Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

terre packet posted:

Can I get some recommendations for weight tracking apps? The primary feature I'm looking for is a trend line that shows whether you're losing or gaining weight overall, like what the iOS app Weight Diary does.

I've been fine with Google Fit for this, but there is also Libra, which a lot of people like. Haven't looked at it in a while, though, so couldn't tell you how it compares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Montalvo posted:

... the only tiny little frustration is that there doesn't appear to be an option to hide folder names in Nova ...

I'm 90% certain there is a way to do this. I'm no longer using Nova so I can't check the settings myself, but all of a few weeks ago I was and I had all labels hidden. At least I'm pretty sure I did...

Maybe try the folder-specific area of the settings?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I haven't had huge problems with Gboard, but it's possible I'm just oblivious.

One thing I only noticed lately is Gboard fixing prior words based upon those that follow. As in, it'll get one wrong, but if I just forge ahead and keep typing, it'll go back and correct the last word based upon context. I don't know if it's just become more aggressive about it, or I'm only just noticing. It does tend to be correct when it happens, though.

It makes me wonder if my predictions would be more accurate if I leaned into the contextual fixes more. It's really hard to break the habit of correcting each word as I go, though.

On the other hand, I corrected several misfires just while typing this post...

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

I'm pretty excited for this. My wife and I use Glympse to coordinate all the time, even though I find the app kind of clumsy. It'll be nice to have it integrated into Maps. Also easier to send location to family/friends who don't want to install a whole separate app (everyone I know has Google Maps installed, except maybe a few iPhone users).

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I finally got the maps location sharing update yesterday. Immediately tried it out by sharing my location with my wife. Amusingly she does not yet have it, but Maps on her end prompts her to update her app, taking her to the app store... where no update is available. Seems like a gradual rollout could be kind of confusing to lay people in this instance.

However she was able to view my location when on a computer (and logged into her account on maps). Kind of neat I guess.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Is anyone else having all sorts of old/unwanted contacts show up when trying to share location in the new Maps feature? My wife shows up like three times, as does another friend I tried it out with. Each of them only have a single entry in my contacts app. I think the extra entries in the maps sharing may be unused email addresses that I've merged long ago. But even if so, the Maps sharing doesn't give any indication which is which, so I just get to guess which "Bob Smith" I should send it to. Guess right and they get a notification, guess wrong they get an email to a dead account.

Seems kind of odd given that sharing across Android has become pretty smart and streamlined, but a new feature rolled out in an existing app inexplicably works differently.

See: thread title.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

TwistedNails posted:

I tried switching to it recently and we had issues with the web app not showing messages when we were in another tab or program at work. We pretty much always had to manually check and refresh the page to get chat updates. This was happening both on my windows PC in chrome and my partners Mac at her work in chrome.

The app works great on our phones but the browser issue is a big deal that I couldn't get a fix for, have you ever had that issue on Google Chrome?

I've never had that issue with WhatsApp web, and I use it fairly often. This is Chrome on Windows 10.

I have had issues in the past with web not getting updated when my phone went to sleep or something. Just waking my phone up fixed it. I haven't seen that in months though. Might have been an issue with my phone in particular.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Uthor posted:

Is this a Pixel thing or an Android thing? Doesn't seem to do anything on my Nexus 5x.

I'm on a Pixel so can't​ directly answer your question, but make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom. It's the last thing below all the context sensitive stuff that holding circle brings up.

Also, as noted before, it doesn't work on the home screen. Try it in an app.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Montalvo posted:

Has the Google app poo poo the bed for anyone else recently? My wife and I both have Samsung S7 Edge phones with the most recent version of Android our carrier will allow (7.0) and since upgrading the Google app has become unresponsive for us both. Not only is the search bar unresponsive (typing a query and hitting enter does nothing), but launching the app itself leads to a blank page with the Google logo and a perpetually spinning loading icon. People in various places recommend clearing the app's cache, but that hasn't solved the problem for either of us.

No issues here (Pixel XL). Maybe it logged you out or something? Although I'm not sure how you'd log in again if you can't open the app. Sorry, that's the best I got.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Montalvo posted:

Opening the app is fine, but this is all that happens:

I'm going to try to log out of my Google account from the phone's settings and see what that does.

Weird. That big grey box at the top of your second image is where it should show you logged in with an account. Does hitting the little arrow there let you log in? Or is there a place to log in if you poke around settings?

It's very likely nothing to do with being logged in, though. I don't want to imply I have any idea what I'm talking about.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nova Launcher is pretty drat good.

