Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Just started playing with AwSMS. I've been a huge Messenger (Google's SMS) fan because it color codes my contacts which makes following group MMS much easier. This not only does that but has a ton of options for customizing text formatting and size.

Still missing a bunch of features as it is in Beta, but you can make it visually dense, its seems to be very fast, and it uses the system SMS database, so backup and sync systems just work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

My 20 seconds on the play store got me to this, though it sounds like you should just be using your cruise control.

Sounds like he is trying to pace himself on his bike. They make dedicated devices for that FYI.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Teeter posted:

Between the nightmares of online accounts, things like digital medical records and voting registration, or opening each other's mail, sharing a name just doesn't seem as cool as it must have been in the 1950's.

I'm an "IV", and have a son. Grandpa is gone so we've got a a III, IV, and V all in the same area. Oh, and we don't do middle names, so that is the only differentiator.

Nine times out of ten it isn't a big deal, especially since only one of us is really connected. That other time, loving pain in the rear end. Health insurance took 2 months to get the suffixes correct because their form didn't have "V"s in it.

Bonus, hangouts doesn't understand suffixes, so any conversation with a suffix shows as two contact icons. I've reported it several times and finally fixed it by moving to Messenger for SMS.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tots posted:

Ad blockers do that too.

Bunch of Gator Fans in this thread.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Anyone else just get emails about cards in Android Pay being removed? Nothing looks changed when I open the app, but I got emails from both BofA and Amex about my cards being removed.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Red Warrior posted:

I got one but it said it was removed from my Motorola phone, which was my previous phone. So maybe they just cleared them out of phones that haven't been used in a while?

Luckily it uses my phone number as the reference so, no help there.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

c0burn posted:

What's the best password manager that supports both android (chrome) and windows (firefox) and is free or if paid, really worth the :10bux:? There's so many and I want some goon input.

I use safeincloud. Free desktop app and a couple bucks for the mobile. I don't use any plugins though.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
This probably only appeals to a small subset of those of you here in the US, but the best nerd-level radar tool just got a big update. RadarScope 3.0 introduces a much better material design layout and split panels for Pro users.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.basevelocity.radarscope

New layout makes it Google-Maps style to toggle layers on and off and the split panels makes it easier to look at velocity+reflectivity.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

AnimalChin posted:

:10bux: for a radar app? :homebrew:

1Weather is excellent and has a good radar.

Radarscope is a different type of radar app. It loads the raw data from the radars and associated products and renders those directly. If you don't understand why you'd want to look at velocity data across different tilts then you're not getting the most out of it.

That being said, I think it is totally worth the ten survey bucks I spent on it and the ten bucks a year I spend on pro. Tornado warning? Not getting out of bed, radar shows the most likely place on the other side of the highway moving away.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm impressed by the Google Assistant implementation and integration. And with my one buddy I was able to test it and it did seem super convenient to have those results directly integrated into the chat.

And I was able to do the direct-message to Play Services thing with him where on his end it showed up as an Allo Message prompt with a button to install the service or to simply reply.

I too am disappointed with the SMS relay, only because I have Fi, so I would figure at least for this tiny group we'd have proper SMS integration.

So far I like it, not switch all my friends over from WhatsApp after winning that argument, but enough to switch some of my friends from Hangouts over.

The Reddit hivemind is insane. They have ultra-nerd use cases and get all twisted when something doesn't support it.

Also, 90% of the complaints with both SMS, Allo, and other poo poo would be solved if they just rolled out a native Chrome-Android notification sync service so you could reply or carry on a conversation from the desktop.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

deong posted:

Is there 1 feature of Allo that Hangouts didn't already do? It seems like its hangouts minus stuff, instead of just solidifying hangouts.

The answer to all questions is: Google Assistant.

Why did they build a new messaging platform? Google Assistant integration.

Why doesn't it do end to end encryption? Google Assistant.

Why do they think people will use this over WhatsApp et. al? Google Assistant!

Why can't I desktop in version 1.0? Google Assistant needs GPS!

Why don't you have these other features? Because the version we demo'd at I/O was just a mock up and didn't actually exist, we've been working this whole time to get here damnit. Its a shell for Google Assistant that we'll eventually make in to a real competitor. Maybe. Or something else.

