Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Oh, yeah, those updated for me too, I just have them hidden from my app drawer, so I didn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Require More Fire posted:

Podcasts in Google Play Music is going live. It's already up on the web side, and it's rolling out on the app side (to US and Canada). https://googleblog.blogspot.com/2016/04/welcome-to-google-play-music-podcast.html

Hmm, I wonder if it will properly handle resuming a track if you play a song or something. I've tried to use Music for audiobook files, but it kinda sucks because you have to keep track of where you are in the chapter if you want to play something else before you're done.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Atomicated posted:

I skipped to the half way point in a podcast and hit reload and when I got back it seemed to remember where I was so it seems like it.

My concern was if you listened to half a podcast episode, then wanted to listen to music for a bit, then went back to the podcast. Would it start the podcast over or would it remember where you were? Seeing that podcasts are broken into their own section makes me think it won't be an issue though. But, this being a day 1 Google release, I wouldn't be surprised either way...

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

My friend once dated a girl who believed that unless you doing things that actively "got you dirty", like laying around in actual dirt/mud, then a person never needed to use soap. She neither owned soap nor used it for months at a time believing that it was impossible to require it if you simply avoided dirt itself.

Wait, are you trying to say this ISN'T how it works?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The Ferret King posted:

Did removable media kill your parents?

People frequently post about issues with SD cards (card failure, things getting hosed when you move data to them, etc) and most all of those issues could have been avoided by buying a phone with enough internal storage, like Endless Mike suggested. I understand that I might be an outlier since I can stream everything without worrying about data caps, but I'll never go back to using an SD card.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

You've been...Samsung'd!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

brc64 posted:

Is anybody else getting this with Google Maps recently?

I guess they don't want me to forget what road I'm on...

Is it telling you to "Continue on blah blah blah for X miles" every. single. mile.? I've had that happen a couple times (but it didn't show the road number, like yours is) and it was super annoying.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, I'm a big fan of Hangouts, but why the gently caress does it randomly lose contact photos?!

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/06/16/new-skiftkey-beta/

They just added a clipboard manager to SwiftKey Beta and I already think it's a great feature. Being able to pin something that you say a lot then copy it to your clipboard quickly is really nifty. Plus, it'll be even better when paired with PushBullet's universal copy/paste (which I initially thought would be useless, but I find myself using constantly).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Speaking of Swiftkey, is there any way to get the Voice button as a primary button instead of a secondary button?

No

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Agoat posted:

If they give it SMS support it will be a direct upgrade to any other app. An actual all in one messenger with extra features would be great. WhatsApp and the others only work if everyone gets the app, making it useless for me.

Edit: Google's SMS app on the play store is good.

If Allo does SMS, I'll probably switch to it immediately because the handful of people I talk to via Hangout messages would also gladly switch. I just want one app that handles both, which is why I use Hangouts. If Google stands behind Allo more than they did Hangouts (fat loving chance, I know), then I'll use it.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

This only gives me hope for the big update to Launcher Pro that's been in the works since 2011.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haha, yeah, I saw that and had to do a double take.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

This question might be a little niche, but gently caress it:
Anyone else on the latest BeyondPod beta unable to stream episodes?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The only issue I have with Hangouts is that, since the last update, it refuses to display contact photos in the message thread. It'll show them in the conversation list, but not in the messages themselves. Still, my communications are 50/50 between Hangout messages and SMS, so I'm not switching apps just over that.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just love Google's insistence on splitting things into single purpose apps. Why use Hangouts for data messaging, SMS/MMS, and video calls when you could use Messenger for SMS/MMS, Allo for data messaging, and Duo for video calls? Or when they removed functionality from Drive and made you install apps like Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Docs which then tie back into Drive anyway. I'm sure it has to do with ease of maintaining the apps, but goddamn.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

What the gently caress is up with the way the latest Gmail update handles notifications? Now when you delete an email from the notification it repeats it or some poo poo, so you briefly get a second notification in addition to the one that says deleted. Not only is it annoying on its own, it fucks up the ability to interact with them via Pushbullet.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I use Feedly, I'm pretty happy with it.

Same. I've tried a couple alternatives and can see the appeal of them, but feedly just works for me. I'm sure it's a case where there's a "better" app out there and I'm only sticking with this one because I'm comfortable with it, but, in this case, I'm totally fine with that

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

resistentialism posted:

When I tried to do this it would pause playback at the end of every track.

I've had that happen to few times in the past, but it's not typical behavior.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

actionjackson posted:

Is there an as app that does screen brightness adjustments like f.lux but doesn't cause problems with the screen overlay? I can't use twilight because of that.

