Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Please put a link to the general Android and Android Games topics in OP, thx in advanced.

I just thumbed through my app drawer for suggestions to add to the list. Here are some more apps that I'm pleased with or know enough other people are pleased with to mention:

• JuiceSSH does a thing that you care about if you're a computer janitor.
  • Lux does pretty much anything you could imagine pertaining to screen brightness. Lets you set brightness for any amount of ambient light, change the circumstances under which the brightness adjusts, and it has a warm/red overlay if you dig that kinda thing. There's a lite version for free.
  • MuPDF is a lightweight interface for a snappy PDF rendering engine. Does just enough to let you open a PDF on your phone without wanting to kill yourself.
  • Power Toggles puts a bar at the top of your pull-down menu with buttons to quickly manipulate your settings. Like the Samsung one, but not lovely. Provides a flashlight.
  • Slack has an android app, but if your team is already using it you probably know that.
  • Steam also has an android app. You can buy stuff to play on your computer and have it start downloading for you when you get home. Also some other stuff. Frankly, they need to bite the loving bullet and expand their market to actually distributing Android games, but that's not a subject we need to go into here.

Also a question. Does anybody know about a good volume manager, like Lux but for sound? In particular, I'd like my phone to be even quieter (without being completely silent, obv) than its lowest volume setting, so that I can occasionally view a quick link to a youtube video or whatever in a quiet place without disrupting the peace or breaking out my headphones.

EDIT: Also, I asked this a long time ago but wasn't satisfied with the answer then and I'm hoping something has changed: Is there a good recommendation for a vault app that I can store sensitive photos or documents in, but still have accessible after a password entry? Ideally it would be an encrypted container that would mount as a virtual directory and then unmount on screen-lock, but I dunno how much of that requires root.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
What messaging apps integrate both visual voicemail and SMS, so that they appear in one united log? The stock app on my phone does it and I think Hangouts does it. Anything else?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
What? No, of course we do, I've taken bucketloads of single-question surveys for 10c exactly. That makes it look like the surveyee actually gets 100% of the credit that the surveyor pays for.

It's not shocking. Surveyors are buying their patrons giftcards to the Google company store, essentially, and from that, Google already has their cut. It's also serving the same role as a coupon, by increasing customer interest in browsing the store in the first place and maybe even putting their own money into it. Plus, they get the plaintext and meta-data from all these surveys that somebody else is paying the incentive on. It's plenty reason to facilitate.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

zerocrash posted:

Any recommendations for a widget to switch between stereo and mono audio? I can only have one earphone on at work so it would be nice to not have to jump into the settings every time I'm done.

I don't know that one exists. Apparently, Mono accessibility wasn't added until pretty recently, actually, and it looks like people who were hard-of-hearing in one ear didn't even have a third-party system-wide substitute.

If you're rooted, though, you can manage two different profiles for the same app. If it has a setting for mono, then... Maybe you could have a work-version and an elsewhere-version.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Huh, I just checked back in with how VLC for Android was doing and it's pretty sharp. I can't see any reason to use MX Player anymore. VLC's widget is really tepid, though, which dissauds me from dropping Poweramp. Kind of surprised, considering the strong theming support the desktop program has.

Anyway, a question: is there a mediation app that will track the last music player I was using and relay a "headphone insertion" signal to it? I like my music turning on the moment I plug in, but I listen to both internet radio and my own music, and though VLC could handle them both, it's more satisfactory to handle them with separate apps.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Maybe clear Google Play Services' cache? Perhaps go so far as to un-/re-install it's unlisted?

Eikre
May 2, 2009

niethan posted:

Anyone know a good free spy camera app for recording video with screen off?

I scrolled through the list of apps on fdroid and it looks like simple "your hardware does a thing" apps are a popular genre. That's at least one that turns your phone into an IP camera, which means you could leave it somewhere and have your footage without needing to retrieve it.

Please don't be using this advice for illicit sex reasons.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Bitorrent Sync is peer-to-peer instead of cloud-based and does route directly to other devices on the same LAN if they're available there. You can deny it from using mobile data to sync with an option in the app config, but if you want to specifically preclude any transmissions via the internet, you can just deny sync traffic on your outbound router serving your NAS, such that connections can only be established on your own network.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Firefox will continue playing a YouTube video in the background.