And yeah, many of these complaints are just because we're all nerds. I mean, we're talking about phones on an internet messaging platform.

WhatsApp built a huge community without encryption, without desktop, hell, without web for a long time. Mobile only, no sync. Facebook messenger built its own user base without SMS and just phone sign up as well. Oh, and Snapchat. Oh, and Instagram too.

I suspect that was the argument for going mobile-first to build a decent tick-the-box chat platform around the Google Assistant integration then develop from there those other things.

That being said: What the gently caress is with the SMS integration? I mean, just leave it out if you're not going to even attempt to integrate with anything. I have Fi, just directly connect out to my SMS gateway instead of making another one! gently caress. Also, image compression is set to kill rather than just stun. I'd love a platform with the option to set it to NONE, but still, this is pretty aggressive. And the clean UI gets hosed sending screenshots of the app and other such edge cases.

Still, the direct message popup without install on other Android devices, when it works, is slick as poo poo. And the Google Assistant actually seems like it'd be pretty useful. That and reply suggestions.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

They would recieve a text from a number they wouldn't recognize as google relays your text through their own texting network.

also if you send another text a day later there's a decent chance it will come from a completely different number that time.

Unless they have the latest Play Services on Android, in which case they get an app-looking popup with your message allowing them to reply or install the app. It is pretty slick looking.

The only way you can know which is which is if you receive the "Chatting with this person over SMS" prompt or not in the chat.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Scudworth posted:

That doesn't matter when texting is the thing everyone already uses all the time no matter what, and sending a message with any data-based app or service is going to result in them asking why you're not just texting them. Like CLAM DOWN already said none of us have a need to abandon SMS.

Well, SMS is pretty lovely for groups, photos, delivery, and ordering. I bit the bullet and spent the political capital to get my friends into WhatsApp earlier this year away from our long running set of group MMS.

All told of the roughly 16 thousand messages over 8 months I've used 75 megs of data. Not including pictures or video. No idea how much of that was on WiFi vs mobile.

I felt slightly lovely when they announced Allo thinking I might have to try to do it again for the new hotness, but at this point I don't see why for all these reasons discussed. My friends seem happy with WhatsApp, not as happy as they'd be if we all switched to Apple phones and laptops, but happy enough.

And we don't have weird "I sent you a message 2 hours ago" or wildly out of order group chats, or any of the other stupid issues we had on SMS.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Cross-posting from the Windows thread. I'm looking for a decent note taking app. I used to use Evernote and had no issues with it until they wanted to charge a monthly fee. I moved to Onenote on recommendation from people here but find that both the Android and Windows app kind of suck, they are extremely limited in features at least.

What features are you looking for that OneNote doesn't have?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

If one uploads photos to Google Photos using the free high quality size (versus the original size), are they high enough quality for printing, say, 4x6 or 5x7 prints?

This would be uploading new photos from an S7 and converting already uploaded at original size photos from an S6 and S5.

(my sister has run out of space on her Google Drive and doesn't want to pay for more, is worried about printing quality)

SPERG: If she thinks the quality of the photos taken from a phone are good enough for 4x6 and 5x7 prints as is, then the google compression isn't going to be noticeable to her.

Honestly, the 16MP free image upload "compression" is very well regarded and seen as a "you're not going to notice it no matter how much you try" kind of thing.

If she is really concerned, tell her to find the $2 a month in the couch cushions to move up to 100 gigs.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

48 Hour Boner posted:

I have an extremely specialized and nerdy request: is there an app that can read the sensors and make a notification appear when over a certain threshold, like if the magnitude of acceleration is over a limit? I know there are apps that can read a phone or tablet's sensors, but I'm looking for one that can specifically post a notification message or send an alert or something. If Tasker can do this I'll just go get that!

Before you go down this rabbit hole. I don't think there are APIs to trigger on these kinds of conditions. If there are no APIs then the only way to monitor is to constantly poll the sensors, which requires an actively running app. This would kill your battery.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Deeters posted:

What's a good weather radar app? I have weather timeline, but don't really care for its radar that doesn't seem to differentiate between rain and snow.