Yeah, this was always my go-to when I needed a new launcher.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Tunga posted:

Just add them to an album?

Yeah, this is what I'd do if I wanted to continually find the same photos over and over. Just title your album Favorites or something. I can't see how that would be substantially different than a favorites tag anyway.

Then again I'm assuming this is from Google Photos, where albums are pretty easy to make and review. I can't speak for other gallery apps. (but seriously, use Google Photos, it amazing and probably Google's best app)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ornithology posted:

Any recommendations for an SMS/messaging app? I'm getting quite annoyed due to the fact that half my friends use WhatsApp, a quarter of them use Hangouts, and a quarter use SMS. Now that Hangouts doesn't do SMS anymore, I'm stuck having to toggle between 3 different apps all for the same purpose of general text messaging. Are there any apps that can consolidate these systems? Regardless, any recommended SMS app to replace Hangouts would be useful.

The only combo app that I am aware of is Facebook Messenger, which I believe can do SMS as well as Facebook messaging (don't know first hand, never used it myself).

For SMS apps, either Android Messages (made by Google--didn't this used to be called Google Messages?) or Textra. Textra is more customizable, but I find the basic Messages app to do just fine for me.

Edit: and yes, the fractured state of messaging on Android is stupid as hell. It is a frequent (and justified) area of complaint in this and other Android threads.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

monster on a stick posted:

Is there any way to configure Android Auto to chug less data in the background? I have Fi and every megabyte matters, and it happily pulls down about 5 meg each way during my commute even though I don't care about traffic information because I live in Seattle and the traffic always sucks. I only care about using it to easily control podcast/audiobook playback and for handling texts and phone calls if they come in.

I don't use Auto and don't have the same data concerns, but some ideas:

Maps has a "wifi only" option in it's side bar. Maybe try enabling that? I'm assuming the setting gets applied to Auto when it uses maps, but who knows.

Also, have your usual driving area downloaded as an offline area. Not sure how much data that will save, but it can't hurt.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

XIII posted:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603

I just got a Fire HD 8 yesterday and installed the Play Store using the apks listed here. Things were a little janky at first, but I think it was just Play Services trying to get all setup in the background.

I also got a Fire 8 on Prime Day and followed that same guide. Worked great and no issues have cropped up.

I think I saw some posts recently in that thread which said you need to restart after setting it to allow apps from unknown sources, but before installing the APKs. Seems like some people who didn't do that had issues, but those who restarted at that point worked fine.

Not sure that helps you (Montalvo) much now, but it's the only thing I can think of.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

bull3964 posted:

This allow web client is the most hacked together poo poo ever.

Put your phone in airplane mode and see what happens to the web client.

Do it?

Yup, stops working.

The web client routes messages through your phone and fails if it can't.

It's exactly how the WhatsApp web client has always worked. Not saying it's ideal, but it's not a unique approach. They're trying to preserve that phone = account thing that WhatsApp also does. I think it's very intentional.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm having my first ever issue with Google Photos. Or maybe the camera? Pixel XL.

I tried to take a long (20+ minute) video during the eclipse. I was sad to see after it was over that it stopped recording around the 16 minute mark. I could watch the video, it just ended abruptly at some arbitrary point. But it was there at least.

The next morning the video is simply gone from Photos. However, there's the little note in the app that three items are in the queue to upload. Despite being on wifi all night and the video uploading to Dropbox just fine.

Now a week later that message is still there. I don't care about the video, but it seems to have gotten Google Photos stuck, and it's forever uploading something that doesn't exist (??). New photos upload fine as far as I can tell.

I've tried clearing cache and rebooting but it changed nothing. Do I reinstall? Will that mess anything else up with my photos account?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Kazy posted:

Did Flamingo just disappear off the store? I could've sworn I saw it just this morning.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samruston.twitter

That location works for me, anyway. I'm in the US, in case it's a regional issue.

At least I assume that's the correct one.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Kazy posted:

Do you already have it installed?

Looking at Twitter they might've run out of tokens.

Yeah, but only purchased and installed as of a few days ago. Maybe I grabbed the last one? Sorry.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I have no idea what any of that means. Is the Flamingo app I linked to above okay to use?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I'm looking at traveling overseas (vacation, not long term) and am considering grabbing a SIM card locally for data.

How does swapping a SIM like this affect apps like WhatsApp that rely on verification via mobile number? I don't really care if I can make calls or regular texts, as long as I can get data for things like whatsapp, email, etc.

