Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm sorry if this has been answered, I've skimmed the last bit and can't figure this out. If I use Allo to send a message to a contact with a phone number, without them already having Allo, what actually happens? What would they see/receive?

I'm struggling to understand the point of this, over Messenger + Hangouts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

They would recieve a text from a number they wouldn't recognize as google relays your text through their own texting network.

also if you send another text a day later there's a decent chance it will come from a completely different number that time.

That's....really really stupid. What. Uggggggggggggggggggh.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Oh, so if someone has the latest play services (which most should have??) it's a more seamless experience?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yes, very much so. Here is me getting an Allo message from a buddy when I didn't have it installed.

Oh weeeeird. That's good for Android users who have the latest play services I guess, which again I think that probably covers a majority of phones at least here in north america would be my guess? Doesn't solve the issue of cross platform though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I let G+ manage my photos and I've never seen a blank contact picture in Hangouts. Admittedly though, I only receive about 10 SMSs a year since SMS is dead and buried so there isn't a lot of opportunity for a fuckup.

I have actually seen this before on a friend's Nexus and what was causing it was the way her Yahoo account was syncing with her contact list. It was causing duplicate entries for the same people that would never stay merged and the only fix was to delete the existing threads and stop syncing with Yahoo.

Even so it's time to face to bloodshed and stop using Hangouts for SMS. Also to stop using SMS.

SMS is used extremely widely here, it's not dead and buried. You say you get 10 a year, I get 30+ per day. The vast majority of my friends are on iPhones, and very few of them use Hangouts, they don't have a need to. Just because you want SMS to be dead, doesn't mean that it is.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google Fit is a little basic/simple/minimal, but I use it for my workouts and it's great. It syncs with my Pebble too, so tracks my hikes and bike rides.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

It doesn't give a flying gently caress about what your phone's rules are for Do not Disturb if someone sends you a Hangouts message.

Hangouts definitely follows the rules for Do Not Disturb on my phone.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

What the gently caress then? Even when they send a hangouts message to you? I double checked that so and so dude isn't a starred contact but this one dude's hangouts messages still come through even in do not disturb hours.

Yup, it'll come in silently if Do Not Disturb is enabled, and I'll see the message after my meeting or sleep or whatever. This is an actual Hangouts message, not SMS within Hangouts or anytime.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

What's new with the Android Samsung 7 update? How do i get rid of the annoying VoLTE sign at the top of the screen? Cheers

:what:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm having an issue with Google Photos on a new Note 7. I can log into my account and see all my photos just fine from all time, full res, metadata, etc, but say on the device I want to share that photo on Hangouts or Instagram or something. If I try to share to an app directly from the photo in Google Photos, it tries to download the picture prior to sharing but craps out after a few seconds and says there was an error. I can tap the 3-dot menu, and there is an option to "restore", I tap that and it appears to download the photo (filename displays in the notification) to the device. Then, it looks like it's trying to appear at the most recent entry in the main Google Photos photo listing, but most of the "restored" images are grey and not viewable. I have confimed via the web interface that the pictures in question all there, in proper resolution and metadata, and look just fine from there, this is just an app issue.

I'm not sure what is going and have never seen this before on any device :(

e: oh interesting, this seems to be the issue I'm having: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/photos/wMjlfYkLSRU/HNE3Gnt0BQAJ
e2: Yup, the google drive download thing works fine, this seems to be a Photos app issue, god dammit

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 29, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Shot in the dark, but have you confirmed that the Photos app has all the necessary permissions, specifically the storage permission in this case?

Yup. Hasn't prompted for any other permissions, it does have storage access.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

By far the worst part of every Android device forever, is when I get a new one or wipe one, and have to "restore" anything. It's never worked to any acceptable degree.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yet another service not available in Canada :|

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Speaking of parking reminders, is there a way to set them manually. Like "okay google remember where I parked"?

I don't drive to most places because transit and biking are good, but I remember Google Now telling me without asking where I parked. It seems to sense if I stop my car and get out and walk somewhere, and marks that as my parking location.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

but as the last several posts have mentioned, it's hit or miss on whether that actually works. I'd rather be able to set it manually but I couldn't even remember how to set a pin in Google Maps.

