Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Whizbang posted:

ES File Explorer has also been sending all your data to China for years so if you're still using that's on you.

I thought they found out it didn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Teeter posted:

I use Nine for email. My dad and I share the same name, and it has his photo synced as my account picture. I try to keep him listed as "dad" in my contacts to avoid this but it must have pulled it from Facebook at some point because I use other apps to sync contact photos from there. I have gone in to the Contacts menu for Nine and changed the photo of the 'me' contact listed up top but it still shows his photo all over the app, and it's his thumbnail that shows up when I email things to myself.

Any idea how I can track this down and fix it?

Have you seen the movie face off

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Best way of transferring files from my PC to my phone/tablet? WiFi only please.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Athenry posted:

Is there any way to replicate the swipe left for Google Now in Nova Launcher?

I'd love to know this. I prefer Nova, and didn't mind swiping up from the home button, but now Marshmallow adds that stupid Now On Tap which makes it one more button press to go to Google Now.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have a LG G4. I want to make it so when I'm on work WiFi or home WiFi my data is disabled.

I'm not rooted nor do I want to do that. What's the best way of doing it? I tried llama but it states I need root to toggle data.. Hoping that's not the case.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

hooah posted:

You shouldn't need to disable your data; the phone should use the WiFi for data rather than your cellular service. If it's not doing that, then something's wrong with your phone (blame LG probably).

Thanks for the reply but the question still stands

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

But you already answered your own question. You're not rooted and you don't want to be, but without root, you can not automate the data toggle or airplane mode. Maybe if you explained why you are trying to do this, someone could figure out a workaround.

I've had my phone use data when I'm on WiFi. Turns out I may have lost connection at work and I was streaming music most of the day. I'd rather just have data off when at home and at work so that doesn't happen again.

Tasker won't let me do it either so I guess I can't .

Maybe something that alerts my watch or something when I go back to data. That would be helpful too.

Also I sometimes forget to turn data off and on through the notification panel so I'd rather automate it

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Thanks for the help guys. I guess it's me just remembering to turn it off. Kind of frustrating that I can't task it to turn off data.

Maybe I should look into rooting it? Wonder how hard it is for a G4.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Uthor posted:

Do you stream music away from home or work? If not, maybe your music app has a a setting to only stream over wifi. Google Play Music does.

Yeah it's Spotify. I'll check. And I saw that I can root but honestly I'm really not into that poo poo anymore.

Again thanks for all your support guys.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

wolfbiker posted:

Spotify has an offline mode.

Absolutely. What's annoying is if I want to download a new playlist I have to go online, download, then go back offline. Can't the "offline" just be for music streaming

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Have you tried the ITTT app? http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ifttt.ifttt&hl=en

There are premade recipes for it or you can make your own. Like Tasker.

Can I turn off data when in a certain location?

Edit : it will send you a notification to remind you. Kinda close.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Uthor posted:

Might as well just create a repeating reminder (assuming you work regular hours) at that point. No reason to install extra apps to do it. poo poo, do it in your work calendar and avoid adding stuff to your personal device.

Nah. Work hours are random.

Appreciate the advice. Put Spotify on offline mode and will leave it at that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Quick, someone ask about a podcast app

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
What font is your system using

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

peepsalot posted:

I'm running remixOS right now, which is an Android distro that is mean to act like a desktop. I was just hoping for some way use the phone as a general purpose input, for web browsing, youtube, etc.

Thanks for the heads up on Remix OS. Its quite interesting.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
The messenger app murders my LG G4s battery and I don't know why. Its weird.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Any way to mass delete texts every once in a while without doing it manually? I just don't care about keeping them around.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Microsoft has a tool that automatically exports Evernote to OneNote

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Flipp is a great shopping app. You put in your grocery items and it gives you the stores that have the best price plus coupons. Then go to a place that price matches and you're golden. The app makes it so you don't even hold up the line when checking out.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 15, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Blitter posted:

SNES9x EX+ by Robert Broglia is pretty good. I mean, its a gpl'd emulator, with his front end, and a few tweaks, and it runs accurately and very well on pretty old hardware (nexus 7).