Well, if you want actual weather radar, you want RadarScope, that'll actually feed you the real radar vector data and render it out.

If you just want to look at radar overlays, I like Storm.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Ornithology posted:

Any recommendations for an SMS/messaging app? I'm getting quite annoyed due to the fact that half my friends use WhatsApp, a quarter of them use Hangouts, and a quarter use SMS. Now that Hangouts doesn't do SMS anymore, I'm stuck having to toggle between 3 different apps all for the same purpose of general text messaging. Are there any apps that can consolidate these systems? Regardless, any recommended SMS app to replace Hangouts would be useful.

Devil's advocate here, but why not just switch everyone to WhatsApp?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

syscall girl posted:

Someone has to win this fight and it's sure as poo poo not goog

so why not

I'm a good Google fanboy, but WhatsApp has the people and an active development cycle. Allo is ...ok. Hangouts is effectively abandoned. So, why not an E2E encrypted messenger with a huge footprint and new features added regularly. With desktop and web support.

I mean, it works.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Holy hell the 8.0 background notification is a hot mess.

It over-alerts thereby making it useless (90% of people will just ignore it).
It counts as an audible/vibration alert so it ducks your audio for no loving reason.
There is no way to disable it on a per app basis.

I'm still pissed that stock Android can't figure out how to just play music without skipping, but add in the occasional background-app alert audio ducking it is loving terrible.

What the hell, didn't they read any of the beta feedback?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I wish Google had a live wallpaper that mimicked sunrise/sunset, so the sun would come up in the wallpaper when it does in your location, and gradually get higher, then lower, then sunset, and then maybe a moon? They sort of have this wallpaper already except it uses your battery % instead of the weather.

There is a live earth with clouds in the Google wallpaper app. Last week they even had a hurricane on it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vykk.Draygo posted:

So what's the current hotness in weather radar apps? The NOAA Hi-Def Radar app used to be really good but it got a bizarre update a couple weeks ago that turned it into dog poo poo. I just want something clean and simple that I can pop open to see if there's rain headed toward me.

RadarScope. Get Pro, then truely join the wether nerd culture.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I'm nerdy but not 10 loving dollars for a weather app nerdy. Good Lord.

High quality, high resolution access to real time nexrad data and products, plus worthwhile composite products and killer support.

I've literally been awakened by a storm and tornado alert on my phone, pulled up RadarScope, and been able to confidently say that if there is a tornado it is over there and going away from us, and gone back to sleep.

But it doesn't have cool animations or cute weather icons so you can know the "percent chance of rain" so maybe it isn't what you're looking for.

Now I want the people from Pivotal Weather to make a mobile version of their interface so I can do moniker forecasting.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Shannow posted:

Now it is possible i'm a gigantic idiot so I may have missed something obvious but -

Trying to get my photos that are uploaded from my pixel 2 to google photos to sync to my desktop also, but the google drive app doesn't seem to allow me to see that folder in the sync options.
Basically i'm trying to set it up the way dropbox is?

There is a setting in drive to show the photo folder in drive, then there is one in the client to sync that folder down.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Tamba posted:

It does.

It does. Ignore these spergs. Install Signal for extra security or WhatsApp for more users and features. They're both fine.

Keep using whatever for normal text messaging.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

"ignore these spergs. Also install Signal for greater security!" :rolleyes:

Well, security is the only meaningful differentiator between those two items that is in Signals favor. It was already mentioned, so it gets included. Plus with the whole Facebook nonsense going on some people are pretending to give a poo poo.

Use WhatsApp. A billion people do. It's fine. It does group chats well. You can send photos and gifs. They look fine when they come through. It's plenty secure. It's owned by Facebook but who cares and they can't read your messages.

Hangouts is becoming an Enterprise product and is being abandoned for regular users. Allo has no traction. Telegram has nerd cred but few users. Line isn't popular in the west. WeChat is group chat involving the Chinese secret police. Signal has no users and is short on features. SnapChat is only useful to talk to people under 30. Facebook messenger flat out admitted they scan your messages for advertising. Instagram and Twitter have chat but are social first, chat second.

