Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Are we not going to just tell people to use Fenix in the OP? We should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Whizbang posted:

Tasker is dead.

Say what?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deong posted:

I've always been terrible at it (Both physical and hardware keyboards).

Because of your shaky hands.

I'm not thrilled, and think the prices are kinda steep, but I'll just pay the $40 and move on with my day. I use it nonstop and have gotten a year or two worth of free use, so $40 isn't bad.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Meldonox posted:

Welp, Tasker's back. Hooray.

Do icon pack recommendations count as app talk? I'm using Nova and I'm kinda curious if I'm missing out on a good one.

Maybe better suited for the Android Desktop thread, but I think it fits okay here too. The only icon pack I bother with is Moonshine, but I doubt it ever sees any more additions since it went open source

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I seriously think it's me and one other person that uses BeyondPod, but I love it and can't see myself switching anytime soon. Pocket Casts is nice, but lacks some of the options that I've gotten used to. Podcast Addict is nice and would be the most likely to take the top slot, but I'm admittedly so used to BeypndPod that it's not worth switching.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Can Solid Explorer (or any alternative) transfer files from one device to another via WiFi like ES can? I'm ready to ditch it, but I've found that feature pretty handy. I know PushBullet can handle smaller files, but it's nice to have a way to move larger ones.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Uthor posted:

Yay, not "OK Google" works again and the home screen search bar is the newest Marshmallow design!

One question: is there a way to hide the folder labels when you open a folder of apps on the home screen? I have labels turned off everywhere else and it's annoying me to see labels there. Ironically, I can hide the labels of the apps in the folder, not the folder itself.

What I've done to "fix" this in the past is simply put a space in the name.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Uthor posted:

Well, that's not perfect, but it'll do.

Typing just a space is surprisingly difficult with SwiftKey when you have it set to input the next prediction when you hit the space bar!

Haha, I have it set to the same thing, so I know your pain

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/12/16/rumor-hangouts-may-lose-sms-and-mms-capability-in-a-future-update/

Looks like if you use your carrier number with Hangouts SMS/MMS, you may lose the functionality in a later version of Hangouts on Android and probably iOS too.

If you use Hangouts with Google Voice or Project Fi, you'll be fine.

Glad to hear nothing has changed from a few hours ago ;)

EDIT: \/ Yeah, I realized quickly after posting. I was just giving him grief, but, turns out, I'm the one not paying attention.

XIII fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 17, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Does Messenger have a quick reply thing? That's what I like about Textra (and maybe other third-party texting apps).

Yes

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Deeters posted:

Can any of these other texting apps get Hangouts messages in them? My main driver for using Hangouts is that I can't have my phone with me at work, but can get to gmail on my work computer, so its nice to be able to pick my conversation up from either place.

No. The only app that can access Hangouts messages is Hangouts. Maybe, with the removal of SMS from Hangouts, they'll finally release the api needed to add Hangouts messages to third party apps (this will never happen).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Google must really hate the Hangouts team

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-reportedly-working-new-messaging-app-integrated-chatbots

:suicide:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hey, double post. Great.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Rexxed posted:

Solid File Explorer is 99c to unlock today, half of the regular price. For those who are still suffering the sting of ES File Explorer turning to crap, this is a pretty decent replacement/alternative.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2

BeastOfExmoor posted:

For anyone who is looking to migrate away from ES Explorer, Solid Explorer is on sale for $0.99 right now. You install the trial and then buy the full version as an in app purchase.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pl.solidexplorer2

Can you transfer files between two devices over wifi with Solid Explorer like you can with ES? It's not something I use that often, but, when I do, it's pretty handy. I don't need a file manager often, so I've still got ES installed, but I've considered switching.

EDIT: gently caress it, I just went ahead and bought it. It's pretty clearly better designed and worth a dollar. I basically only transfer large amounts of files between devices when I upgrade phones, so I'm not sure why I even cared.

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 24, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Weird thing: Maps isn't defaulting to my current location when I try to navigate. I have to select Starting Location and hit Current Location. Anyone else getting this?

EDIT: disabling Maps then enabling it again fixed it

XIII fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 25, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I use the web browser for Facebook and Messenger to chat and have no issues.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Yeah, this is what I do as well. I use Firefox though, so I don't get notifications, but it's not like I get that many anyway.

I don't even use the Chrome notifications. I just get emails when things happen and that system works well enough.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

vyst posted:

Once I disabled all of the GPS bullshit in Facebook and messenger I actually had very little battery suckage from either

That might explain why I've never seen the much talked about battery drain. I always turn that off, simply because none of my friends care where I'm sending messages from, so why bother

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Google should just rename Rewards to "Have you been to Walgreens lately?"

