Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, I deleted Weather Timeline and just got Dark Sky. I have like $18 in survey money so...total non issue there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

couldcareless posted:

Anyone been having issues with Android auto not re-enabling wifi after you turn it off/get out your car?

You're not alone:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto/comments/ahqym2/wifi_not_turning_back_on_after_aa_disconnect/

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

spincube posted:

I don't understand what that feature is for in the first place - is there any advantage to turning off wifi when you start driving?

Echophonic posted:

My wifi still picks up in my driveway at crappy speeds, so dropping it lets Spotify pick up more quickly before I start driving. So there's that, at least.

Uthor posted:

I get fine service in my driveway, but I'll ask Auto for directions as I'm pulling out and need to wait a minute for the phone to switch to LTE after losing signal and finish the request. It's mildly annoying.

This, plus if you connect to those "free" (free with cable subscription) wifi hotspots that your ISP/TV provider puts up in places sometimes it has a habit of connecting to them whenever you stop at a redlight. Most of those require accepting terms at a captive portal, so your phones data goes dead for the duration of the redlight. Annoying.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Hasn't Android, for several years now, checked for a valid data connection before fully connecting to a wifi signal, specifically to stop that from happening? Like, if you connect to a hotspot that requires login, it still falls back to LTE until you login and start getting data from it.

I knew someone was going to bring this up.

I've seen this work, but in my experience it takes a little bit of time for Android to recognize that there's no data flowing through the wifi connection. It works most of the time, but the redlight scenario like I described is one where it doesn't recognize it fast enough.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Ola posted:

I've wished for but never seen that functionality. Mabye it's the cheap-o phones I buy that don't support it.

I have a Pixel 2 XL, and it takes awhile to recognize and switch. It's not just a "cheap phone" thing.

I'm not really sure there's a solution, I mean they could speed up the time it takes to recognize no data flow but then you might get into a situation where your phone starts ping-ponging back between the two and chewing through your battery even quicker.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I like the new PocketCasts, don't @ me

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Uthor posted:

I specifically don't start using new Google apps cause I don't want to come to rely on them.

I'm dreading the day they force the switch from Google Music > Youtube Music.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

BisterdDave posted:

And that'll be the day I start using Spotify.

The ability to upload your own music, and ad-free youtube have kept me from switching to Spotify. I've also thought about rolling my own Plex based music library since I already do that for movies but...the plex app really sucks for music.

I have too much lovely metal that's not offered on Spotify/GPM that I've uploaded to GPM over the years.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Ironically that was suggested to me in my Google feed. Ron, of course is not wrong.

The YouTube Music app is so astoundingly bad. Remember when Google re-launched it as though it was ready for prime time then everyone was like "Hey, this is absolute dog poo poo" and they promised in August regular updates every two weeks with progress reports on how they're improving it and then they just never did that and it's still poop from a butt?

It's starting to happen:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/4/18294991/google-play-artist-hub-shutdown-april-music-streaming-indie

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Annath posted:

Is there a way to get Google Drive (or Onedrive) to keep a file synced between my computer and my phone, in a way that makes the file on the phone accessible to other apps?

I have a Gameboy Emulator on my PC and my Phone, and I'd like to keep the game saves synced such that I can stop playing on one device and resume on the other with the same save.

I have the save files in a folder on Google Drive, but it appears to Drive does not maintain a folder on the phone the same way it does on the computer, rather the phone app lets me browse what's stored in the cloud and select items to download manually.

I even selected one of the save files in the Drive app and selected "make available offline", and it says it did so, but I can't find a Google Drive folder on my phone storage or SD card when browsing the file system with the system file browser.

Check out Resilio Sync.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh it's a stat holiday here. Is it not a thing in the USA?

It's usually known as Easter Sunday in the US.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
I know some hotels offer "free" wifi that restricts what sites you can reach (and thus what apps work) unless you pay for it. I would double check your hotel wifi to see if this is what's going on.

It's a really lovely thing to do.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Am I going crazy or did you guys somehow jump to the wrong thread?

Tamba posted:

Yeah, those seem like replies to the other Android thread.

Huh, that's weird. I blame Awful app :getout:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Wacky Delly posted:

I know this is what they're going to do, but hopefully the in car integration stuff holds it off. Android auto's UI is way better than the default.

They're just getting rid of the AA app for your phone. Android Auto for your head unit will remain, and is in fact getting a pretty big upgrade this summer.

spincube posted:

For some reason Android Auto's been iffy for me as of late - it's pulled incorrect album artwork from Google Play Music for ages, and sometimes it'll absolutely refuse to answer to OK Google until the app is restarted.

The incorrect album art is some sort of deeper underlying problem than just Play Music. I moved off of Play Music onto my own Plex server, and the same bug happens while using Plex through AA also. They definitely messed something up with the way it caches album art or something like that awhile ago and never fixed it.

It'll happen across apps also. For example, if I recently listened to a station using TuneIn it'll sometimes take the art from a TuneIn station while listening to a song through Plex :psyduck:

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 15, 2019

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sir Lemming posted:

Is there a reputable app for extracting .7z archives?

