Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bhodi posted:

Google play now allows payment of partial balance from credits when buying off the store!

Now get out there and give google your personal opinions!

I just checked this out and wasn't given any indication that I could do a partial balance payment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Google Music has far better radios than Spotify, if that's a thing you care about.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've been using Apex Launcher Pro for ages. Is it worth me switching to something else? I mostly just like having the option to apply different icon themes, I don't use many other functions.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Google Keyboard. SwiftKey felt slow and sluggish to me.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I tried out a whole bunch of shopping list apps but Google Keep is definitely the simplest and the best. If you create a note called 'Shopping list' on it, you can add shopping items with a voice command: "OK Google; add milk to shopping list." It's delightful.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I installed Duo but it kept crashing because it claimed to be unable to access my camera. Welp!

e: turns out my front facing camera is somehow broken??

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 24, 2016

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
So I just went through the rigmarole of calling Verizon support and after resetting my phone we determined that my front camera is busted and they're sending me a replacement. Now that I'm restoring my phone to how it was before I did a factory wipe, aware that I'll need to repeat the whole process again in a couple of days when I get the replacement phone, can anyone recommend a reliable backup and restore application? Ideally this would back up literally all of my apps and the settings therein and restore them pain-free.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
That's what I figured too, but I had to go through and redownload all my apps just now.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I really don't see the point in Allo. The Google assistant seems cool, but why would I open up Allo and type in all that nonsense when I can just use OK Google to issue those commands? All my friends are either on Facebook Messenger or use SMS anyway.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Has anyone using a Galaxy S7 Edge made the switch from the Facebook app to Metal and noticed an improvement in battery life?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
The previous page convinced me to jump from Apex to Nova and I was up and running in about 5 minutes, for anyone else considering making the switch. Very happy with it overall; the only tiny little frustration is that there doesn't appear to be an option to hide folder names in Nova; and I wish I could customise the persistent search bar a little (I'd love to keep the Google icon on the top right but remove the big date text).

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Deleting the folder name still leaves the extra padding at the bottom of the card where it should go.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, unfortunately that doesn't work. It's really not a big deal though.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Tapet was just updated to add a colour palette maker. This is a pretty significant update and is just about the one feature the app was missing, in my opinion.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Swiping on Gboard has definitely deteriorated, but not to the point where I want to switch to a different app.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Facebook Messenger's SMS integration works well, I'd recommend it. It's probably my favourite messaging app, and the one me and my friends use the most.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Has the Google app poo poo the bed for anyone else recently? My wife and I both have Samsung S7 Edge phones with the most recent version of Android our carrier will allow (7.0) and since upgrading the Google app has become unresponsive for us both. Not only is the search bar unresponsive (typing a query and hitting enter does nothing), but launching the app itself leads to a blank page with the Google logo and a perpetually spinning loading icon. People in various places recommend clearing the app's cache, but that hasn't solved the problem for either of us.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

incogneato posted:

No issues here (Pixel XL). Maybe it logged you out or something? Although I'm not sure how you'd log in again if you can't open the app. Sorry, that's the best I got.

Opening the app is fine, but this is all that happens:

I'm going to try to log out of my Google account from the phone's settings and see what that does.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I resolved the Google app issue by going into the app information page for it, navigating to storage -> manage storage, and then telling the app to delete everything. Let's see if it reoccurs.

E: nope, already broken in the same way again. Nice one Google!

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 22, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
In case anyone is curious about the Google app issues I've been posting about -- I had a look on the Play store for reviews from people of the app with the same phone as I do and it sounds like it's an issue affecting S7 Edge owners on Verizon.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I use Facebook Messenger for SMS messaging and it doesn't significantly impact my battery life. My wife uses Signal's SMS integration, however, and is very happy with it.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just sideloaded the Beta for Nova and enabled the Google Home swipe thing, but now I'm getting a persistent unread notification badge my Google app. Anyone else experiencing this?

Also, it's worth noting that the swipe to Google Now won't work if you have infinite scroll enabled.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I live in the Bay Area and Google Maps has been showing me the speed limit of the streets/freeways I'm driving on for months now.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does anyone here have much experience with getting the Play store up and running on a Kindle Fire 8? I downloaded the APKs and sideloaded them just fine, but my downloads on the Play store are permanently stuck as being pending.

E: I've done the usual thing of clearing cache a and data and rebooting.

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 15, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It looks like it's an intermittent issue affecting a small number of peoples. Given that I pretty much bought the Fire to sideload the Play store and play Infinity Engine games and HoMaM III, this is really frustrating.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

XIII posted:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603

I just got a Fire HD 8 yesterday and installed the Play Store using the apks listed here. Things were a little janky at first, but I think it was just Play Services trying to get all setup in the background.

I followed that very same guide and nothing was working last night, but seems to be working fine now. Weird!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I'm not sure why or how mine magically began working, but I'm pretty happy with it now.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I fired up the Play Store app last night and the first advertising card I saw at the top of the page was for a free $1 Play Store credit gift. It expires some time in September. Not sure where all it's available, but take a look at your apps. I haven't received a Rewards survey in months, so it was a pleasant little surprise.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Literally nobody I know uses Allo, so there's very little point in making the switch for me right now. Maybe I can convince the 3 people I speak to on Hangouts to make the jump, but that seems pointless.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I used Tapet for ages, until I realised I essentially only like 2-3 patterns and 2-3 colour palettes.

These days I have a folder of wallpapers I like, and have Muzei randomly rotate through them every day.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Delta is good too, but doesn't update nearly as frequently as I'd like.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What does everyone use to get news? On iOS I used SmartNews for a while until I got annoyed I couldn't blacklist certain sites, then Apple News since it was ok. I've tried Feedly and Flipboard but I'm not liking the whole "tap a ton of interests and then just scroll through a mess of stuff" concept. I liked Google News & Weather a bunch but it felt like it showed barely any stories.

BBC News, WaPo, and Google News apps.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
As of about a week ago Google Music has been lagging quite a bit, but what makes it even more frustrating is that it seems to think all my vertical swipes are sideways swipes, which removed a song from your playlist or library. By the time the app unfreezes the undo option has disappeared. This is on an otherwise well oiled S7 Edge and is so annoying that I'm really tempted to switch to Spotify.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'll give that a shot. I'd really rather not switch.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Gboard can act up sometimes, but I find that deleting the suggestions it gives me that I never use makes it better?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Having tried both services extensively, GPM does a much better job of creating radio stations based on a song / artist / playlist than Spotify did.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

As a Google music subscriber I'm really interested to see what the supposed hybrid YouTube music/Gmusic app is going to be like when it launches this spring.

I love the ability to upload my own tracks to Google music and have it integrate seemlessly into my library, but my fiance just got Spotify and god drat does it feel miles ahead of Google Music in terms of features and quality of life.

I feel you. The main thing I envy is that most curated playlists by artists or record labels (or any kind of promotional playlist) only get published on Spotify, since it's the de facto leader in the market.

If it wasn't for being able to upload my own tracks and the YT Red subscription bundle, I think I'd have jumped ship by now.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I never even got the bottom address bar. :(

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks! This feels weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Yeah the only reason I still use GPM is because of Youtube Red; and the fact that I don't want to bother with moving playlists from one service to another. I'm not even sure if the music I've uploaded to GPM exists in Spotify.