Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm looking for an adjustable strobe that will do 60hz. edit; for clarity, I want to strobe the LED on the back of the phone, not the screen.

Most of the apps are about syncing with music but I don't care about that, I want it for a stroboscope. I found one called LED Strobe that is what I want but only does 25hz. Also I searched the thread and nothing came up. There are a lot of strobe apps so going through them one at a time is taking forever. Hoping someone can narrow it down.

edit; link added

wormil fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

wormil posted:

I'm looking for an adjustable strobe that will do 60hz.

Most of the apps are about syncing with music but I don't care about that, I want it for a stroboscope. I found one called LED Strobe that is what I want but only does 25hz. Also I searched the thread and nothing came up. There are a lot of strobe apps so going through them one at a time is taking forever. Hoping someone can narrow it down.

A 60hz strobe on a smartphone is the same as "always all white". Phone screens are 60hz. You would need a minimum of 120hz to do a 60hz strobe. Unless I'm misunderstanding and you want a 30hz strobe

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Taffer posted:

A 60hz strobe on a smartphone is the same as "always all white". Phone screens are 60hz. You would need a minimum of 120hz to do a 60hz strobe. Unless I'm misunderstanding and you want a 30hz strobe

Yes, 60hz would appear to be a steady white light. But neither a white screen nor steady LED works. I don't understand, "You would need a minimum of 120hz to do a 60hz strobe." But I electronics isn't in my wheelhouse. Is not 1hz = 1hz? I've been using a fluorescent light, the older ones are 60hz but I was looking for an LED strobe. I know I can buy an LED strobe light but I was hoping to find a phone app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If you want something that strobes 60 times a second, it will also need to turn off. So, it needs to switch on and off at 120hz to get 60 strobes a second.

If something can only switch state 60 times a second, it can only strobe at 30.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So you are saying it's impossible for a cell phone LED to strobe at 60hz?
Maybe I wasn't clear or maybe it doesn't matter but I want to strobe the LED on the back of the phone, not the screen.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

wormil posted:

So you are saying it's impossible for a cell phone LED to strobe at 60hz?
Maybe I wasn't clear or maybe it doesn't matter but I want to strobe the LED on the back of the phone, not the screen.

Oh well that is a very different story. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible, but you might have to make an app for that yourself since it's a pretty specific request. Shouldn't be difficult.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Okay, thanks. I previously found this one that does it but only to 25hz. I might contact the author and ask if there is a technical reason it doesn't go higher.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.easylabs.strobe&hl=en

edit; just found this one
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jsoft.stroborpmhzlightfree&hl=en&rdid=jsoft.stroborpmhzlightfree

edit2: SUCCESS!

wormil fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Feb 7, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Using SMS Backup+ is a great way to get out the habit of needing all your messages ever to be on your phone

They'll be in Gmail, easily searchable, and restoring them to your phone is pretty pointless

Then it's just another thing you can not worry about when upgrading or wiping

This is the correct answer. I've used it for years and it's great.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I ended up with a new phone, so now I have an old android phone with a partially cracked screen that just sits below my monitor, propped up by a popsocket. Is there anything neat I can do with it, considering I leave it plugged in and on all the time? I thought about getting a folder full of fantasy art and just setting it to slideshow through them, but any other fun suggestions for what to do with a five-inch screen are appreciated.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Appoda posted:

I ended up with a new phone, so now I have an old android phone with a partially cracked screen that just sits below my monitor, propped up by a popsocket. Is there anything neat I can do with it

Depending on how bad the screen is, donate it. They use donated phones to give out to seniors, domestic violence victims, and other people that need them but can't afford one. You can possibly write it off on your taxes, and even if they don't use it, they'll recycle it properly.

I know that's not a "fun" answer, but it could possibly help someone instead of just wasting power.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You can turn it into a webcam/security cam, I guess.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I have Fenix for Twitter, and I like it well enough, but it uses a lot of battery if I forget to close it. Any other recommendations?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

always be closing posted:

I have Fenix for Twitter, and I like it well enough, but it uses a lot of battery if I forget to close it. Any other recommendations?

Flamingo seems pretty okay. I uninstalled it in favor of Fenix but I don't remember exactly why. I think it handled links from other apps poorly or something.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

I use Talon, but it is also a motherfucker for battery; my guess is because their "Talon Pull" so I can get "push" notifications from Twitter is a trashfire.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Appoda posted:

I ended up with a new phone, so now I have an old android phone with a partially cracked screen that just sits below my monitor, propped up by a popsocket. Is there anything neat I can do with it, considering I leave it plugged in and on all the time? I thought about getting a folder full of fantasy art and just setting it to slideshow through them, but any other fun suggestions for what to do with a five-inch screen are appreciated.

Make it a custom auxiliary keyboard, this is gaming oriented but you can use it for pretty much anything: http://www.roccat.org/en-US/Products/Gaming-Software/Power-Grid/Home/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I wasn't sure where to ask this so apologies if this isn't the right thread but I am trying to upgrade the sdcard in my Moto G4 from a 32gb to a 128gb and am not sure how to do it since there are apps installed on the old card. I googled but 99% of what I'm finding just tells you where to stick it and where the settings menu. The others say to copy the files to your computer but that won't work because it all looks like one drive to my computer. I'm probably not using the right search string because it's hard to imagine this is a rare scenario.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Are you sure the apps are actually on your SD card and not an emulated internal SD card? Most of the time nowadays apps are only installed on three main system.

If you're not sure you can pull the SD card out and quickly tell.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

wormil posted:

I wasn't sure where to ask this so apologies if this isn't the right thread but I am trying to upgrade the sdcard in my Moto G4 from a 32gb to a 128gb and am not sure how to do it since there are apps installed on the old card. I googled but 99% of what I'm finding just tells you where to stick it and where the settings menu. The others say to copy the files to your computer but that won't work because it all looks like one drive to my computer. I'm probably not using the right search string because it's hard to imagine this is a rare scenario.