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The rear end Stooge posted:

It keeps asking me whether I've been to one of several auto parts stores recently. The one time I actually had was very exciting.

Keep in mind "More than a month ago" is one of the answer choices, so be sure to milk that AutoZone visit for all the extra pennies you can.

EDIT: GUYS, THEY'RE WATCHING ME!!! I just got a "Been to Walgreens lately?" survey. If this is my final post, tell the world what really happened here.

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 14, 2016

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I hope no one tells Google about what I use my reddit app for...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Nova Launcher Prime

Action Launcher 3

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^ e:fb

ilifinicus posted:

I use Action Launcher because swiping on an app to see the folder, while tapping opens the app, is genius (Covers)

To be fair, you can do this with Nova (and probably Apex too) too. I kind of prefer how Nova does it, in that you don't have to have the "tap to open" app in the folder, unlike Action. That said, I love Action's slide out app drawer so much more than the traditional app drawer.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

IuniusBrutus posted:

Is there a way to retrieve the music I uploaded too Google Play Music? Or am I SOL?

You can download your entire catalog

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I was mostly looking for recommendations on the actual OBD device. I'll look into these. And yes, looking for a diagnostic tool to try and nail down my Check Engine light before dragging my car to the dealership.

For what it's worth, you can go to any Autozone and they'll check it for free.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hangouts finally has a quick reply! Looks like they haven't stripped SMS functionality...yet.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/0...e-apk-download/

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

Stop the presses people!!!!! Listed for the latest update for Google music! I'd like to think the daily feedback I've been giving over the issue prompted them to action (yeah, yeah, I know better.)

Hopefully it fixes it once and for all.

Haha, I saw that earlier and thought of the people in this thread.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I feel like I saw this mentioned recently, but is anyone else getting weird behavior with Gmail syncing? It'll suddenly drop nine emails on me at once, all with different receipt times.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, google is rolling out a fix server side soon.

Thanks. Not like I get anything super time sensitive, just worried I'd botched something

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Require More Fire posted:

So I think I'm going to switch over to BeyondPod from PocketCasts because BP supports paid podcasts, but I don't see a setting for cutting out silences like PocketCasts has. Am I missing it or do they not have such a feature?

Long time BeyondPod user here: BP doesn't have that feature.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Are there any good apps to tweak/replace Active Display in Marshmallow? I just moved from a Moto X to Nexus 5X, and AD is a good enough substitute for Motorola's implementation but I don't want my screen lighting up for EVERY notification.

I used AC Display on my Note 3 and it was pretty good.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It definitely happens to me

It occasionally happens to me.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Uthor posted:

AutoMate shows promise, but I haven't used it much because I don't drive long distances unless it is away from internet access, so I'm not able to use it properly.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitspice.automate

Goddammit. I fiddled around with this for a bit and thought it was cool, but uninstalled it since I don't take many long road trips...except for the 14hr drive I made solo yesterday. Wish I'd remembered this.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Require More Fire posted:

What's the status of this dumb bug in Gmail where notifications don't get delivered? Last I heard it was something there were fixing server-side, and that was a few weeks back. I'm still not getting notifications reliably though, sometimes I'll get one or two but often I have to open the app to get it to sync. Are they still working on this or what.

I'm still seeing the bug too. Oddly, one account seems to be delivering them fine, whereas my other account isn't.

Account 1: Hey, here's an email you just got.
Account 2: OH poo poo HERE COMES 13 EMAILS FROM THE LAST FEW HOURS

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Someone made a Google Play Music Desktop player that has some more features than the website:

http://www.googleplaymusicdesktopplayer.com/

Looks like it takes the website and puts it in a nice wrapper so it can support some additional stuff, like themes and hotkeys. It's pretty nice, and I'll be using this until google breaks it in some horrible way.

Oooh, this is pretty nifty. Thanks!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deong posted:

I still can't speak Spanish, but I can point and say a noun.

This is also how deong speaks English.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I guess I'm a huge weirdo, because I just glance at Google Now in the morning and that gets me through the day.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

uPen posted:

Depends on where you live I guess? I never look at radar anything because it always just looks like this:

Oh no weather today, great. :geno:

I live in Denver, so our forecast is basically always "Sunshine".

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Just stopping in to say I loving hate the new Google apps icons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Taffer posted:

What apps changed? Everything still looks the same to me.

So far, Play Books is the only one that's changed for me, but the rest will soon. The Play Music web interface has been updated too.