Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

uPen posted:

That sounds amazing, what is your preferred adblocker for installing on a Vizio TV?

A Chromecast and YouTube Red subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

But now maybe it's better? I haven't had a problem in a couple hours...
Google Voice has been working fine for me this whole time. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mogomra posted:

I was being a bit harsh, but to be honest, I can never remember a time when I thought Google Voice worked as well as just using my phone's number. There has always been something that didn't work well, or just didn't work at all.
The only thing that it doesn't have now that I can think of is an SMS gateway.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Mogomra posted:

Do people get regular text messages when battery saver mode is on? I don't get hangouts or Google Voice messages when battery saver is on.

It's stuff like that.
I don't use battery saver mode.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Hangouts is one of my most-used apps. I can't remember the last time I had a problem with it but I only use it for Hangouts messages and GV.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I use Hangouts for everyone, but I have Google Voice for my primary number.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I mean maybe it isn't but drat that app just looks sketchy as gently caress.

Yeah, I use Mr. Number made by Hiya which is apparently reputable?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Not sure if Spotify has group discounts, but I pay $15/month for 6 accounts on GPM/YouTube Red. Totally worth it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Khablam posted:

The permanent search box drove me off the google launcher in around 5 seconds flat, but I'm sure other people want it there.

The search box is good, much like the Nintendo Switch.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure you're aware that Oreo autofill works neither in Chrome nor in webviews
Are you loving kidding me? I've turned off accessibility and have just been using Lastpass' built-in browser in what I thought was a temporary stopgap but I guess that's just how it's going to be.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Bottom address bar is the best. Of course this means goog is going to get rid of it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

index of dickpics
-01jan
-02feb
-03mar
-04apr
-05may
-06jun
-07jul
-08aug
-09sep
-10oct
-11nov
-12dec
-01jan
-02feb
-03mar
-04apr
-05may
-06jun
-07jul
-08aug
-09sep

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

spincube posted:

'enter the third, fourth and eighth characters of your password' prompts
What? If a service knows that information they're not storing your password correctly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

I mean, this is not necessarily true, it could be encrypted as separate characters. Which is totally secure! *ticks box on audit*

More seriously, worth pointing out that banks normally use this in addition to an actual password which means it isn't inherently insecure even if you can argue that it doesn't add much.
Encrypting/hashing single characters is worse than worthless because generating the rainbow table is trivial, even if the characters are salted. Now you've given away part of the real password, making it easier to crack.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Tunga posted:

Yes it was a joke.

The part after "more seriously"? I must be off by an irony level.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Best thing for SMS mirroring is the Messages web app.
It's google voice through hangouts if you live in the correct country. Since it's convenient and works properly I'm guessing google plans to eol it. All these updates to the voice app have me worried.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Deathlove posted:

Anyone else see what I assume was an A/B test on Gboard yesterday? Back to normal now.
With the rectangular return key and the weird emoji panel? Yeah, mine changed back this morning.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

A while back I bought PitchLab Pro, but it looks like it's gone from the Play Store. Is there a way to get it on my phone with the license still intact without going to one of the sketchy APK sites? I see it's available on the Amazon store but I don't want that garbage installed.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

vyst posted:

This is what I was going to say. It's honestly not hard to tell Google Assistant what you want to play.
I've stopped using assistant to play music because it gets it wrong 90% of the time. I have 5 assistant speakers in my house and all I use them for is setting cooking timers and asking what the weather will be.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Does it work for Google Voice too?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I've been using it for my primary number for ages and am just waiting for the day they Google it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

how big is the intersection of android auto users and play music users who don't have a subscription?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Uthor posted:

Everyone who was using the service to play music they uploaded themselves? Seeing how many people are coming here asking about stand alone apps to play music stored on their device, quite a bit. I'd guess if you aren't looking to play your own music, then you are using Spotify instead.
that's not what i asked. how many of them are also using android auto? maybe a lot? it doesn't matter, though, because those users only cost them money

i pay for youtube premium/youtube music and it's incredibly cheap for being able to stream whatever i want and not have to deal with ads or hacks/workarounds, highly recommended