Did you adopt it as internal storage? If you go into Settings and the Storage section, it'll either show up under Device or Portable Storage. If it's portable you can just remove it. If it's under Device then you adopted it and it's combined with the internal storage as a single volume, you can't just swap it out

Apparently you can tap the Internal Storage bit and use a Migrate option to pull data back into internal storage. You'll need enough room to do this so you might need to delete things, clear caches and whatever. Once that's done there's apparently a Format as Portable Storage option if you go into the SD card's section in the storage menu, and then you can pop it out

e- I've never done any of this so imagine lots of handwaving

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Under storage I have 3 items, Android OS, Internal Storage, and Sandisk SD card. Under the menu for the sdcard the options are: rename, eject, format as portable, migrate data. The latter seems to be moving data from the internal to the sdcard. If I choose "eject", I get a warning message that any apps on it will stop working and the card will not work in any other device. And in fact, the apps stored on the device do stop working if I eject it.

Only way I see to do it is uninstall anything I don't use, which isn't much, move everything I can to internal storage one at a time, delete anything that doesn't fit and reinstall after. What a pain in the rear end.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wormil posted:

What a pain in the rear end.

Yeah, it's almost like SD cards are dumb idea or something.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's meant for putting a card in and leaving it there permanently. Having an option that moves all your stuff back to internal storage sounds like it makes stuff as painless as possible to be honest

It's like putting a second hard drive in your computer because the first one is too small, and linking them as a single volume - making Windows see them as a single drive with more space. You can't just pull it out later, important stuff is probably on there. Once you connect the two they're meant to stay together, like when you adopt an SD card as internal storage instead of removable

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
And the inevitable bashing starts, thanks to those who tried to help.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Where am I going to store all of my 4k animes?!?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wormil posted:

And the inevitable bashing starts, thanks to those who tried to help.

No bashing, the point is there just isn't a good way to use them. If you use them for storage only, users complain that they have no room for apps because the internal space is too small and manufacturers use expandable storage as an excuse to gently caress you on storage (true, to a degree). If you give them the option of marrying them to the internal storage, users don't understand why you can't just remove the card and destroy the filesystem (as you did).

Neither option is good, though I'd argue for the educated user the latter is preferable for a number of reasons. Of course educating the user that once it is done the process cannot be reversed is difficult as I'd hope you can now see. The fact that Google went out of their way to implement merged storage in such a way that removing the card does not wipe the device immediately is far further than Microsoft went when choosing the same for Windows Phone 7.

I'm certainly open to hearing how you'd choose to implement things.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Deathlove posted:

I use Talon, but it is also a motherfucker for battery; my guess is because their "Talon Pull" so I can get "push" notifications from Twitter is a trashfire.

I have used talon pro in the past and loved it, but I think I stopped using it when the dev stopped working on it and got a job a Twitter. Has it been updated lately?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I have used talon pro in the past and loved it, but I think I stopped using it when the dev stopped working on it and got a job a Twitter. Has it been updated lately?

Its been getting bug fixes, no new features. I hadn't heard that about the dev.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

That was Falcon Pro, Talon is another app from a different developer

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Ohhh, OK. Thank you for the reco then.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I use Talon Pro and have no battery issues like the other guy, it never features on the battery list, but I am not a heavy user - I only bought an app to get away from promoted tweets and while you were aways.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Mogomra posted:

My Google Voice app got updated recently, and now I don't get incoming calls. I'm told it just says some error number when people try to call me.

That's cool.

Mine completely hijacked my stock messaging app.

Double notifications on texts after the update (stock app and voice), turning them off leaves me getting NO notifications or texts even coming in. Wife was unable to send me attachments anymore also... What a mess.

Don't know about calls coming through. I uninstalled after having it for several years. Nice job google!

Krime fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 11, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

So, I've been using Nova Launcher prime for years, sometimes switching to Smart Launcher. What's a good alternative that isn't a nova clone? I'm kind of bored of my interface and I'd like to try something else.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've been liking KLWP for a while now. Lots of good themes in the Google+ community.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Guillermus posted:

So, I've been using Nova Launcher prime for years, sometimes switching to Smart Launcher. What's a good alternative that isn't a nova clone? I'm kind of bored of my interface and I'd like to try something else.

Action launcher is my favorite Nova alternative.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Guillermus posted:

I'm a Lightning Launcher aficionado. I used it with my old Moto G first gen for performance reasons, but it can be a rabbit hole of customization and scripting if you want it.

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
Has anyone else seen this icon when using Google Maps?

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Lightbulb Grease posted:

Have we ever panned over a buddhist temple, do you mean?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lightbulb Grease posted:

Sounds like someone needs some reflection time at the temple

Lightbulb Grease
Aug 9, 2006

Oh, hi girls. Tom Cruise here.
Soiled Meat
It's supposed to be a hotel, not a Buddhist temple.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Lightbulb Grease posted:

It's supposed to be a hotel, not a Buddhist temple.

OK. Well, it's perfect legitimate for a manji symbol to show up on maps, which is what your question sounded like it was about.

As to why it showed up for a hotel, I'd go with some one-off Android maps weirdness. Doesn't show up for me at that location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

Have we ever panned over a buddhist temple, do you mean?

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

OK. Well, it's perfect legitimate for a manji symbol to show up on maps, which is what your question sounded like it was about.

As to why it showed up for a hotel, I'd go with some one-off Android maps weirdness. Doesn't show up for me at that location.

You can answer people's questions without being so loving smug about it. Besides, every buddhist temple I've ever seen on Google Maps has used the Dharma Wheel as it's symbol.