Oh sorry, I missed that. Yeah, not sure if there's a manual method. To set a pin you can tap and hold in Google Maps though, right?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My car doesn't have bluetooth, so sure that might be it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I still use Pushbullet, is that a faux pas now?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LastInLine posted:

A lot of people are turned off by their subscription pricing but if you can afford it or if you aren't bumping up on the limits it's certainly the best at what it does. I like Join a lot as a Pushbullet replacement but I'll be real, it doesn't have the polish or ease of use that Pushbullet does. On the other hand it's literally the work of one guy so I don't really expect it.

Fair enough, I don't use up to the limit on Pushbullet so still like/use it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Who wants to take bets on how much longer Hangouts will be supported?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/1...eplaced-by-duo/

Why would they not replace it with Allo :confused:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

beerinator posted:

Why couldn't the features of Duo or Allo be incorporated into the existing Hangouts?

Because Google

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tapet is totally worth paying for too, imo

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

They're definitely not always $1 CAD, most of mine average 50 cents Canadian.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

I'm not exactly clear on this, but I think there's a way to implement VPN services that don't use Android's built-in VPN service and it's Android's built-in VPN service that works the way I mentioned.

Yeah, the built in VPN functionality falls under "Android System" or something I think

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use KeePass on Windows, Google Drive to sync the db, and Keepass2android on my phone. It works perfectly and there's no micromanaging. Save the db to your cloud storage folder once and never fiddle with it again.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Note that LastPass has been breached more than once, will remain vulnerable, and your only real safeguard (which most of you probably use and if you don't you really should) is two factor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's cool, I'm not telling people what to use or passing judgement, just posting a precaution.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

To be fair, when a lot of people recommend KeePass over Lastpass they also say within the same sentence that they throw their password database up on dropbox or Drive so they can sync it anywhere. At that point, what's the difference really?

The difference is that KeePass database is encrypted with a key only I have, so literally doesn't matter if someone compromises my cloud storage and steals the file because they won't be able to access it.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 23, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mikl posted:

I need an app to back up my text messages to my PC, complete with timestamps and the like. And, if possible, restore them to the phone later. What should I use? :)

Does it have to be your PC? Can you use Carbonite (renamed to https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore)? It backs up to XML files on your Google Drive, etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

The Google stock camera does slow mo, but I don't see any options for additional control beyond start/stop recording.

Google stock camera slowmo was so bad on the 6P that it basically didn't work. I'd have to reboot my phone before using it just so it wouldn't skip/jump/lag all over the place. I have high hopes for the Pixel.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My mom has a Nexus 6 and does really well with the default Google Now launcher actually. It's a big bright screen with icons big enough for her to read and touch easily. She went from an iPhone 4 before that, and absolutely loves and actually has started asking me what big phone she should get next. So I recommend that!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Is there an app that will tell me what keeps turning my WiFi off? It's very annoying, and also kind of odd. Any time I'm somewhere with public WiFi, if I move out of range, within 15 mins. my phone turns off my WiFi. Even if if I manually turn it back on, within 5 mins. it's off again.

I've already gone to Advanced WiFi settings, and made sure that it's not set to disconnect WiFi automatically or when the signal is weak, and that it is set to keep WiFi on during sleep.

What phone do you have? Are you rooted/running a custom ROM?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Uthor posted:

Saw that in the app update notes and immediately went to look for the settings to turn them off.

Wait, why would you want to turn them off? This is a massive improvement over SMS, making it more like iMessage, etc

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Android.txt

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CascadeBeta posted:

That's definitely something I'm considering. I'm assuming the libraries are similar enough?

I personally found it better than spotify for the music I listen to.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

The radio thing is really really good

Is that the part they got when they bought Songza? Yeah it's awesome.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alternative pants posted:

Been using nova launcher for a while now, any other good launchers to consider that are recent?

I use Google Now/Pixel/Nova. Nova is very good and very customizable.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adding my agreement, Tapet is amazing, buy it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Scudworth posted:

I have found over and over again in the past 4 years of using it that Google Photos misses/skips photos.

I've never had that problem and I've been using Google Photos since the start......

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Google released a new app for "scanning" old photos into Google Photos and it works great, I've tested it on a few already

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/15/google-announces-photoscan-app-digitize-old-photos-improved-editing-tools-google-photos/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.photos.scanner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Not compatible with the Pixel XL? Huh?

http://i.imgur.com/rP1kuZF.jpg

Gotta be a region thing. I'm running it on my Pixel XL in Canada right now.