Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Welp. http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/1...-of-it-it-away/

Looks like ES File Explorer has decided to go the way of "Here's some bloat, pay us to make it go away".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I'm trying to decide if Solid is good or FX is better...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/12/16/rumor-hangouts-may-lose-sms-and-mms-capability-in-a-future-update/

Looks like if you use your carrier number with Hangouts SMS/MMS, you may lose the functionality in a later version of Hangouts on Android and probably iOS too.

If you use Hangouts with Google Voice or Project Fi, you'll be fine.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/01/12/deal-alert-get-enpass-password-managers-9-99-pro-license-for-free-today/

If you, for some reason, don't like (or trust) LastPass, you can get Enpass Pro for free on Android today.

Apparently it's just like LastPass, except it saves in the cloud (or your desktop) and currently doesn't have autofill. The devs said something about adding autofill in Q1 2016 though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Negrostrike posted:

I don't know how many of you use Telegram for whatever reason but I got bored and made a sticker pack based on the forums' emoticons.
Enjoy, whoever is interested. If someone wants any additional emoticon just post.

https://telegram.me/addstickers/GoonStickerPack

This is awesome but also REALLY tiny...

Can't tell if you have it or not, but :v: would be nice!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Duo is finally rolling out.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.tachyon&hl=en

AP also put it on their APK Mirror site:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/duo-by-google/duo-by-google-1-0-130018012-rc1_rc29-release/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

oh good, more lovely half baked apps

What the hell. How does tying it to a phone number instead of a google account (which since these are android apps, you should probably already have) make it more usable? Not being able to use it on my tablet seems decidedly less usable.

Well yes...and also no.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/21/although-google-allo-tied-phone-number-also-connected-google-account/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

teagone posted:

Allo doesn't do true SMS. It does SMS relay. Booo Google. BOOOO.

From reddit:

Reddit is absolutely melting down over this and it's hilarious. Some are claiming they'll go buy an iPhone 7 Plus, some claim they'll just stay on Hangouts, some say they'll use Textra or Messenger. Most just say Google fucks up everything.

This is all due to some leaker claiming that it WILL have true SMS.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 21, 2016

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Aaronicon posted:

I know, right? Who could ever believe Google doing something stupid with one of their messaging apps.

Obviously they will, it's Google. But people are mad because the leaker wasn't right and everyone's forgetting that SMS was never officially promised anyway, not even the SMS relay we got.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I've looked into this in the past and the answer I came away with was "no". I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had better luck than I have.

The LG Stylo 2 has an easy mode that has large icons, large text, and modified launcher that is nothing but icons with no widgets.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know of a good fingerprint scanner gesture app for the Pixel 2?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Cross posting from Fi thread:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2018/0...s-apk-teardown/

Android Messages will soon get a web enterface and "enhanced chat features".

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I think everyone is jumping to conclusions with the APK teardown. I really doubt that Google FINALLY has figured out messaging after all this time.

Watch this be tied to Fi.

I mean I agree but I'm also on Fi so I'm still excited. :v:

EDIT: Actually, now that I think about it, Google DID say they would be doing something to make it up to Fi with what they did to Google Voice and how Hangouts is mostly business related now.

https://9to5google.com/2017/01/30/project-fi-integration-might-be-coming-to-voice-google-is-working-on-a-solution/

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 10, 2018

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/05/16/youtube-red-now-youtube-premium-youtube-music-partially-replacing-google-play-music/

If you currently have YouTube Red, you get YouTube Premium for free.

If you currently have GPM, you get YouTube Music Premium for free.

If you want everything that YouTube Red has but you have GPM which currently includes Red for free, you need to pay $2 more and drop the grandfathered $8 price, if you still have that.

Music Premium only removes ads on music videos and does not include background play anymore. YouTube Premium includes YouTube Music Premium plus background play and no ads on the entire YouTube site.

However, it looks like Google is trying out picture-in-picture on phones that support it even if you have no subscription.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Wacky Delly posted:

Yeah, I hope they come out and say what happens to Google play music subscribers. The grandfathered price is why I've never looked anything else.

I just called Google Play who transferred me over to YouTube Red / GPM support. He confirmed to me that you will only receive YouTube MUSIC Premium and not YouTube Premium if you keep your GPM account. You WILL have to move over to YouTube Red (thus paying $2 more and losing grandfather status on GPM) but when Red turns into Premium, you will have YouTube Premium for $10 instead of $12.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Now Google Play Music is claiming that everyone who has GPM will get YouTube Premium for free and NOT just YouTube Music Premium.

https://twitter.com/GooglePlayMusic/status/997127746152206337

This directly contradicts their posts on the blog and now a lot of people who had grandfathered in possibly lost the cheaper price for nothing.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

why is the thread title not just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree with this post.