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ok advertisers, here's what we have on the guy:
-listens to music
-doesn't pay us for it
-uses our bandwidth

start your bidding now

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

and that's why this one isn't free, because they figured out it doesn't make them money

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

yes it's a horrible analogy because it isn't an analogy. someone had to make the decision to put that paywall in there, and they did it after the bean counters (or AI bean counters) said something

i understand how advertising enables free products, but there's a breakeven point it has to hit first. i'm going to make the extremely controversial statement that the world-leader in this field knows more than any of us, but i guess it's possible that the "uploaded their pirated mp3 collection to our servers" demographic is extremely valuable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTD0Hd6jbvk

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Uthor posted:

including stuff I purchased through Google Play Music and I had an app that would play that music and it would work with Auto and now I can neither purchase music from Google nor play the music I did purchase from them in the car.
oof, locking you out of music you bought from them is total horseshit on google's part. this support issue is still active and someone posted a janky workaround at the end
https://support.google.com/androidauto/thread/47635015

quote:

I was having the same issue when trying to use YouTube Music on AA.
Found a way around it though.
Start playing the song on the app first. Then plug it into AA.
Song continues playing and you can skip between songs as usual etc.
No issues also using Google aps etc at the same time, works fine for me.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

ctrl+f voice

quote:

As for Google Voice, the big news here is that Google is going to further disconnect Voice from Hangouts. They’ll start pushing users who use Hangouts and Voice together over to Google Voice for everything they need.
can't wait to have to use an additional app and remember who is on which one. gently caress you google

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Does anyone know offhand, or would care to experiment to find out a couple things about the Google/GPay apps for me?

1. If one uninstalls the old Google Pay app but keeps the new GPay app, do all of the loyalty cards and credit cards still remain on the phone?

I'd assume the answer to this is yes.

2. If one uninstalls both apps, do the loyalty and credit cards remain accessible from the power menu and do NFC payments work?

I've read different things on this. Some say the loyalty cards disappear (which is mainly why I don't want to experiment on this myself :) ) but I also remember reading how all of this was moved into Play Services so it might not.

I do know the new GPay app is absolutely worthless, and they're trying to get rid of the old app so that can't be necessary, but at the same time on the website only connected cards are visible, not loyalty cards. I'm wondering where exactly those are stored.
i just uninstalled both and the power menu looks to be the same with my same loyalty card i added years ago. i don't have a way to try nfc payments in my house, but i can't imagine they wouldn't work

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i use google drive for that

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

same thing here. now i need an extra app on my phone and an another browser tab open. absolute horseshit

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If your number is ported to Voice, why are you using Messages at all?
guessing he's got his carrier number linked and it's forwarding messages. you can't disable messages and you can't set GV as the default sms app. it doesn't happen for me, but i don't have any "Linked Numbers" in my GV settings

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

so you're using both numbers? my gv number is the one i give out, so i don't have any forwarding set up. my number was also ported from t-mobile but i wouldn't think that matters. here's what i'm talking about

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i just spend $15/month so me and 5 other people don't have to worry about youtube ads

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

I'd like to get a notification/reminder for Google calendar appointments 15 minutes before they happen, is there some specific setting I have to activate for that to happen?
tap the 3 lines in the top left -> Settings -> Events -> Default notifications

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Rap Game Goku posted:

I've been using the google at a glance, but still haven't found something good for radar.
radarscope?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

reactions aren't part of the sms standard. each app has to have their own way of handling them. my guess is the person you are texting has an iphone and doesn't use signal

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i bought a pair of the nest audio speakers for my bedroom and while i have voice commands disabled on my phone it's nice to be able to say "hey google, play ocean sounds and wake me up in an hour" when i want to take a nap

i have two of them paired in stereo and that's literally the only things i use them for

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

if you have to type what you want then you have too much garbage on your phone. i have 35 apps in my drawer

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

was just able to remove another one. i would have fewer because i use google voice but it won't let me remove the "phone" and "messages" apps. i am hoping that the home app will remove the need for nest soon

and i do have a tv but i don't connect it to the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

i don't know how to check the price now but it was two bucks when i bought it. if you've been using it for years then throw them a few bucks. if you really want to be cheap you can earn that through the surveys pretty quickly