If you want something standalone, I looked through off-playstore apps and found one called NewPipe which will play a video's audio in the background as well as just downloading it straight-up. Irritatingly, it won't continue playing a video in the background, which makes it less useful for things like lectures that might have incidental visuals but which don't actually need to be watched the whole time.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Does anybody use the CVS pharmacy app? My partner had it installed and then yesterday it did suddenly downloaded 7.06GB of data and completely filled the remaining storage on the phone, which made pretty much everything abruptly stop working. I open-palm slapped the uninstall button without a moment's delay, but what the gently caress??

Eikre
May 2, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

In Poweramp any way to exclude podcasts / certain folders? Using Antenna Pod. Cheers.

Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I don't really feel like setting up a gmail account on my phone to test, but what happens if you just open up <html> tags in the plaintext? Seems to me that you could just copy the source code. Might not fit in the Signature field if you're using some bullshit base64 JPG, though.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
A couple things I'm interested in:

-A file explorer that can make me a widget that hardlinks directly to a particular directory. I keep certain reference images and documents and stuff and would like to just put them all in the same place and go directly there from my home screen rather than opening the file browser (or gallery or Google docs or whatever) and navigating to them.

-A shopping list app that I can synch with another user and which automatically un-checks old items rather than making a new duplicate on the same list, so that I can keep persistent notes about those items. The behavior I'm imagining is that one of us goes to create a new item on the list and starts typing "carrots" or whatever and the old, already-checked-off "baby carrots" (the details field of which has information about which store to buy them at, or whatever) is presented as a suggestion. Previous collaborative list apps I've tried had a way to un-checks items but you had to search through your list to see if you already had it and I found it irritating.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Stevie Lee posted:

my credit union doesn't even have case-sensitive passwords

If I recall correctly, Blizzard eliminated case sensitivity and saw no notable increase in accounts being stolen but did have many fewer support tickets for lost passwords.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

I checked the OP and the last few pages and didn't see anything: is there a good audio recording app that won't spy on my poo poo (i.e. no camera/location/phone access)? I don't mind dropping a few dollars. I just want something where I can set my phone (Pixel 3 XL, if it matters) in the middle of a table and have it record the room for meetings and things.

When I'm interested in a super simple hardware application like this, my first stop is the F-Droid repository. There are a few audio recorders there. Results will vary, but there's not much of a hassle to try stuff out.

ImPureAwesome posted:

Is there a good recommended swipe keyboard? the built in samsung one constantly gets stuff wrong

Have you tried Gboard? People sometimes like other keyboards for their swipe-feel more, but Gboard is extremely needs-suiting.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Sextro posted:

But seriously. What email app best suits my needs of: I get way too many emails, I read none of them and they're all irrelevant except for plucking out tracking numbers/travel info that Assistant missed, and I hate being in front of a desk so the mobile/app version needs to be fully featured.

Okay well only one of these things is true and I'm going to guess it's the first one because "I read nothing and I hate sitting still at a place of work" indicates favorable odds towards the possibility that you do not have the aptitude to write a coherent or worthwhile email in the first place, so we're not going to be needing any capability to do that. You should just use Gmail, filter all of the mail from your Assistant into a folder of things that are actually important, and then search your unsorted inbox ad-hoc when you feel like there's something else you need and tag those messages into the the Actually Important folder in the event that you actually find them. Remain completely inscrutable under all other circumstances and train your colleagues to avoid the dismay of contacting you by anything but telephone and face-to-face conversation.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Oh, so many albums that I delicately MP3Tag'd and organized into the perfect folder structure for Rockbox, back in 2007. So many 144x144 bitmap images of the album cover art sitting in the folders instead of being embedded. Every track that was released as a single, tricked out with the cover from that release (if it was any loving good, anyway.) I had every Muse album just on the strength of how coherent all of their cover art looks when you scroll through it.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

LastInLine posted:

How is Google this organizationally chaotic?

They spent so long worshiping The Algorithm that they, themselves, are now but a crew of quasi-intelligent automatons. It's clearly their hope that the emergent results of a thousand energetic but unthinking parallel processes can produce work of the same worth as an entity with actual discretion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Any recommendations for an app that lets you use your phone as a keyboard for a windows machine on you wLAN?