Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Peachfart posted:

I tried this, no success. Thank you though.

Settings > Apps > Triple dot menu thing > Reset All App Preferences

Maybe there's some background task that got weirdly assigned to Maps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Peachfart posted:

Tried this, still pops up randomly. If I restart my phone it stops it until I open up maps, and then it starts going crazy. It even likes to interrupt itself, as if maps is open and actively used it will pop up a message asking if I want to exit navigation so it can navigate to the place I'm already navigating too.
Google.

Other than a factory reset I'm not sure where to take that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Enigma posted:

I need a recommendations on calendar software and am hoping you guys can help.

Our office uses a cloud-based platform that includes a company-wide shared calendar. The platform provides an .ics link. Our iOS users can add the calendar directly to their devices by adding the link, but Android does not appear to have native support.

We have been using a workaround where Android users add the .ics as a shared calendar to their gmail account (we use Gmail for business) and then sync that with their device, but there's a problem. Google calendar only refreshes the .ics like once a day, so the devices are never up to date, which is really bad.

Any recommendations on a good alternative to the stock calendar that supports .ics?

Try Nine. It's got a trial before you have to plop down 20 bucks a device.

Alternatively, how much of an in does your office have with the developers of this platform. How hard would it be to work with them in figuring out something more Android friendly?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, you might not be able to. Its more geared towards merging OWA/365 accounts into native Android. Figured it might be worth a try.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I don't use G+ for the social stuff but my fiance and I like Locations. It'll be a shame when Google finally kills it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Nope

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scudworth posted:

Google's removing/hiding features and then reintroducing them like they're new and special over and over again is some hosed up kind of corporate gaslighting.

This has been available for years if you were on G+. I'm looking at real-time locations for 20 of my google contacts on a map right now.

:psyduck:

There's zero chance of a non nerd discovering location sharing in G+. Naming it Latitude as a part of Maps back in the day was dumb, moving it to G+ was even more retarded. This is the best solution. The only funny part is Google labeling it as "Hey look at this new thing" instead of "We hosed up and put this in a place where 8 people would find it a few years ago. Our bad."

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I had already updated everything to no avail. A reboot got me there.

Simple but effective interface. Good to have it back in Maps.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kheldarn posted:

I just checked my phone, and I now have Location Sharing, but I seem to have lost the compass icon in top right corner. Any idea how to restore it?

The compass now appears to auto hide if the map is oriented Top/North. If you rotate, it appears.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Montalvo posted:

Has the Google app poo poo the bed for anyone else recently? My wife and I both have Samsung S7 Edge phones with the most recent version of Android our carrier will allow (7.0) and since upgrading the Google app has become unresponsive for us both. Not only is the search bar unresponsive (typing a query and hitting enter does nothing), but launching the app itself leads to a blank page with the Google logo and a perpetually spinning loading icon. People in various places recommend clearing the app's cache, but that hasn't solved the problem for either of us.

You guys aren't in the Google app Beta are you?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Jigoku posted:

Ughhhh. I just opened Play Music and it signed me out for some reason. I logged back in and the 15 or so albums I downloaded on it were deleted for some reason.

I have it set up to use my SD card but all my photos and the music I uploaded from my pc are all still there so it looks like GPM just randomly shat the bed.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think they've been increasing nation-wide. I've talked to numerous people that say they've gotten an above-average number of spam calls over the last few months.

Same. Getting a ton.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I haven't received a spam call since turning on T-Mobile's network-side spam blocking at the beginning of the month.

I don't entirely trust it, just have the ID turned on. Been spot on though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

So basically, you're like everyone else that has to use multiple apps.

I hate everything and everyone.

:negative:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It's honestly not but I like to complain about it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Kinda now just realizing that WhatsApp has a terrible icon.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

pretty cute to be honest and its stuff like this I'm happy to see added so my family can try to peel themselves away from snapchat.

still need the desktop client :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scudworth posted:

Phiinix Jordann May 28, 2017
(one star)
I don't like the Saturn icon, we're not on Saturn we're on earth

This is art.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Just tried it out and wow, looks and feels just like a google launcher in regards to Now swipe. This was the one thing keeping me off 3rd party launchers.

Seriously, its perfect.

e: aside from the annoying beta/sideload crap

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just tried it out and wow, looks and feels just like a google launcher in regards to Now swipe. This was the one thing keeping me off 3rd party launchers.

Seriously, its perfect.

e: aside from the annoying beta/sideload crap

aaaaaaaaaaaand the honey moon is over. Twice so far today its needed a force restart to allow swipe left for Now

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah I removed it as the default. Super disappointing, hope it gets worked out.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Stan Taylor posted:

Is there anything that acts like MS paint? I just want to make dumb photo edits and do stuff like copy paste part of an image and overlay text. There's a ton of photo editing apps but basically I just want like snapchat functionality without all the baggage or giving my data away to some weirdo.

Snapspeed is Google's image editing app and does text. It's fairly robust but adds text easily enough.