I did some searching online, and it seems like it'll probably keep working, but the variety of responses is a bit worrisome. Has anyone ever done this sort of thing and know first hand if it works fine?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

K8.0 posted:

I have a family member with brain damage that has made reading intermittently impossible for them. Are there any android apps that do something like inject a TTS option into the context menu, or otherwise let you read specific text on screen? Most of what I've been able to dig up seems to be aimed at reading everything for blind people, which isn't really useful when you just need something to read a single phrase you don't understand in a text or article.

I have built in text to speech options under my accessibility settings (Pixel XL 1), called "Select to Speak" and "TalkBack". I assume they're standard or at least made available by Google on the play store, since I didn't download them myself. I've never tried them, but I thought I'd point them out just in case you had missed them. Sorry, don't know a lot about TTS over all.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

so as a family subscriber to GPM that also uses (and loves) YTR i'm hosed on pricing.

cool.

I am also a GPM family subscriber, and use the ad-free YouTube a lot. Can you explain why you're hosed? It sounds like our best option right now is to quickly change our subscriptions to YouTube Red family plans, so that we get YouTube premium when this nightmare comes to pass. Or am I missing something?

Which is a dumb loving loophole to have to jump through. Will I lose all my GPM playlists? How the hell will this work?

What a shitshow. I'd run away to Spotify, but I love ad-free YouTube so much. Not feeling like +$2 per month though.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Montalvo posted:

Dark Skies is the most consistently accurate weather app I've ever used.

It's worth noting that Weather Timeline uses Dark Skies data for it's weather source. You also have the option of switching to Weather Underground (and a few others I don't recognize).

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
The waterslide park thing is probably a ringer. They do those for fake locations every now and then to weed out people who lie on the surveys (the park doesn't exist, so anyone claiming to have been there is lying for survey bux). I remember a discussion about a similar one a year or so ago.

I saw a discussion on Android Police speculating that the request for receipts is probably training Google image recognition to know and understand receipts visually. Apparently Assistant/Lens is rolling out a feature to recognize receipts and archive them for you.

Also, tip for anyone who didn't know: rewards money expires. You can check when your next bit expires (but not how much?) by going to Account > Payment Methods in the Play store.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
It's so loving Google to toss out a new app lacking features instead of just slapping a new coat of paint and name on Google Music. This whole thing is a rebranding of their music service, so why not just rebrand your existing music app?

Because Google, obviously.

Or are there some new promised features that would make that not feasible?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

H2Eau posted:

It works quite well, and the mixtape feature is a bunch better than Google Play Music's "radio stations".

I use gpm radio stations a lot, so this sounds promising (they definitely have issues). Can you elaborate on what is improved?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Google Photos just gave me a notification encouraging me to order the "Dog Diaries" photo book it just put together. It's comprised of photos of our new puppy, allegedly.

Except we don't have a dog. All the photos are of our kitten. Who I just discovered shows up in Google Photos searches for both "grey cat" and "grey dog".

AI is the future, and the future is now. Dogs and cats are the same thing.

(I actually love Google Photos and we use it constantly, this just makes me laugh)

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Ola posted:

Haha, can you screenshot this?

Unfortunately the notification disappeared when I clicked on it--which is a shame, because it even came with a dog emoji.

But the creature in the chosen pictures is clearly a cat (there are ~20 images in the auto generated gallery). Even if one or two were ambiguous, the image recognition obviously knows that it's the same creature as the "clearly a cat" photos. It also oddly chose some that are fairly blurry.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Deathlove posted:

Crazy Taxi was my go-to.

I see a bunch of Crazy Taxi games (Classic, Tycoon, City Rush). Which do you recommend?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
This is a tiny, silly thing, but is there any way to change WhatsApp's appearance? The app works great, but it's so ugly and I'm a sucker for clean UI refreshes or at least customizable colors like Textra.

I assume the answer is no, but maybe I'm missing something obvious. I did change the chat background, but the whole green motif bugs me for some petty reason.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mak0rz posted:

Crossposting from the Android phones thread because I'm not sure which one is the more appropriate place:

So after working without issue for God knows how many years, Google Calendar suddenly stopped sending push notifications for reminders and events. I'm missing/forgetting important poo poo because of this.

It was fine until I took a trip to visit family which involved crossing five time zones and having my phone off or in airplane mode for extended periods of time. That seems like something that would cause it to poo poo the bed? Now that I think about it I upgraded to Android 9 during this trip. That's probably what did it.

