Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Month is another great calendar widget with great functionality. Tap the header, see the whole year (or open an app of your choice), check out moon cycles or event descriptions in the month view, and add events from the widget itself. Good job, you did it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Hotzenplotz posted:

I have been using Signal (used to be called textsecure) for text messaging. No idea what these other apps can do, but it does what I need perfectly fine. Plus it can encrypt your messages if that is important to you for some reason.

Thermopyle please rename the thread Android Apps - if you don't have at least 4 messaging apps you're doing it wrong

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Anyone know how to create a shortcut in Nova that would lead to the Reminder function you get to from Google Now? I use Inbox and they have a 1x1 widget that reminds you from within Inbox (and a notification) but it won't show in my calendar, so I'm trying to recreate that action. So if I add a Nova Activities widget I'm just not sure which tree to search for the reminder function in. I've tried Google Setting and Play Services and no luck yet.

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 20, 2015

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Lowen SoDium posted:

Play Music Family plans are now available, at least for me.

Got to settings in the Play Music app and there should be a setting for Family plans.

Now to find the other person in the world who uses it instead of Spotify and rake in that $3 a month

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I use Play Music too, I just don't know anyone else IRL that does who I can split the cost of the family plan with.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Facebook Messenger made some neat changes today. Text bubble color, emojis, and nicknames for contacts. It's all pretty gimmicky but its fun to change the colors and the thumbs up to a turd and act like nothing happened.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
If this new messenger service that Google is gonna put out isn't the Google Messenger that already goddamn exists I'm gonna LOST MY poo poo

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Offered as a brief respite from Messenger talk, I just started using a "brain training" app called Elevate and while I won't speak to its effectiveness as a brain trainer, boy is it a beautifully designed app. Check it out for free and tap on some words and poo poo or whatever I dunno. I wish more people would design their apps like this.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
They never were, hth cyaaaaa~

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
facebook poo poo on my dog

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Because stop futzing with your phone ya big doof

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Google Now Launcher actually switched back to vertical app drawer recently, too. I've even gotten some use out of the favorite apps at the top of the app drawer even though I initially saw no purpose in it and had it disabled.

Sure, its the same apps I have in folders on my home screen but I've launched apps from it enough times to say I guess I kinda get it.

Google Now Launcher became my go to when I decided I was done loving with margins and home screen grids literally all goddamn day. I decided to go all in with Google and let them do all the futzing for me and I'm .24% less trapped in my phone because of it.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I prefer to act on my voicemail thru the dialer.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

devilwu posted:

Are there any good repertory management ? I have two Google accounts and I'd like to merge my contacts into one account and delete all doubles.

Import them from one account to the other and then identify and merge duplicates.. You can do all that on Google Contacts website

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I don't even have the version with podcasts yet and I'm on a N6P

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Skeezy posted:

This could very well be an Android N issue but is anyone using the FB Messenger able to send video at all? I can view videos just fine but I cant make or send any at all. I'm on a 6P.

It's probably N. I have a lot of other issues with Messenger like colors, custom emoji, sending audio, etc..

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Are there any new and exciting apps that sync contact photos from FB/IG/whatever else?

I've been using Sync.ME but it recently started throwing up ads with no option to buy my way out and that'll be a deal breaker if there's any other app out there that's half decent..

I'm pretty sure HaxSync is defunct, correct me if I'm wrong, and UberSync was stuck in Gingerbread last time I saw it so... yeah.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I'm wondering this too.

UberSync got a Material redesign but will only grab a user's info if they also have the app, or have allowed or will allow the app permission so you can send them an invite which I'm not gonna fuckin' do cause I was already the "hey man everybody should use hangouts" guy

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
The Facebook Messenger app is cool and good at doing things like a) hanging out with your buds, b) sending gifs, c) apping, and d) doing literally nothing else bad

give it a shoot, and tell them Old Hank sent ya!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
No u ain't gonna

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

What about vibrate patterns

The apps that allow you to manipulate vibrate patterns (Textra is a good example of this) do so from the in app settings, same as the sounds. There aren't many widely used, first party apps out there that have this feature built in though.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Taffer posted:

I'd love to see Google build in universal notification management into Android. Where you can go into each app and customize how each separate notification from the app works, sound/light/vibration etc. The apps that attempt to do this (lightflow for example) are notoriously unreliable and don't work for a ton of stuff.

