Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

You can also use Google Drive I think.

edit: yeah you can

Also, the OP is missing grocery apps. I don't use one, but I was just thinking about getting something set up for wife and I to use. Is Our Groceries still the thing to use?

I use Out of Milk. It's very pretty but the syncing is unreliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Julet Esqu posted:

You like it? I'm thinking of switching soon.

I'm not thrilled, I'll be switching back to cricket sometime this year.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Karthe posted:

Hey, so whatever happened to Google Play Music gaining podcast management? I haven't heard anything about it since they announced it, the beginning of December?

They're too busy making another messaging app since they decided they don't like the two they already have.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Question about Out of Milk.

I want to share a list with my live-in GF so we can keep track of our pantry and freezer items, but in the pantry list section I don't see any option to share... Only shopping lists can be shared, near as I can tell.

Am I stupid and not seeing it, or can only shopping lists be shared?

If you're both signed in to the same account you should be able to press sync to send it. In my experience out of milk's syncing/sharing is unreliable garbage

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

program666 posted:

I removed es explorer now that they seem adamant to cram even more "traps" in their interface, on the OP there are other two suggestions fx explorer that is paid (I'm ok with it) and solid explorer that the op don't seem certain if it's good. What would be the downside of solid explorer? Lack of network browsing or something?

Just use airdroid, it's so much nicer than anything else I've used.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nexus6 posted:

Ad blockers do that too

That sounds amazing, what is your preferred adblocker for installing on a Vizio TV?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Uthor posted:

Yes!

Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't use Google Now much, but even less since Now on Tap showed up (Now on Tap has proved to be completely useless every time I've tried it).

Now on tap is amazing for maps, I use it 3-5 times a day. It fucks up every few days but that's typically because an address is poorly formatted or something.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mister Fister posted:

Can anyone recommend a podcast streaming app? Beyondpod is freaking weird as hell, if i try to run both Beyondpod and Google Maps, Beyondpod stops playing when i switch focus to Google Maps.

I had this problem in Lollipop, switching apps didn't fix it, only thing that worked was rebooting the phone once or twice a week.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mister Fister posted:

Was it with BeyondPod? Because Google Music and Soundcloud work just fine with my Google Maps, it seems like it's ONLY beyondpod that does this.

I have marshmallow/Nexus 6p if that makes a difference.

Beyondpod and audible. Fwiw I'm now also using a 6p and run beyondpod with google maps 2+ hours a day.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Uthor posted:

Why not just use Android Pay at that point?

Because you can use Samsung pay for things besides buying coffee?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Heavy Hands posted:

You mean something like OneNote?

Onenote works great, S-note is also cool.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

XIII posted:

I guess I'm a huge weirdo, because I just glance at Google Now in the morning and that gets me through the day.

Depends on where you live I guess? I never look at radar anything because it always just looks like this:

Oh no weather today, great. :geno:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Helicon One posted:

I thought there might be legal tripwires with trying to implement something like what I was hoping for.

Ripping everything to my PC once and then being able to throw it into cloud storage might be an acceptable compromise. I'm guessing (hoping) that doesn't limit me only to files that are also available on that service, and I can use it for basically any audio file I upload?

Is there a reason you want to pay a fee to have the music you own on disc uploaded rather than just paying a fee to listen to any song you want? I'd just get a Spotify/play music subscription and call it a day.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Does Google Keep and MS OneNote have good widgets? I'd like a light, simple to-do-list that syncs with my PC. The one I'm currently is connected to a Gmail account but the widget doesn't sync automatically and the Activities list in Gmail don't sync properly at all most of the time.

Do you have to create some dumb Microsoft account for OneNote to sync with Win 10? I just want a list of stuff I need to do for work that I can easily access on both my phone and PC.

Onenote is cool but it's a clunky piece of poo poo on phones in my experience, keep is so much faster.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

I don't use Twitter, but...i don't see how twitter could be a huge data hog in the first place. It's just small amounts of text.

It's also lots of pictures and short video clips.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

Well yes, but aren't those just links? It seems odd to me that apps would just be downloading all linked images and videos by default.

Mostly they're embedded.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Blue Train posted:

why even autoplay them at all then wth

Most of them have subtitles.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Luchadork posted:

Has there been any more word about what the gently caress Google is doing with Allo/Duo/Hangouts/Messenger? I am still perplexed over why Allo/Duo need to exist, UNLESS Hangouts is going away.

iirc they're stripping the SMS functionality out of hangouts but otherwise it will remain unchanged.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AnimalChin posted:

What's everyone's favorite recipe app?

Or are they all pretty much the same?

I use and love paprika.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Stan Taylor posted:

Does anyone use these saving/stock trading apps like Acorn or Stash Invest or Robin Hood? Are any of them actually worthwhile or do they have a catch?

Acorn has low rates and iirc they don't match. If you want to do something like that find a bank that does the same thing, mine does and matches my contributions up to $250/year.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

deong posted:

While we're bitching about Now Assistant, Does anyone still get their parking location saved? Mine would for a while when it first came out, but I mostly bike and didn't pay attention. Now apple has it and I don't think I've seen it in a few years?

I get one like every day but it gets confused by trains so it usually thinks I parked at whatever station I stop at.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I looked at alternatives when they rolled out their pricing scheme but I apparently don't use it enough for it to cost anything. If I didn't read this thread I probably wouldn't even know you could pay for pushbullet.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Stan Taylor posted:

Off topic but I can't imagine this can even come close to the genius of Wizard People, Dear Reader.

Also that sounds like a weird way to play audio over a movie. You're supposed to hook the phone audio to the home theater system?

Syncing it with the movie is the hardest part of rifftrax so having an app do it for you is pretty cool.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

RandomPauI posted:

Are there any apps or app launchers that'd be good for seniors who want to use their smart phones? My mom can get really confused during times of stress and anxiety so it's really important that they're intuitive.

Jitterbug is very easy to use and they've got free phone support you can call at anytime.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Is there an app that just sets your wallpaper to https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html and actually works? I've tried several and they all seem to stop working after a while or never work at all.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

CLAM DOWN posted:

What's a good app for cooking recipes? I don't necessarily mean searching for recipes out there to use, I also want to store my own!

I really really like paprika but it's $5.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

baka kaba posted:

Dunno about youse specifically, but it's common for their automated systems to make more calls than they have people to handle, so their workers finish a call and immediately have another pitch to start with zero downtime

It means a lot of redundant extra calls that never get a worker on them, which sucks for the people getting cold called, but lol if you think they care about messing you around for nothing

Oh hi! Sorry I was having some trouble with my headset.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Nine is really good.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Incessant Excess posted:

Just make sure you keep it out of sight of your webcam, otherwise the CIA is gonna steal your identity.

Everyone's names, addresses, phone numbers, SSN and driver's license numbers were just stolen so I'm not sure the CIA really has to try.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Blue Train posted:

I got 82 cents the other day because I googled something and clicked the wikipedia link it returned. I dont even remember what it was, thanks goog

:yeah:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

That seems like a lot of manual management. How do you select 50 episodes? Just scroll and tap a bunch?

Beyondpod allows you to have an episode flagged as listened-to and does this automatically when you finish an episode. It also let's you say I'd like to have 20 episodes from this show starting with the oldest I haven't heard at all times.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The voice app is so-so but the free fake phone number that I can give to realtors or other people I don't ever want to talk to again is invaluable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Toast Museum posted:

Wait, what's the battery saver thing?

I assume it's the weird problem my pixel had today where the battery saver had turned itself on every other time I looked at my phone today.