Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Action launcher is great even if you're not a home screen power user. The ability to put a drawer of direct dial widgets on my phone icon makes it a lot easier to dial up people while driving without looking. The quick navigation app drawer takes a while to get used to but if you have a lot of games that you only play as time wasters it's a nice, efficient thing. I don't use the widget drawers that much (can you have the Gmail widget just use your whole inbox instead of just one folder?) but I'll use it for Fenix and Google News here and there. After loving Nova (since the Google launcher's default aspect ratio is bad on the note 5) the Action Launcher provides me just enough features to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

brc64 posted:

I want to get my girlfriend a subscription to YouTube Red for Christmas, but it doesn't look like there's any easy way to do it. I can't find any evidence of gift subscriptions being a thing, but I also can't find any information on payment structures. I know it's $9.99/mo, but is there any option to buy more than a month at a time?

As it is, it looks like I'm going to have to sneak onto her computer to purchase it and put in my own credit card, but I'd like to at least be able to buy like a year upfront so I won't have to worry about managing the subscription if there's another credit card breach or something and I end up getting a new card again. Is that possible?

I'm posting from a phone or I'd spend the time to paste a link but after a quick google search you can gift a Google Music All Access subscription which would be the same as a Red sub.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'd been using Spotify for months when YouTube Red was announced. I subbed to it because I just watch too many youtube videos on mobile so it made it worthwhile. When I saw that I also got All Access, it was the only time I used the multiwindow feature on my Note 5. (to see what songs were in my playlists on spotify so I could port them over to google play.) I think I still like spotify slightly better but not nearly 10$ more a month better.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

I need an app to give me notification on new items in an RSS feed. It doesn't need to display content, but it'd be nice to get a clickable url or something.

What would be the absolute bestest is if they've got a server that sends a notification on new feed items so that my device isn't constantly polling an RSS feed.

Searching shows me a bunch of stuff, but it's effort to comb through it all...

I use Blogtrottr for this. They just send you an email every time an RSS feed updates, and I have gmail set to put it in my priority inbox so it sends me a notification (Inbox sends me one too). I use it for some podcasts that I like to listen to the second they update. It sometimes will take a couple of hours to send you the email but it's a lot better than using an RSS app.

They have dumb ads in every email but they're easy to ignore and just click the url.

I can understand if you want to avoid using email but it's the only sane thing I got to work when I was looking for a solution to a similar use case.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Pocket Casts is the best. I've never had a problem with it running while navigating, and unlike some music players it will actually pause the cast while some notification or anything else (Google maps lady talking) happens on your phone.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Oh my gosh, switch to pocket casts. You won't have a problem and it will be a lot prettier.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tots posted:

What's the hot cross platform group chat app these days? Slack maybe? That's marketed towards professional environments though. I'm looking for something that will be good for a hobby-based chat with like 100ish people in it for organizing get togethers, doing quick pulse checks, and general chat.

Telegram. The default theme is very sterile, but it's easily customizable without being a garbage app like Viber. GIF support, custom sticker support, as well as all the other stuff that's become more standard. I've admittedly only used the Android app, though I'm sure the other platform apps are great as well.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tots posted:

setup multiple channels in a single chat space. Now I just need to figure out how to automate invitations by handing out nothing other than a url.

Ooh, should've gone with discord.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Tots posted:

It's not too late to switch over and I haven't tried discord yet. Will check it out. Any specific advantages over Slack that you like?

Very easy to just give a blanket url to everyone to join. Much easier to use layout in my experience. And voice chat, if you like.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I don't know if I was just never using Pushbullet to its fullest capabilities, but Join is so amazing. A must have for Android. Buying as quickly as possible once it reminds me after the trial ends.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Mogomra posted:

I like how the 4th image for that VR thing on Amazon is a scantily clad lady. Like there's anything else people would want to do with the VR thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Chromer is so good. Don't know what I did without it.