Markers is a very simple drawing app made by a Google employee that let's you load files and you draw on them like actual mspaint but doesn't do actual text.

For both I actually use Allo. I created a group chat with myself and my GV number. Allo's built in image editing does drawing and text. Just swipe away the extra Hangouts notification when you're done. Hangounts will not give you any further notifications of images sent there since it doesn't know what to do with those. Plus things you create there can be moved around via Google Photos like anything else.

e: I'm sure there's something more all in one out there someone will post though. :v:

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 17, 2017

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

vyst posted:

It's actually snapseed. Just saying in case he looks and can't find snapspeed :)

I've been saying it wrong for years and never noticed. :stare:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

Are there any dialer apps that can block outgoing numbers?

Put your phone away before drinking?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Speaking of Allo, it's been a month since the initial rollout of selfie gifs and I still don't have it active on my phone. I've tried reinstalling Allo, rebooting, clearing its data, etc. Google's product forums are a wasteland of broken English and "experts" giving zero actual help.

Allo is hands down my most favorite messaging app but lmao at adoption of it being effectively zero.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an app that automatically cycles through space-themed wallpapers? The NASA app used to do that and I used it for years, but it seems like they removed that functionality. I've tried another couple of random "space wallpaper" apps and none of them seem great.

You can try Muzei then add the Muzei Reddit plugin. Worked well for years but recent reviews on Play arm to indicate some are having issues. Could give it a shot.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I used GV as my work number for years. Actually a really good use case for it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
You can change the provider in Weather Timeline from Dark Sky to something else if you're having accuracy problems. A weather app is only good as the data source you have it set to.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I tried aCar back in 2010 and it's refreshing to see an app that never felt the need to move beyond the Froyo era of design. Right down the isometric icon, it's like a time capsule.

aCar is really good and does what it sets out to do perfectly but yeah, god drat dude, spend the time and updated the visuals.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

loving finally

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fadam posted:

What's the best Android phone optimizer? CCleaner?

Reset to factory

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Uthor posted:

I must have watched two dozen five second Duo ads on YouTube today. I don't know anyone with Duo, so I'm still not gonna use it.

YouTube Red is worth every penny I pay for it.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

diremonk posted:

Is Paprika still the go-to app for recipes? I remember it used to be the one that everyone recommended but looking at the recent play store reviews has me wanted to wait before I spend my rewards fun bucks.

It hasn't been updated since August of 2016 so likely abandoned.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I'm nerdy but not 10 loving dollars for a weather app nerdy. Good Lord.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I remember loving Swype when it first came out and even ponied up for its original paid version but it just turned into a laggy mess. Is it better now?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Swype is still Swype. They'll make an update that ruins it somehow then six months later make an update that fixes it and so on and so forth. Right now it's in the working phase.

They've fixed all the problems I've had with it (ugly, secondary characters were theme dependent, capitalization gesture was removed, lag) and if it never changes from where it is now I'd be satisfied.

Okay, cool. Swype seems a little finicky with punctuation but overall the prediction seems much better. A shame, Google Keyboard used to be so good.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
I didn't think it was possible but the new aCar update made it even uglier.

Edit: and it removed the ability to see all your owned vehicles simultaneously in the charts. What the gently caress?

Edit again: holy poo poo its getting hammered in Play Store reviews.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 19, 2017

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Please post a screenshot. It's always been my go to for the most neglected UI on the Play Store.

I can't imagine why no one ever made a competitor. It's not like it does anything complicated.

New "home screen"

The record browse screen (new car, not a lot of records)

The new graph section which inexplicably allows you to see multiple fuel grades for ONE car but not fuel in multiple cars. Why the gently caress would anyone need multiple grades in a single car short of maybe a time or two over the years?

Like you pointed out, there are no competitors that do all the things I normally do in aCar so I put up with hits old and very strange style choices. This new one is....what?
I have almost a decade of data in this thing so I'm not really thrilled with the idea of changing to something else but jfc

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 20, 2017

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Honestly I'd call that not bad, but it's definitely not great. In just terms of UI I guess I can't point to it and laugh anymore.

As for the charts issue, I've found that those things are mostly useless anyway. Why do I need to know $/gal ever? Are we crowdsourcing historical CPI data for the government now? Yeah, I know gas was expensive in 2011, everyone knows that. I care about mileage at best and maybe an historical record of how much I've spent.

Like I said, I just don't get it. aCar and everything like it is just a database and yet it's the only game in town.

We'll have to disagree on the design, I find it atrocious. At least the old version while being dated was still novel (ie loooool) and not abrasive.

As for the charts and stuff, people like to nerd out about numbers, hell, every thread in IYG is a testament to that.

I can understand decline these days as more and more cars have info panels that display MPG but I find it informative to see just how optimistic the car thinks as opposed to getting the actual result. Like you though I don't understand why there aren't other apps that have the same feature parity. It's baffling.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Blue Train posted:

Fuelio does the same thing doesn't it? They both have a million downloads

Never heard of it but I'll give it a whirl. I'm guessing I'm going to lose years worth of data though.