But yeah, let's keep talking about RCS. That'll help.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

G-Spot Run posted:

Incidentally g-suite apps does support renaming accounts so Google has the technology they just don't give enough of a gently caress making it available to @Gmail users

Renaming accounts has implications about name stealing/squatting, impersonation, etc. It makes sense it is different between public and private settings.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Looks like the much-hyped Fortnite on Android release is going to be distributed directly from EPIC and bypass the Play Store.

This is fine and will not cause issues.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

Wait, so you have to side-load it? Or or download another app to download it (like the Amazon app store or whatever)?

Or is just in-game purchasing not via Play?

You will have to sideload it, and also enable non-playstore installs during that process on some phones.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Does anyone use Google's News app? I've liked getting a notification in the morning with the day's highlights, but since either the update to Pie or when I reset my phone it's stopped giving the notification. I checked the app's settings and the daily briefing is on.

Pie will prompt you after you dismiss a notification enough times to hide it. Maybe check to see if the notification permissions are enabled.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
What is the current favorite file browser that hasn't added lockscreen ads and malware yet?

Samba shares (Windows 10) & video streaming is the objective.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

torturemyballs posted:

Anyone know of an app that actually works to boost Bluetooth audio volume? I'm specifically using stock Android Pie with Bose wireless headphones and Spotify. I tried some older trick in dev options as well but it didn't work.

Can you boost it in the EQ in either the app, Android, or the Bose app?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh no, don't worry about that. And come to think of it, I do remember people doing what you mentioned for..might have been Nexus 4 updates or something.

I guess I'm staring down the barrel of a wipe either way - I'll clear Play Services and see if it does anything overnight, and if it's still not fixed, then, well. Guess I'll have to run through and take care of all those non-account linked token apps and such..

Thanks, though!

You might be able to log out of your Google account and back in to reset it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
It's New year's, so that means resolutions. Does anyone recommend a chess app? I'd like to improve my basic game.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

tonberrytoby posted:

When I have a good connection: Lichess (FLOS)
When I am offline : The Magnus Trainer app (Freemium). I also used to use the official Stockfish app (FLOS), but setting difficulty levels is notoriously unreliably with the fish.

Thanks a ton. Lichess is 95% of what I was looking for. Guides, lessons, puzzles, stats, and free. The Magnus trainer also looks very good, but the freebie lessons are stupid basic from what I can see, so to get value you have to subscribe to their service. I'll probably end up doing that, I simply wanted to provide the details for the thread.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Bit of a crosspost from the generic android thread:

So I'm trying to do something that I thought would be fairly easy to do for free but so far I'm coming up short on a proper solution.

I've got a google Pixel with stock Android. I've got a desktop PC running Windows 10. I want to stream music (mp3s) from the desktop PC to the Pixel with the ability to use "next/previous/pause/play" buttons on the phone. Between file explorers that can't play more than 1 selected song at a time and media players (VLC) that balk as soon as I give them an m3u playlist file, I've had no luck to get this sort of functionality working. Thoughts?

Plex might be a fit here. I haven't used the music side of it, but for other media it works well. Both a server and client though, not direct file share.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Yeah unfortunately Plex doesn't have support for m3u files so I'd have to recreate my playlists from scratch within the Plex app. Almost, but not quite what I need.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/aacg7o/i_made_an_automated_way_to_sync_m3u_playlists_to/

?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Isn't free.

I wasn't 100% on board with using some random person's script when I found this posted elsewhere but I guess if it's on Reddit with 15 upvotes... and the user has been around a while, it shouldn't be malicious. I'll give this a shot.
Edit: Ha, just looking at the scripts myself I can see what it does so yeah, I guess I'll use this thing.

Yeah, I actually checked out the scripts before I posted that and when I saw how simple they were I figured it'd be safe.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

hooah posted:

Since we're talking about weather apps now, what's everyone's favorite radar app/section of an app? I've been using Storm Radar for a while and it's... fine, I guess.

Do you want real radar? RadarScope is the raw data feed that the chasers use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure Android permissions require only one app can write to a directory, so you have to have photos in different locations on your storage like that. Google photos will display them all as one big bucket though.

And drop a .nomedia (I think) file in the root directory of your music to hide the album art from the photos app. Or slide the slider in Google photos.