I think solidexplorer can do this.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Internet Explorer posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure there's anything Google could do in the messaging space that could be impressive at this point. They have so completely lost the plot and are so far behind.

Copy imessage, tie it to your Gmail email account. Make it an API and force your OEMs to integrate that API into their lovely stock messaging apps. Done. I have solved the great google messaging problem.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Appoda posted:

Is there a universally recommended android app for file sync? There's a handful of things that would be convenient for me have automatically synced to my phone when I get home and google drive isn't quite what I'm looking for.

If you don't want to use something cloud based, I use Resilio Sync and it works good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Suddenly, this morning, Android Auto isn't projecting (wired) to my aftermarket head unit. The phone says it's charging and I can play audio over Bluetooth, but the unit just isn't detecting that Android Auto is running. Everything worked fine on Saturday. I'm going to try clearing cache and/or data on Android Auto, but does anyone have any other troubleshooting ideas?

Welcome to the Android Auto experience!!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Incessant Excess posted:

Sorry I should have been more specific, I mean something that lets me remote into a phone to help troubleshoot it for relatives for example.

I use TeamViewer for this. Works pretty good.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Chubby Henparty posted:

Since I got plexamp my mp3 library has exploded back to pre-spotify levels. I'd bin Spotify if plexamp played through our kitchen Google home speaker.

According to the Plex Forums, it's coming.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Sab669 posted:

Anyone else having this bug with Textra where if you have a conversation open, shut off the screen, get a text message, fingerprint to unlock then the new message doesn't show up in your conversation? I have to go back to the list of all of my conversations and re-open the chat to see it.

It's a minor thing, but it's very annoying

Yes, this is happening to me as well.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Does the Android swipe navigation play nice with third party launchers like Nova launcher now, or is that still broken? Running on a Pixel 5 with latest public Android OS if that matters.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Cool, I guess I'll finally force myself to make the switch. I don't use any custom launcher gestures, so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks guys.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there an app that'll let me use my phone as an infotainment system of sorts when I have it in my car mount? Ideally something that triggers automatically upon connection to a specific Bluetooth device.

Check out Automate - I used to use it years ago before I had a car with android auto and it does exactly what you want. Looks like it's still being worked on and updated.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitspice.automate

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

D-Pad posted:

Having a really weird issue on my Pixel 7 Pro.

My son's school uses an app called Join Our Class. I haven't had to use it since I upgraded from my 6 to the 7, but I just went to find it and it isn't on my phone even though I transferred all my apps. I figured maybe it got missed or deleted somehow so I went to the app store and it will not show up in search. Then I got on my desktop and went to the play store and the app shows up as the first result with the exact same search ("join our class"). I tried to install it to my phone from the desktop and it says it is already installed on my pixel 7 pro so it doesn't give me the option. It does not exist on my phone, I looked in the app settings menu and it does not show up there in the app list or in the unused apps list or in any kind of search.

What in the hell is going on?

Edit: Nevermind, I went back to the app store on desktop again and now says it is not compatible with my device (7 pro). I didn't even know that was a thing? Is there a way around it?

Sideload it from APKmirror.

E:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Could it be a 32 bit app? Pixel 7 went 64 only.

Could be this too.

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 5, 2022

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

I mean, outlook has the ability in the app itself to schedule notifications beyond the phone level DnD.

Yeah, this is what I use for Outlook and Teams on my phone. They have built in solutions for this.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Not all apps allow you to disable. Try a few different apps, if you see the option in other apps but not that one it might be the case.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Dabir posted:

I don't see how that stops Google putting a public transport button next to the walking and driving options like the phone app has

Easy answer here is that Wear OS doesn’t have the critical mass needed for app developers to care enough about anything other than getting the bare minimum working.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

bull3964 posted:

Samsung alone has (depending on the quarter) 30-50% of the Apple marketshare so it's not as small a market as you would think. Even Apple only has between 20-30% of the smartwatch marketshare.

I actually see Galaxy Watches (4/5/6) in the wild pretty frequently.

Ok, but are all of those watches on WearOS3? What about WearOS4? Or are half of them stuck on Tizen or old versions of WearOS that nobody cares about or bothers developing for?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Resonance22 posted:

My mom seems to be a savant in finding all the various Google messaging nooks and crannies. I was very surprised to see texts from her in my Google Photos app.

My father did this a few years ago, and I think this was the moment something switched in my brain and went "What the gently caress is google doing".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I use Remember the Milk and it covers all my use cases.

I still miss the app I had for my Palm, though. It could track which aisle items were it at multiple stores, so when shopping, you choose which store you're in, and hey presto, list sorts by aisle. If there's an Android app that can do that, they can have my money.

Was the app crowdsourced or something with that information, or did you have to enter it yourself?

Also, which Palm? WebOS, or one of the ones before that?

drat, a little off-topic but remembering Palm/WebOS brought me back to summer 2009, when I was reading about a (seemingly) three-way race bubbling between iPhone, Android, and Palm. Exciting times...