My phone is a Pixel 1 and here's my OS info:

I'm still getting calendar notifications on my Pixel XL, so I don't have a good explanation for you. Have you tried creating a new test event and seeing if a fresh one successfully notifies you? Not that redoing all your events is ideal, but maybe it'd at least indicate if it just messed up your existing events.

I suppose you could also try uninstalling and reinstalling Calendar (make sure your stuff is synced on the web or whatever first).

Sorry, that's the best I've got.

Edit: fishmech's idea makes more sense than mine. That's a good place to start.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Something is badly wrong with gboard. To demonstrate I will type these two sentences again using swipes instead of taps.

I I Will Have Always LoveA. II I Will Will Always Love And You Hip Can Hop You OffHip.

I have no idea what changed, but it's basically unusable. I've been using gboard with swiping for years with minimal issues save for regular autocorrect bullshit.

Please advise.

I use gboard but never swipe. Normal typing is working as usual for me.

But I just tried swiping and holy poo poo you're right. It's completely unusable right now.

Actually, as I type this, normal typing autocorrect seems to be really bad right now, too. Still usable, but worse than usual. I think?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Eikre posted:

-A shopping list app that I can synch with another user and which automatically un-checks old items rather than making a new duplicate on the same list, so that I can keep persistent notes about those items. The behavior I'm imagining is that one of us goes to create a new item on the list and starts typing "carrots" or whatever and the old, already-checked-off "baby carrots" (the details field of which has information about which store to buy them at, or whatever) is presented as a suggestion. Previous collaborative list apps I've tried had a way to un-checks items but you had to search through your list to see if you already had it and I found it irritating.

I was going to suggest Google Shopping List (https://shoppinglist.google.com), which is a bit basic but I think ticks your boxes. It sounds like the Our Groceries app suggested above is a better version of the same, though.

I want to second how useful Google Home support is. I thought it'd be a gimmick at first, but being able to just say "Hey Google add milk to the shopping list" to your empty kitchen right as you're using the last of the milk is actually really handy.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Did Pie add some improved password manager integration or something? I vaguely remember a discussion on that a while back. I use LastPass on my computers, but I'd like to bring it over to my phone, too. Does it work pretty seamlessly? Any reason not to?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Internet Explorer posted:

I wanted to make a large playlist of music to pin to my phone because Google Music does not track what songs are pinned to your phone so when you get a new phone you get to do it all over again.

Settings > Manage Downloads (near the bottom)

That should show you all downoaded items. I don't pin individual songs (only full albums, playlists, and stations), but I assume it shows those, too. It doesn't really solve your problem of making it easy to recreate all your pinned items on a new phone, though.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

deong posted:

Pretty sure this only works on your existing phone. If you lose/break your phone and set up a new one, google play music does not keep track of what you've pinned before.

Yes, that's definitely true. Song downloads are device-specific.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

mike12345 posted:

I'm unable to upload videos to Instagram. My source is a gif I've converted to mp4. I've tried everything, from changing framerate, size, etc. to just uploading it to giphy and letting them to the conversion. But no matter what I do, the video files are just greyed out in Instagram's file selection, I can't select them. Maybe it's not enabled for my device/ Android version?

I've only uploaded videos I took with my phone's own camera, but that works fine so it's definitely not that Instagram won't do videos from Android. I've never actually seen something greyed out when trying to upload, video or otherwise.

Will it let you select a video that you just take with your phone's camera app? If so, I'm guessing it has something to do with the format from your conversion. I'm not sure what Instagram's video preferences are, though.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Lowen SoDium posted:

Has anyone used a good habit tracking app?

I am looking for something that I can set up some goals for myself and track how well I am keeping up with them. Things like go to the gym X times a week, study for X hours a day, etc.

I used HabitHub for quite a while and liked it fine.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rstudioz.habits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
Does anyone have suggestions on using an old phone as a security camera?

We have an sick pet, and we'd like some way to monitor how often and how much he eats, uses the litter box, etc during the day while we're at work. I have several old Android devices sitting in a drawer. They'll have old OS updates and crappy batteries, but working cameras and would be plugged in.

All we really need is a way to record a day's worth of footage to review in the evening. It'll be on wifi, and I assume it'd need to back up to our computers on the network or something, given the limited internal storage of these old phones.

Has anyone done something like this? Any suggestion on where to start? I'd prefer not to have a monthly fee (I don't need cloud backup of multiple days or whatever), but if that's the only option I'll consider it.

Edit: to be clear, I see a bunch of apps for this on the app store, but I didn't know if there was some aspect of it that I should be aware of. Also some of the apps look super shady.

incogneato fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 27, 2019