Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So I recently moved over to android after years on iOS (I got a 5X), and I was wondering if someone could refer to me to some apps for the following uses.

Package/Delivery Tracking: It's christmas shopping time, so this is definitely a thing I need soon. Something to feed tracking/order numbers to so I can keep an eye on where everything is. This is what I used to use on iOS, and something as similar as possible would be great. That app would provide push notifications, read entries off the clipboard, and could also take amazon order numbers so you could feed it to them as soon as you placed the order. Something as similar to this would be awesome.

Todo.txt: A TODO.txt app that can easily sync between my PC and my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I've only ever googled a few football scores, and a pile of my cards are NFL related. But it only ever shows Jets stuff, despite looking up other teams.

At least it does show me hockey stuff.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Myself, I'm looking for something that does the todo.txt type format. Most to do list ones are like a single tasks by day, and that's not really what I'm looking for. I'm more looking for something to sync between my desktop, filter between relevant tasks, and check off when I've done things. I'm not keen on how todoist likes to give me notificaitons nagging me I didn't complete things the day I put them in.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It probably wont accept an expired one. I know Apple wont and wont let you have access to the app store without one.

You could probably get away with a visa gift card tho

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I really recommend metal for your Facebook app sucks needs.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's somewhat annoying for notifications, but then that's notifications for you in the first place. But I find it beats using the mobile site in firefox or chrome.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You can go into Metals preferences and turn off the new UI.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The other day Facebook messenger decided to use 11% of my battery despite me never using it and afaik giving it reasonable settings about updates.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Keepass2Android, Keepass is the best password manager

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You can also just throw that .kdbx file onto literally any cloud and just use it from there. You can literally just free dropbox or gdrive to host it and keepass is very good about syncing between different platforms and handling conflicts.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I just did a personal survey of password managers to replace LastPass. LastPass is to be acquired by a private equity firm in 2020 so I figured even though I have four months to go on my family plan it's probably better to be ready to abandon ship at a moment's notice. Here's what I found:

Bear in mind, I need this to be multi-platform (Mac, Windows, ChromeOS, Android, and iOS) and have easy sharing. A couple I could eliminate at the outset were KeePass because it's far, far too DIY and crappy for any normal person to rely on it. Why yes, some rando's app for this platform can be different from that other rando's app for this other platform and I have to do my own database management? Yeah that's dumb nerd poo poo--hard pass. At the extreme other end is Dashlane which is a dollar a year cheaper than hiring a person to follow you around with a notepad who will type in every password for you. Their family plan is just buying a second $60/year plan for each family member. I'll bet the complimentary blowjobs are great though.

I went all in on Bitwarden since it's the logical choice. After a month I gave up and went back to LastPass but I will say anyone using KeePass should definitely switch. It's got all the same "features" like an obvious amateur designing a bad user interface and self-hosting so you don't have to rely on somebody who knows what they're doing to run things while at the same time is about, oh conservatively, a million trillion times nicer than using KeePass. I found that as soon as you compare it with a paid-for, designed and run by professionals password manager it's complete rear end, but comparing it to the open source sewer KeePass it's absolutely astoundingly good.

Where Bitwarden fell apart was in the difficulty of using it. No in-field prompts, absolutely terrible handling of bank details or identity information fills, and a really bad interface that never ever did what I wanted it to do. I took for granted that you can just right click and LastPass can intelligently fill in any data on any page without any searching whereas with Bitwarden the context menu just has links to the user/pass of the site you're on and then only if its detection worked. Otherwise it gives you nothing. There were a million other annoyances and bugs that I detailed at the time that I could tell you because another friend of mine was asking for details on how lovely it was as I was using it but suffice it to say that if you think LastPass is janky (and it is), then Bitwarden is far jankier. One positive thing I can say about Bitwarden is that the price is right if there are only two people you care about and honestly if you've never used a good password manager I get the feeling you'd be really happy with it.

I haven't switched yet but I think I've settled on 1Password as where I'm going once I do. It's got a ton of weirdness to it. It uses some questionable methods to do what it does but they've been vetted and seem secure enough, I just don't want to deal with switching to it until it becomes necessary. Prices are competitive with LastPass and it seems to have feature parity although sharing seems to be a bit lovely compared to pretty much every alternative.

I do want to end up by saying it's not that I like LastPass that much or even trust them (though Tavis likes them the best of the non-DIY ones). It's obvious LogMeIn had no interest in improving it and the sale to private equity just means the price will go up while the service will get worse. I'm certainly not saying anyone just starting out should go to LastPass. I am saying that everything else I've tried has been way worse.

this is a lot of words about being too mad to use keepass

Zorak of Michigan posted:

When I used Keepassdroid, I had the same experience. Since switching to Keepass2Android and having it connect directly to Dropbox, it's been trouble-free.

patrician choice

also autofill is pretty dumb and unreliable, but keepass2android comes equipped with a keyboard, select the entry, switch keyboards, enter login info with a few taps, no copy paste. also it's free and easy

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Perhaps, however...

...this is exactly an example of what I'd call absolutely garbage UI. Imagine, if you will, your mother trying to do this. By comparison how it works on a real password manager is, if there's a login on the page and you tap on it, a biometric check pops up and if you authenticate it fills it in.

I'm sure switching keyboards because autodetect exists but doesn't function, then switching back once you've logged in (and presumably found a text box to invoke the keyboard, if you remember) is just peachy for you, but you'd have to be pretty far gone to think most people would find this acceptable.

Of course, that's exactly why I mentioned that KeePass users should try out Bitwarden! This is exactly the kind of thing that Bitwarden can do correctly without anything dumb like changing your keyboard to enter a password. Bitwarden is pretty much just "What if KeePass worked? Like what if a normal person without a busted brain actually could use KeePass? What would that be like?" Bitwarden is also free and unlike KeePass being free and "easy" it's actually no foolin' easy without sarcasm quotes!

yes, it's truly awful having a very easy back up method when autofill inevitably breaks

stay mad hoes

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

vyst posted:

Pulse SMS is great

Isn't pulse SMS from the same guy that did Talon?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
brave is the best browser on the market, and the BAT stuff is completely optional

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

LastInLine posted:

Optional or not, I place cryptocurrency right there with pedophilia for things I am not interested in associating with.

this is possibly one lf the dumbest things ive read all day, and ive been on tankie twitter all day

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
god gently caress apple

i hope their factories stay closed for months

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Is weather Timeline still good or is it still poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
i would forgo any other music app on my phone to have foobar on it, its literally the best music player ever produced. its the definition of function over form and its beautiful