-you-think

Basically, according to those guys, G+ is fairly popular everywhere except North America where only 16% of internet users 16-64 "contribute" to G+ in the last month. It looks like G+ is way more popular in developing markets than it is in established markets like North American and Europe.

This makes sense. When everyone (G+, FB, Twitter, whatever) are basically starting out from zero, network effects aren't weighing against G+.

Then again, I don't know anything about that sites data, so it might all be bullshit.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mogomra posted:

I use airdroid for this, but the second device is always a laptop or desktop, so it might not work as well for you. Thinking about it, I don't know if airdroid supports device to device transfers since I've never tried.

You can open it in Chrome or whatever as usual, bit clunky on a phone but it works fine

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
Has anyone else had issues with Pocket Casts crashing? When it does it, it marks the currently playing cast as read and I lose my progress. It's super obnoxious!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

habanero walrus posted:

Has anyone else had issues with Pocket Casts crashing? When it does it, it marks the currently playing cast as read and I lose my progress. It's super obnoxious!

Can't way I have, and I use that app a fuckload. Does it actually crash ("Sorry, Pocketcasts has stopped working" or whatever) or does it kick itself out of memory and stop playing?

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can't way I have, and I use that app a fuckload. Does it actually crash ("Sorry, Pocketcasts has stopped working" or whatever) or does it kick itself out of memory and stop playing?

It's the latter I guess. It would be weird if my phone was running out of memory, I've noticed it doing it when it switched from my wifi to 4g (not streaming) quite a bit (phone is just in my pocket, I'm not using it for anything except podcasts at the time), or when I'm playing what seems to be relatively undemanding games (Threes and Hungry Cat Picross are the only games I play).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Have you tried clearing the apps cache? Seems to clear these types of problems up a lot.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

There was a fairly large update to G+ over the past few weeks that's had some non Play Store stuff pushed at the back end too. I wouldn't uninstall updates but I would clear it's data and cache.

yeah this did it, thanks

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
what is the latest voodoo ritual we're supposed to do to know the space anything is taking on the phone? The Storage setting is bad to the point of being gross, how does a person with an actual diploma and the job to design that screen thought it would be ok to not discern between internal and external storage when looking for how much space a particular app takes? It doesn't even sort by size and there are tens of motorola.this and motorola.that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
It does sort by size, just not right away. It'll first give you a list of all the apps, then (slowly) populate the sizes, then, after a few while, sort by size.

If it still doesn't, hit the hamburger menu and select "sort by size".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
And if you want to get super nerdy about it, get DiskUsage.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Uthor posted:

It does sort by size, just not right away. It'll first give you a list of all the apps, then (slowly) populate the sizes, then, after a few while, sort by size.

If it still doesn't, hit the hamburger menu and select "sort by size".
I actually noticed afterwards but the sizes are still a mess between internal and external storage so it's completely worthless still

hooah posted:

And if you want to get super nerdy about it, get DiskUsage.

Will it tell me exactly how much of each storage unit it's using? Like:

shadowrun | 500 MB internal | 300 MB external

or something like that? And then will it allow me to sort by usage of internal storage space only? Because otherwise it's still almost completely worthless.

Edit: oh and by "shadowrun" I mean any app, the shadowrun game was just the first app I remembered.

program666 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 2, 2015

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
As far as I'm aware, it can only scan each partition separately, but it will definitely tell you how much space a thing is using. It's akin to WinDirStat or Sequoia View for Windows in the presentation aspect.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

That's a pretty great app dude. Thanks a lot.

System Data is probably the android OS right? It seems to occupy a tad over 5GB of my 8GB internal storage, is this normal?

Edit: Also, it's really underwhelming to find out that the worst offenders are google own apps that can't save their huge history data on the external SD.

program666 fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 2, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Google play now allows payment of partial balance from credits when buying off the store!

Now get out there and give google your personal opinions!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

program666 posted:

System Data is probably the android OS right? It seems to occupy a tad over 5GB of my 8GB internal storage, is this normal?
Yes and yes.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

still I just checked and whatsapp reports as only occupying 140 MB in the DiskUsage app but the folder has a 400 MB size because of it's backups, so I guess DiskUsage is actually not useful in the least hahahha. Oh well, I cleared some 500 MB during this whole thing so I got at least tomorrow noon before my phone nag me about lack of space again.

Edit: actualy DiskUsage is a pretty neat way to check entire trees' sizes at a glance

program666 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 2, 2015

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Is there any particular reason to use PushBullet over AirDroid, or AirDroid over PushBullet? It looks like they do mostly the same things.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

Google play now allows payment of partial balance from credits when buying off the store!

Now get out there and give google your personal opinions!

I just checked this out and wasn't given any indication that I could do a partial balance payment?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ElegantFugue posted:

Is there any particular reason to use PushBullet over AirDroid, or AirDroid over PushBullet? It looks like they do mostly the same things.

AirDroid is half the price if you upgrade to premium :v:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ElegantFugue posted:

Pushbullet itself doesn't do local transfers, right? Everything has to go through their servers?

I use Airdroid for putting stuff on my devices and as a basic file manager for the occasional time I need that. I use Pushbullet to send links to devices, mostly as a 'look at this later' thing, or to send the occasional small file like a pic I might want for a wallpaper or whatever

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
So now what happens if I just... never update Pushbullet?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Eventually you'll slip up and update it.

Also, I would imagine they could block older versions from functioning server-side which would make it useless.

E: If I really need to put stuff on my phone or tablet, I set up a bittorrent sync folder. It's full of gifs I can post in my facebook messenger group chat though :v:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hooah posted:

Unless they're completely incompetent the free account limitations will be enforced on their backend, so all you achieve by holding back the update is your client getting confused when you hit the limit rather than telling you to :homebrew:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Pushbullet itself doesn't do local transfers, right? Everything has to go through their servers?

I use Airdroid for putting stuff on my devices and as a basic file manager for the occasional time I need that. I use Pushbullet to send links to devices, mostly as a 'look at this later' thing, or to send the occasional small file like a pic I might want for a wallpaper or whatever

They do have Portal, which is a separate app. It only mentions PC to device, does Airdroid to device to device?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Does a camera app exist that does both HDR+ and AE lock? I'm so tired of touching a subject in my photo and having the exposure wonk out because it's a vastly different color than the rest of the scene.

Also, exposure compensation is still broken on all Android devices, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I was more interested in sending files than links, so airdroid might be the better way to go, then, thanks! New question: any suggestions for auto maintenance? Keeping track of services completed, when oil changes are due, that sort of thing?