Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Can you just import the db to a new device no problems if you lose your current phone?
Yeah, that's exactly how it works. When you set Authenticator Plus on another device it'll ask you if you've used it before. Hitting Yes will prompt you for your master password and what service you used. Provided your master password is correct the app will automatically recover all of your 2FA sites from the backup.

It's incredibly easy to use, and it looks pretty too. It's definitely worth $2.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Hey, so whatever happened to Google Play Music gaining podcast management? I haven't heard anything about it since they announced it, the beginning of December?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Red Warrior posted:

Wait, what when did Keepass add fingerprint support? Not seeing anything.
Keepass2Android is an app on the Play Store that supports Keepass databases. That's what picked up fingerprint support, not Keepass itself: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=keepass2android.keepass2android&hl=en

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I gave Enpass a try yesterday because of the promo. I didn't get very far with it because importing stuff from LastPass was unreliable. Multiline notes in my logins were turned into a single sentence because line breaks were converted into spaces. Secure Notes were also parsed as logins when Enpass has a bunch of different types of Secure Notes already built in. It's a pretty basic mapping that would benefit from some type checking instead of just a simple mapping (there are values that can be checked for to determine whether it's a site login or a secure note).

The native Linux client is nice, as is browser extension integration. The mobile app isn't as slick as LastPass - no autofill yet but apparently it's being worked on.

I went and left them some feedback but until the import functionality improves I'll stick with LastPass. I don't want to have to verify that all 400-something items in my vault made the transfer with no data loss :gonk:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Athenry posted:

Where is the fingerprint support? Been through the settings and can't find it.
Whoops, you have to join the Beta program to get the preview with fingerprint support: http://keepass2android.codeplex.com/

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I'd been using Swiftkey on a Galaxy S3 for a number of years, and finally switched to an S7 today. I was happy with it but felt like it had really started to drag on my phone after a few years. Should I be at all concerned w/ performance on the new phone, or was it mostly an artifact of the other phone's age? This might be a dumb question but I know I'm going to be looking for lag everytime Swiftkey pops up.
Install the official SwiftKey available through the Play Store. My girlfriend's S4 started having issues with Samsung's version of it but once I installed the real SwiftKey and she started using it all of her usability issues were resolved. Plus she now gets updates - Samsung's iteration is woefully out of date.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Here's a weird one: is there an app that will let me pull down the notification drawer and activate Home, Back, and Apps from the middle of the screen? The way I hold the phone one-handed, I can't reach the top or bottom of the screen without repositioning the phone in my hand, or getting my other hand involved (:haw:).

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any chat apps that allow you to secure specific chats with a passcode/password/etc...? I thought Allo would but Incognito chats don't appear to offer that functionality.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
el oh el at goons who actually think (Google's) RCS will one day replace SMS: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/11/04/the-rcs-mirage-advanced-messaging-is-a-mess-in-the-us-and-googles-standard-is-just-one-more/

How did SMS ever become a thing? :iiam:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

fluppet posted:

What's the email client that won't let work remotely wipe your phone?
You want Nine: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ninefolders.hd3

e:fb

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any launchers that let you arbitrarily arrange homescreens both vertically and horizontally? I'm imagining being able to arrange homescreens in seemingly nonsensical arrangements like this:

pre:
[] []
   [] []
   []
   [] [] []
         []
Action Launcher definitely doesn't, that's been my launcher for several years now.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a lockscreen widget I can set up to show upcoming Google Now reminders? I'd like to keep a todo-list available at a glance so I can quickly see what all I have to do today. If no such thing exists for Google Now reminders, then I'd settle for a standalone solution even if it means going in and manually setting up todo's.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
For 2FA, convenience trumped security so I switched to Enpass. They're a lot like KeePass: everything's saved in a file, you can sync your database to any number of cloud services, and they have mobile apps and extensions for just about everything. The app also supports TOTP fields so you can store your 2FA with your username and password. 2FA codes are accessible on the desktop, too, which is ultimately what convinced me to switch over from a combination of LastPass and Authenticator+.

I know LP has their own Authenticator app but it's not real clear to me how reliable restoring those to a new device would be...

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are there any Android camera apps that do any of the whiz-bang photo modes that are abundant in the stock iOS photo app?

I've often wondered, does Apple hold a bunch of patents that prevents Google from doing cool presets like that in the stock Android camera app? Because if you compare the two it's no contest, iOS offers way more modes out of the box. I have a Pixel, surely its camera is capable of the same portrait modes, etc... at least from a hardware perspective?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Anyone else here use the Firefox app? Is it just me, or do password managers seem unable to peer into websites viewed through it? It seems the browser simply gives "Firefox" to the manager when username and password prompts are visible on a page so the manager has no idea what credentials to autofill. I'm enjoying the new app a lot but this is really annoying me.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

Works fine for me, so you have lastpass accessibility turned 6 on in your settings?
I'm using 1Password here, not even LastPass offers to autofill in Firefox. 1Password works fine in other apps, though - it seems like it's related to Firefox. I'll poke around in Accessibility, maybe I have too many things trying to autofill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Just to be clear, I knew it would autofill into Chrome. I did not know (or remember) that it would find the correct password for you based upon the url. As far as I can recall, I'd have to search for the correct username/password, make sure the carat was in the username field, then it would do its thing.
It's come a long way since those days. With 1Password you don't even switch apps anymore! After you focus on an input, 1Password detects that a username or password entry input now has focus. It then presents you with a small popover that shows you what it thinks are matching logins. When you select an option, the popover disappears and the username and password are then filled in automatically.

If auto-detect doesn't work, you typically have to switch to the password manager's own keyboard input (just like switching keyboards at the OS level), tap something to switch to the password manager, find the credentials you want to autofill, then switch back to whatever you're trying to log into and focus each input individually before tapping a button on the keyboard to autofill that value. It's basically what you described and is still decidedly less user-friendly than when the popover is available.

The one thing I miss from LastPass is the ability to spawn two notifications that will copy the username and password respectively when you tap them. This foregoes the need for the password-manager-specific keyboard and deals with the frustrating issue of that keyboard sometimes hiding when you switch between inputs (which would require manually loading the credentials back into the manager's keyboard :suicide:).

Password lockers on mobile aren't perfect, but when apps allow for autofill (dammit Firefox for Android get your poo poo together :argh:), it's generally a friction-less experience. Form fill in Android O should hopefully smooth things out in the future.