Right now, it seems only the Drive team has their poo poo together with how their plans will be better in a few months but YouTube's team is... doing this...

Also, as I learned from the phone call, YouTube and GPM are both run by YouTube. Google Play support has nothing to do with the subscription to Play Music.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone got YouTube Music thing yet? It did come out on the 22nd of May and all but it's a super slow roll-out. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The new Podcast app has podcasts that I can't get on GPM. Hell, I think there are podcasts that used to be only on iTunes on here.

If they add in proper sorting and stuff, I'm using this forever.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

An app called YouTube Music is now available for me and I can also now subscribe to this thing called YouTube Premium. What is this stuff compared to google play music? Is this the same as that YouTube Red thing we never got? I am so goddamn confused holy poo poo Google.

YouTube Music is the same old YouTube Music that used to be around with GPM...now it's the new YouTube Music and includes YouTube Music Premium.
YTMP will get you ad-less music videos, pretty much. This is supposed to replace GPM later on next year, I guess? If you get YouTube Premium, you get YTMP along with playing music with the screen off and ad-free videos all across YouTube.

All of this includes Google Play Music (if you have access to that) because GPM won't be replaced until god knows when so all playlists and uploaded music will stay in GPM.

This is the worst explanation but also probably better than anything Google can say. Even the fanblogiest of fanblogs have no clue.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm still confused because we never had YouTube Music here until like a week ago, so what was the old app? And where does YouTube Red fit into this? And what's the point of YouTube Music if Google Play music exists?

Thank you for trying though haha

No problem! The "new" YTM is literally the exact same thing as the old one it's just a new coat of paint and some promises thrown in that it'll take over GPM.

Just like how Hangouts was supposed to take over for Google Voice and would change things. But then Hangouts stayed, changed to "business only" (except not really) and Voice is just sort of...here. But then Allo showed up and that was supposed to take over until they gave Messaging a new paint and some stickers and promises of RCS and that it would take over for Allo.

...Basically, YTM has no point right now and this is history repeating itself.

Red is just YouTube Premium though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

We've got it here in the UK too now, the app is pretty bad. GPM on the web is offering me videos in suggestions too so there is already some integration happening

I use it a lot less those days, but any word on if the new YouTube version will include the music collection uploading of gpm?

No idea but web GPM has had YouTube video stuff in it for a while like if a song had a video associated with it or if the song was available on YouTube. They'll probably take that away...some day.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

It may have done elsewhere but I've not seen it in the UK before , bear in mind we have never had any kind of YouTube red, YouTube music etc

It might be a way to make YouTube Music available for all. Glad you got it though! It's useful when it shows up.

LastInLine posted:

I will say they're going to have to figure out how to pry my YouTube favorites away from my YTM favorites because there's no reason I'd ever want one to be associated with the other.

Apparently, this is happening.

https://www.reddit.com/r/YoutubeMusic/comments/8si0on/youtube_music_history_and_playlists_were_just/

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The only thing I like about YouTube Music is there are things that aren't available on GPM that are on YTM (or, if they are, you need to pay for them through Google Play first).

I've seen quite a few artists who have their music free on GPM for a while, but suddenly it's just gone and you have to pay for the entire album to get it back.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

I wish they'd notify you of this stuff...just give me a heads up that things are expiring instead of vanishing them out of playlists and hoping I'll notice 3 songs out of 400 are missing and buy them. The caveat of streaming I suppose..just don't hide it from me.

Just had the web messaging flip switch on for me finally. 2 days before my trial of Join was up too, sucks for them. It's not Gvoice integration or iMessage or anything, which is what I'm hoping for someday..but it's a start I guess?

Yeah, that's one of the worst things about streaming, honestly. It feels greedy to do that too. They've got to be getting something from the GPM/Premium subscription but I guess never enough.

I got Messages too. It could be better but I'm giving it a chance.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

YouTube Music is kind of a garbage fire filled with music GPM doesn't have...but I REALLY want something that works on desktop that can use Google Podcasts.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I really wanted to like Messages over Hangouts on Fi but, for me, Hangouts is better.

I tried Messages and Messages on the web for a full week and it was really slow to sync between my computer and the phone, every MMS I tried to send didn't send, and towards the end of my experiment, SMS itself just constantly failed on the browser while it went through fine on the phone.

With Hangouts, MMS and SMS has never failed but with Messages, I was left in a situation where I tried to continue the conversation on my PC but it simply just didn't go through and when it finally resynced, things were confusing and off.

I don't know if it's due to the Nexus 6's aging storage and battery but I'm not exactly impressed.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'd be left with scrambling to back up my SMS messages if I got a new device...

