Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I really like how Telegram lets you push-and-hold a button to record a voice message.

Is there an app that lets you do that, but like, just for yourself? If you wanted to record some audio on the quick for whatever?

Telegram message to yourself. It's also useful to move files between your devices if you also use the desktop client
https://telegram.org/blog/trending-stickers#personal-storage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

48 Hour Boner posted:

I have an extremely specialized and nerdy request: is there an app that can read the sensors and make a notification appear when over a certain threshold, like if the magnitude of acceleration is over a limit? I know there are apps that can read a phone or tablet's sensors, but I'm looking for one that can specifically post a notification message or send an alert or something. If Tasker can do this I'll just go get that!

Tasker only has these in the sensor category:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm not quite sure how Pocket Casts gets its list of podcasts, since it seems to have its own little selection thing, but I've yet to come across a podcast I wanted to listen to that hasn't been on it.

If you have something that's not available in their list, you can just enter any URL into the search box and it'll still add it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Arcanen posted:

Any alternative app stores worth checking out beyond Amazons (which, while having less apps, has a bunch of Google Play paid apps for free)?

F-Droid for open-source stuff.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

smoobles posted:

What's the best SMS app out there?

Ideally:
-imports my old texts including groups
-sends media at high res to others with the app
-encryption/fingerprint access would be cool

No idea about group SMS because I've never needed that, but Signal should be able to do everything else.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

How does Signal send high res media over SMS/MMS?

He asked for:
"sends media at high res to others with the app", or did I parse that sentence wrong?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

smoobles posted:

Signal lets you send higher resolution media to others with Signal? That would work great.
It does.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

vyst posted:

I don't need Google knowing about my masturbation alarms

They know.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

FunOne posted:

What is the current favorite file browser that hasn't added lockscreen ads and malware yet?

Samba shares (Windows 10) & video streaming is the objective.

I'm using Total Commander

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Holy, that interface is fresh out of 2.3.5.

It started out as a Windows 3.1 application in 1993 (as a clone of the even older Norton Commander) and is still actively being developed (or at least updated for each Windows release) .
Looking old probably is a feature this point.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 20, 2018

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Humerus posted:

Looks like I'll be upgrading to the 3a so it's time to ask about authenticators: I use the Google authenticator and I believe there isn't a way to move over to a new phone except to undo them all and redo new ones right? From a security perspective I get it but also....gently caress that's a lot to undo. I know there's apps like Authy and Authenticator Plus that will let you move between phones, is there a way for me to add my current accounts to one of those now (other than wiping the Google one and redoing everything) so when I get my new phone I can just sync it?

Authenticator Plus can import from the Google Authenticator if your phone is rooted. But rooting usually involves wiping your phone in the process...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Yeah, those seem like replies to the other Android thread.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Humerus posted:

Got my Pixel 6 today and I found out Authenticator+ hasn't updated in like 3 years, lol. What's the best alternative with Google Drive support, hopefully that I can import from Authenticator+?

Aegis

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 28, 2021

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Everett False posted:

Any recs for a markdown editor that will sync with dropbox and won't try to charge me a subscription fee for a goddamn text editor? Paid apps or one-time fees are fine.

NeutriNote

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

shame on an IGA posted:

I want to export all of my texts and media from Google Messages to my desktop so I can print a book of them, is there a consensus way to this that probably won't forward them all to eastern europe? I'm entirely open to paid solutions.

It was so easy with Windows Phone I could just download sms.xml from my onedrive backup and all done

try https://takeout.google.com/

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Aaronicon posted:

Best time tracking app? I'd like to track how much time I spend doing certain things (ie, practicing a skill, or wasting time watching Youtube) and having an app that I can just set up bunch of tasks/events (maybe categorised into things like Work, Hobbies, etc) and just be able to slam a start + stop widget for each thing as I'm doing it would be nice. Bonus points if it's something I can share across my phone and desktop to reduce the resistance to using it. I don't mind throwing some Google bucks at it, I stopped answering those surveys a long time ago but I've still got some cash to burn in it.

There's Jiffy, which allows you to start/stop tracking for a specific task by touching an NFC tag.
You don't have to buy their branded ones if you have some others lying around. It does have widgets as well, if you prefer that.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Deeters posted:

For me, AMDroid was perfect for two things:
1) Scheduling alarms with more options than just days of the week
2) making me do a little puzzle before turning off the alarm. I used to turn the alarm off in my sleep.

Sleep as Android has that, and you can just ignore all the sleep tracking stuff if you don't want to use it.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

Is there a way to sync a local folder on a phone with google drive? I'd like to be able to push files onto a remote phone by uploading them to Google Drive on my PC, it seems the Google Drive doesn't natively support this for some reason. Can Syncthing ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nutomic.syncthingandroid ) help out?

Syncthing can sync folders between any devices where you have it installed. Pointing it to the Gdrive folder on your PC should be no problem, but I'm not sure if Android lets other apps write there on the phone.
Syncing it to another folder on the phone will definitely work though.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Are there any other launchers that support folders in the app drawer?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tamba posted:

Are there any other launchers that support folders in the app drawer?

After looking around for a bit, I think I'll give Neo Launcher a try

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Quixzlizx posted:

Anyone have a good up-to-date alarm clock app rec? I used to use Timely, but apparently it's so old and abandoned that it's not officially supported by Android 12.

Sleep as Android

VictualSquid posted:

After a few years of using Solid Exploer it stopped extending my trial period. Does anybody have a recommendation for a free file manager app?

Total Commander

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Seconded, but with the caveat that there's been a lot of feature bloat added around a strong core.

Absolutely, but you can just ignore / turn off all of the features you don't need. That said, I love that it can talk to my Hue lights to slowly turn them on when the alarm goes off

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 29, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beemdevelopment.aegis&gl=US

Aegis has a "tap to reveal" setting

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

codo27 posted:

Can someone suggest some sort of task scheduling app that will allow me to set up a trigger so that when I start my car and connect to android auto (or make that particular bluetooth connection) it will set my media volume to max, and revert to ~50% when I disconnect?

e: found something called Macrodroid which let me set up what I wanted easily enough. Now to test.

Easily doable with Tasker, if Macrodroid doesn't work for you

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Nova Launcher just got its first update since they were acquired by the spyware company two years ago :ohdear:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Is there anything easy that will keep the screen on while certain apps are focused? I don't feel like setting up Tasker. I'm just trying to let Solid Explorer finish transfers without the device sleeping. I installed Caffeine, so I'm fine to just toggle it. It's on my Samsung tablet, but I can't make heads or tails of the modes and it's insane how reading mode isn't in the Modes section. Edit: Oh, Modes and Routines are different? Okay.

Edit: I made a mode for when Solid Explorer is open to make it landscape, but toggling Caffeine just crashes things, which isn't ideal. Routines don't offer the option, either, just a 10 minute screen timeout, which would probably be fine most of the time. Just got annoyed trying to move files from internal to an SD card yesterday.

Does Solid Explorer really stop transfers if the screen is off? :psyduck:

You could try Total Commander instead, that one definitely transfers stuff in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Echophonic posted:

It throws up a notification if you close the app, so you'd think it would work, but it seems like something's killing them.

Try this, there might be a way to tell your phone to stop killing that app
https://dontkillmyapp.com/