Was stoked to find that the sixaxis app got updated to work on 6.0 and i can play (wirelessly) with a ps3 controller again, woo!

What sixasis app?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
BigOven does all that and is free.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I really like Duo, as my wife has an iPhone and I don't. It's easy, doesn't require a Google account, and the quality is awesome.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Taffer posted:

Nobody is complaining about the quality. It's everything else that's a joke.

To me, it's not a joke but an easy solution that gets the job done.

I don't want to bother someone as it is with an app to download, but this is as simple as registering your number and away you go.

For those reasons, I really like the app.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Montalvo posted:

So I just went through the rigmarole of calling Verizon support and after resetting my phone we determined that my front camera is busted and they're sending me a replacement. Now that I'm restoring my phone to how it was before I did a factory wipe, aware that I'll need to repeat the whole process again in a couple of days when I get the replacement phone, can anyone recommend a reliable backup and restore application? Ideally this would back up literally all of my apps and the settings therein and restore them pain-free.

Android in general backs up your phone, not sure about content within though. My stuff seems to be all cloud based so who knows.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Montalvo posted:

That's what I figured too, but I had to go through and redownload all my apps just now.

Weird. Mine, when I factory restored it, gave me a list of what apps I wanted to install

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Mine are fine

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Teeter posted:

My office is under a parking garage and I get literally zero cell service. I use a hangouts # because it is the only way for me to get calls/text while I am at work. Initial testing with Allo seems to suggest that I can send SMS from my carrier # while at work now, though I can only receive them if it is my initial message that is replied to. Doesn't seem like it will pass anything else through

I'm so confused by all of this. All I want is an app that I can use to talk to my friends with using either my google or carrier #. Hangouts took a huge step back when they separated conversation threads.

Where the gently caress do you work

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Your first problem is a ROM calling itself Dirty Unicorn.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Horn posted:

I go with Chrome and NetGuard.

How easy is Net guard?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
My galaxy s4 had an easy mode on it or something.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
ok Google apparently doesn't work at the moment which I noticed. Other than that I love it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tjones posted:

Why? Because people are idiots? If anything it will most likely educate more people and anyone who acts offended can be laughed at and called names.

Thought it was a swastika and inappropriate. I'm sure a lot of others would too.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

jokes posted:

Yeah, you can get Netguard and put a hosts file in it then just use Chrome like normal. It's how I get my chrome to be ad-free!

Explain!!!

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Roseo posted:

Aware of that. I mean, I'm not finding any that I like in the stock phone. I need to add some more. They're too high pitched over all and I don't hear them well due to my hearing loss at higher frequencies. I miss them too easily. So I need to add some and I haven't had to do that on previous phones because I've found suitable ones. So I'm looking for an app that lets me preview them and add them to the phone to use.

I use Zedge for ringtones / notifications. Easy to use. Has like, everything.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have iTunes running on a PC.
I want to be able to play Beats 1 Radio on my PC without actually having to go downstairs and use my PC. Any way I can use my Android tablet to start this task?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
She's most likely sending it to the iPhone Apple ID, and not her phone number.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My guess is she's not actually sending it to your phone number and instead is sending it to your email address.

SMS clients usually let you put either a phone number or email address in.

Let me guess, your email address matches what the contact name would be?

For example, I can create a new message and start typing a friend's email address and it will auto complete to the contact name. But WHAT it's being sent to is the email address. I do the same thing and use the contact's name, it auto populates with a mobile number.

Remember, most carriers have SMS to email gateways in place. If someone sends an SMS to your email address, it will likely come through as an email.

This is what I meant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

One of the big things Motorola really did right was building QR code reading right into the camera app.

Ios or android, not sure why this isn't standard.