Dude, I feel you on this, but as someone who used to live in app menus and constantly adjust home screen grids in Nova - I also really appreciate a settings menu in an app like Google Messenger that is super bare bones. The app just works, take it or leave it. This speaks way more to my own lack of self control than anything else I guess, but I seriously don't need the option to change the LED color and vibrate pattern in every app I own because that's all I'd ever do.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I was just watching a video on Facebook and it threw up a notification to cast it, but I'm not connected to my chromecast, and now I can't dismiss the notification. My girlfriend has been having this same issue (same network and proximity to chromecast and stuff) as she watches a lot more FB videos than I do. Long press on the notification reveals that it's Facebook and the only way to get rid of it seems to be restarting the app.. any ideas?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Still no emoji predictions though.. :c00lbutt:

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Try Month. It should do everything you want and it's got a lot of great themes. The only thing I didn't like about it is that the app shows up in my app drawer even though it's just a widget, but I'm a fuckin insane person so you'll probably be fine.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Oh sorry, I didn't see the schedule request. If you look in the more apps by that developer they have a schedule one too.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Tsyni posted:

Wowwwww. I feel slow. That's perfect. Thank you.

Man I fuckin love it when the answer to "what is an app that does this kinda weird and specific thing I want?" is "you already have the app bro"

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Inbox recently asked me if I only wanted to receive important notifications and I kinda absent mindedly said OK and then got almost no notifications until I factory reset my phone for an unrelated reason and made sure not to say OK that time. Maybe you guys did that?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

hooah posted:

Haha, nothing drunken or whatever. I occasionally have reason to call my city's information number, which is 311. But I do it so infrequently that I can never remember if it's 311 or 411, and 411 is a $2 misdial on Verizon. They're not able (or more likely, not willing) to turn off that service for my number. Their best suggestion was to create an information contact, which is ok, but not rally great since it's a lot faster to dial three digits than to look up a contact.

Pro-tip - when you call 411 tell them you were disconnected before or that they screwed up somehow and ask for a credit. It's a keystroke for the operator and they don't give a single poo poo because they're just trying to make their calls less than 10 seconds. Morally ambiguous I guess but no harm no foul.

Source: I worked for a 411 call center like 15 yrs ago lol

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Call History tab in dialer, tap the number, Block/report spam.

Or settings > call blocking

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
There may be a 3rd party app that allows you to dump all unwanted numbers into one contact and send that to voicemail hell, in fact I've seen someone mention that kind of thing here before, but I don't remember what it was.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I haven't seen the new widget display an actual event yet, and my calendar is chock full of them. I love the new folder animation and I noticed that I'd you move around a Google app icon, there is more depth to them, meaning the white circle lags behind the actual icon if you move it around fast enough. Neat little touches like that make me geek out hard.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

LastInLine posted:

Rita from Androidpolice had the same issue with the widget. Worked fine for me, but my home screen before had a DashClock widget that did exactly what the At A Glance widget does and with better granularity so I don't think I'll keep it around. Making the weather smaller is uncool too.

Overall I can't help but feel it's a step backward though I definitely like the search bar down low.

Was there a fix for the widget?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Inbox doesn't have ads, yet, so that's neat.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

fishmech posted:

I tried it years ago, but I was always capable of reading my emails and unsubscribing/marking as spam things I didn't want. So what is it doing to help?

I've never seen the Gmail app insert any ads, is that a regional thing?

I guess so, I always just assumed it was The Way Of Things. Little banners at the top of the conversation list.

Inbox also gave you the ability to snooze emails which I'm pretty sure wasn't always baked in to Gmail, but it appears to be there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Yes let's discuss your ineptitude for another page or so