Try Lightflow and use the Use Alternative Overlay option. Not sure it'll work for you, but it's worth a shot (it's also a really good app). I know that most apps that use an overlay gently caress up your ability to install apps (at least without disabling said overlaying app first), but I don't have any such issues, so maybe it'll for what you're doing.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Well, looks like not all hope for Hangouts is lost.

http://phandroid.com/2016/08/24/hangouts-android-shruggie/

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I hope it'll let me replace all my missing SMS contact photos with shruggies, and replace "Unfortunately Hangouts has stopped working" with " ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ".

The missing contact photo thing annoys me so. loving. much. It was enough to push me to using Hangouts and Messenger, despite HATING having it split into two apps.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

jyrka posted:

Feedly.

Same. I can group things by topic, save articles for later, and mark as read when I scroll through. That's all I need.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I like Fit because it regularly thinks I'm driving when I'm biking.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

No, Strava isn't a pedometer. You can track how far and fast you walked, but it doesn't run in the background and count steps. That said, I use it daily to track my commute (by bike) because I like seeing if I can beat my best times and it's far from the biggest battery drain in my life. I can't say I've ever noticed it being in the top battery use unless I'm doing a 3+ hr ride.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

This is what the loving Hangouts team is doing instead of fixing all the bugs in the app.

Yeah, was talking about this earlier. I haven't had contact photos in SMS threads for probably six months (finally caved and switched to Messenger), but at least I can type /tableflip and get some dumb poo poo.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

teagone posted:

This is me, I also do not have contact photos in SMS threads in hangouts. I also don't like allo. I am hosed.

I meant in Hangouts as well, FWIW.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

What bugs are you all seeing? Hangouts works great for me.

Do you let Google+ handle contact images? Are the images correct on contacts.google.com? When you follow back from the images in Hangouts does it lead to the correct contact card?

If I have someone on G+, it overrides the photo I've set (all five or six people in my life that have G+). All the images are correct in the Contacts app and online. And clicking their blank contact icon opens their contact card, complete with photo.

deong has this same behavior. We bitch about it twice a week or so.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hangouts definitely follows the rules for Do Not Disturb on my phone.

Also same.

However, the newest Hangouts update (v13) seems to have replaced group threads that have a custom title with an empty contact icon, instead of just showing small versions of everyone's contact photo, so that's super exciting.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

Moto Migrate was too good for this world :angel:

For a brief, shining moment, Moto was doing some really good work. RIP good Moto.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

deong posted:

While we're bitching about Now Assistant, Does anyone still get their parking location saved? Mine would for a while when it first came out, but I mostly bike and didn't pay attention. Now apple has it and I don't think I've seen it in a few years?

Works pretty well for me, although I don't use it much anymore now that I'm more familiar with the city. Besides, you and I basically only ever go to the same few bars and restaurants, all of which are within stumbling distance of your apartment, so who cares?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I never have the parking thing NOT work. I'm pretty sure Google notices when you disconnect from your car's bluetooth to make note of where you parked...maybe you guys who have problems with it don't use BT in your car?

I've always had a really good experience with the parking card and I didn't start using a BT stereo until very recently. Maybe I'm just lucky. That said, I would like the ability to quickly drop a pin to mark where I parked.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

Do Pushbullet or MightText properly clear SMS notifications now? That's one of the couple of things that's bugging me about Join (plus the not-so-good SMS mirroring).

Pushbullet does if you're using (Google) Messenger (you also have to click the notification pop-up on your computer. Opening it later doesn't work). No clue why it doesn't work when using Hangouts.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've used the same photo of my dog for a couple years because I like my dog.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I once got a survey while in a theater. The questions asked when the last time I saw a movie in theaters. One of the answers was, "I'm at the theater now." Like, drat, Google, be cool. At least pretend you aren't tracking me in real time.

(to be fair, I see a lot of movies. Also, it was still in the pre-preview part where the lights are still up and they're just playing normal advertisements, before anyone thinks I was on my phone during a movie)

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Hangouts has been driving me crazy for the latest couple of versions because any group chat that has a custom name now displays a blank contact icon. I know at least one friend who's seeing the same behavior. Godfuckingdammit, Hangouts team, stop adding poo poo like "/shruggie" and fix things

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Yeah this is annoying. Does creating a new conversation and renaming it cause the icon to disappear?

Just tested it and, yep, it does the same thing. I've also tried creating a contact with the group's name to see if that might work (it didn't).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I've toyed with the idea of using FB Messenger as my sole messaging app now that it handles SMS

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

hooah posted:

How are you folks getting Android Auto to work on just your phone? I just downloaded it yesterday after reading the news, but it doesn't seem like it wants to work unless I connect it to an Android Auto-capable car. Am I just behind a version?

Yeah, I installed it off the Play Store and it was a version behind. Just push the newest apk and you'll be golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I really like Action Launcher 3, mainly because of the slide out app drawer.