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thinking of getting either a Chromebook Pro or Chromebook Plus to replace the Nexus 7 2013. This is more of an Android app question though....do Android apps run better on the Plus due to the ARM processor or the Pro because it's better in terms of hardware and speed?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I bought a Chromebook Tab 10 so if you can wait until Friday I'll tell you whether it's better or worse that the Pixelbook I had and returned when it comes to Android apps.

Couldn't wait, actually! Picked up the Chromebook Pro on Best Buy since it was $470 for it.

I can answer the question that it works pretty well actually! So far, I've installed Telegram X and Autodesk Sketchbook (and I think it auto installed Google Play Music too?) and they both work decently.

How's your experience been?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Make sure you really test out switching between tablet and laptop mode a lot while you are in the return window. Samsung is still shipping this things with glitchy screen connections.

As far as input issues with the new Chromebook tablet, there is going to be a whole line of USB C keyboards coming out for the education market to use with those tabs.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/06/26/belkin-introduces-two-wired-usb-c-keyboards-chrome-os-tablets/

Yeah, I've seen some reports of people losing touch after a few days. I'm testing the hell out of it during the 14-day window. Do you know what may cause it? From what I've noticed, it's not all devices but not uncommon either.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Mine was fine for a few months, then it started doing it, then it stopped. Apparently Samsung has to replace the screens, but then sometimes it recurs again. I decided to go Pixelbook instead.

How's the stylus on the Pixelbook compared to the Chromebook Pro? I got it to replace the N7 2013 and also for art as a (relatively) cheap Wacom Cintiq...seeing as it has a Wacom digitizer anyway.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Oh joy.

YouTube Music has reordered all of my custom-made playlists multiple times in the past week.

Even without the site or app being open.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/12/google-may-push-people-gmail-bad-substitute-inbox/

This article explains that, while it's improving, Gmail isn't nearly as easy to use as Inbox and breaks down some of the things Inbox can do that Gmail either can't or just fails to do in the same way.

Like pinning (Starring isn't anywhere near as useful), and bundling (doesn't exist). I think this is because Google must've split the Inbox team away from Gmail and they both do their own thing and NEVER talk to each other.

Like seemingly everything in Google.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Look at all you fancy people and your clocks.

I'm 31 and I've somehow woken up at 9am every single morning. No matter what time I fell asleep.

It kind of sucks sometimes.

I like the cat idea though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

XIII posted:

Hi, yes, Google Translate helped me navigate a Tinder date while in a different country and it ended very well so I'm forever a fan of it. Thank you, this is my story.

That's a long way to travel for just one date.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Telegram is pretty popular, actually. In fact, if WhatsApp is banned in a country, Telegram's usage spikes hard because people go from WhatsApp to Telegram. I think that happened with Russia and Turkey last year. It slowed the servers down to a crawl with most of the banned country signing up at once.

Also, the Pixel 3 XL was leaked entirely on Telegram, ISIS has used it to recruit in the past, and it also only needs a phone number to sign up.

The real problem for Telegram isn't "but it's unknown" it's "but they ask for my phone number!!!!!" and it automatically pulls from your contacts and then, ANYONE with your number will know you have Telegram as it notifies them as soon as you sign on. Anyone. From what I remember from the sign-up, it doesn't let you use the app unless you give it access to Contacts.

This has turned off everyone I've mentioned it to.

But Facebook owning WhatsApp turns people off even faster...so that's why I have one friend and my boyfriend who refuse to use anything but Hangouts and SMS respectively while my other friends use Telegram and/or Discord.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

most people don't actually care about encryption (just look at people continuing to recommend Telegram lol)

Secure or not, no one's going to switch to Signal if barely anyone uses it.

There are many large tech groups on Telegram, everyone knows it's not secure...but just about everyone in my circles is also on it. That drives things much more than "but security".

That or Discord. But gently caress Discord because it kills even the flaggiest of flagships.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's perfect compared to snapchat.

Okay, yeah there's no denying that.

But at least Snapchat lets go of the camera and mic so if you close the app, it doesn't crash it if you open the Camera app. Discord is the only app that made my Pixel 2 get incredibly hot and shut off because it wouldn't stop trying to use the camera.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks to Fi, I'm still using Hangouts and it works decently. Got one straggler who refuses to use anything but Hangouts and my bf still uses SMS as if it's a modern thing (even goes so far as to take pictures of his monitor instead of just sending me the URL like a normal person...but eh).

I tried Messages for a week and the damned things wouldn't go through and had lag and all that fun stuff that SMS has that web-based messaging doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Android is gonna have total messaging app fragmentation for eternity, isn't it

Probably, yes. RCS will never happen in a way that makes it like iMessage. Didn't Apple have to force the carriers to play along with iMessage? If that's true, then Android will never have an iMessage equivalent since they can't really force the carriers to do anything.