Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just checked my phone, and I now have Location Sharing, but I seem to have lost the compass icon in top right corner. Any idea how to restore it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I did not update G+, or any app, but still got the Location Sharing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The compass now appears to auto hide if the map is oriented Top/North. If you rotate, it appears.

That didn't work for me. If I turned my phone sideways, the map changed orientation, but no compass. If I set my phone down, and turned it left or right, the blue dot showed the orientation was changing, but still no compas.

I guess this is what I get for not updating G+ and/or rebooting.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

He means changing the orientation of the map, not the phone. In other words, use two fingers on the map and twist.

Oh. That worked. Now I feel sheepish. Thanks!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Weather Live is currently free. I used to use this app back when I was on iOS, so I'm glad to have it on Android.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

John Lee posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for an app that plays local music? The OP listed a few, but it didn't have much to say about them, and I was hoping somebody would be knowledgeable enough to be able to say "Oh yeah, this one's great compared to most of the crap out there, I use it all the time." Or is local music playing something nobody gives a poo poo about anymore?

I don't stream. I tried a few different music players, and ended up going with PowerAmp. Every other app I tried just ignored the ID3 stuff, and put whatever it wanted. PowerAmp not only respects what's there, but also allows me to edit it, and keeps the changes I made.

Also: They're working on a brand new version of PowerAmp. It won't be an upgrade, but a new app. That's all the info we have right now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

Semi-related question: I just got my first new phone since Jelly Bean, and I'm looking for the best free way to skip to the next track without looking at the screen. The stock Music app has a pretty cool "next track on shake" feature, but it doesn't seem to work with Play Music, which I like a lot more.

My earbuds let me press the mic button once to pause, twice to jump to the next track, and three times to go back to the previous track. It works fine for me, since I have PowerAmp set to always shuffle my music.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

IAmKale posted:

Is there a lockscreen widget I can set up to show upcoming Google Now reminders? I'd like to keep a todo-list available at a glance so I can quickly see what all I have to do today. If no such thing exists for Google Now reminders, then I'd settle for a standalone solution even if it means going in and manually setting up todo's.

I asked for something similar a few years back, and was directed to NiLS. It's free, it's simple, and it works. There is an IAP to upgrade to Pro, but all that unlocks is some cosmetic options. Also, the dev was responsive when I contacted him with an issue, and he managed to fix it fairly quickly.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

FWIW, I like the app I just mentioned (Hiya) more than TrueCaller, so maybe give that a try. Hiya seems to be better at blocking and identifying for me.

Looking at the reviews on the Play Store page, and it looks like the latest version isn't very well received...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Better not let them see the EarthLink logo...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Someone modified the Pixel Lanucher to work on any phone, no root or mods required.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Tweetings is currently on sale for $0.99.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

VPN Hosts (No Root) is currently free, and apparently, you can use it to block ads system-wide.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Play listing says it contains ads. How much is the IAP to remove them?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I like Weather Live. I used it on iOS, so I was happy to see it come to Android.

Comedy option: What The Forecast.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: Tasker is on sale for $0.99 :siren:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Montalvo posted:

I fired up the Play Store app last night and the first advertising card I saw at the top of the page was for a free $1 Play Store credit gift. It expires some time in September. Not sure where all it's available, but take a look at your apps. I haven't received a Rewards survey in months, so it was a pleasant little surprise.

This is the second time they've done this. Only certain accounts qualify (Google's not telling what the qualifiers are). Anyone can see if they do via this link.

Interestingly, when this showed up on Android Police on the 8th, I didn't qualify. Now, I do. So, if you tried before and didn't qualify, try again!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:siren: All For Web Is Live :siren:

https://allo.google.com/web

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

All I know is that Fenix 2 put out an update today that supports the new 280 character limit. I don't know if he's using a workaround, though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Unbelievably White posted:

I appreciate the rec, but do you know what's up with the people complaining about connection issues in the reviews? Kinda scared me off of it.

I've been using PowerAmp for longer than I can remember now, and I don't have any connection issues. I mostly use it on my 2 hour bus ride home from work, where there is no WiFi, and I have Data turned off. It plays just fine for me.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just switched from LG to Samsung. Does Samsung not have any kind of Notes app? I loved the one my LG had. It just showed a list of notes, with the most recent on top, and tapping one showed me the contents. I could swipe left or right to go to newer/older notes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I tried Keep, and it doesn't work for what I want to do with it. I use it to store notes for work related stuff. It's senstive stuff, so I don't want it available to any device that can access Keep, just my phone.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I found the Samsung Notes app not long after posting, and it seems to do what I need. What makes you guys say it's not very good?

Uthor posted:

I'm assuming you have a Microsoft work account and can use OneNote.

Hahahaha! Nope! It was only in the last year that they dropped IE 5 in favor of Chrome. :shepicide:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Finally grabbed Nova Prime. I missed being able to double tap to turn off my screen. Now if I could just get 1) Double tap to wake without root, and 2) A weather widget for my lock screen, I'd be set.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Is it possible to buy an app using my credit card and not my Google Play Credit? Or do I HAVE to spend my Play Credit first?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Blue Train posted:

Tap the arrow next to google play balance

Thanks. As soon as I read that, I remembered that I've done it before.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Hello, friends!

Do you take too many pictures on your cellular phone? Do you long for the days of disposable cameras?

Well, you're in luck! For just $0.99, you can download Gudak Cam!

Load up the application, and you'll get a roll of film that has 24 exposures. Once you've shot all 24 photographs, you'll have to wait an hour before you can load a new roll of film (don't want to get a tummy ache or a cramp by reloading too fast, right?).

As an added bonus, you'll have to get your 24 photographs developed. This takes 3 days. Once the 3 days have passed, you'll be able to see your photographs!

Don't wait! Order now! Operators are standing by!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I've been using SwiftKey since it was in Beta, and I've not had any real issues with it. :shrug:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Swype Keyboard is dead. Long live SwiftKey!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Last I heard, ES File Explorer had become adware. Is that no longer the case?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

MuPDF is a lightweight interface for a snappy PDF rendering engine. Does just enough to let you open a PDF on your phone without wanting to kill yourself.

Is this still the go to PDF reader, or is there a better option?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Turns out my phone came with a nice little PDF reader. I had no idea. But thanks!

Also, Flamingo is Twitter's latest victim.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

LastInLine posted:

I don't know the answer to your question but assuming you're using Google Calendar you can simply request a notification when you create an event to give that notification whenever you want from time beforehand to simply a notification at a specific time. When you create an event for a day that's clear, set it for the time you'd like to receive a notification then on subsequent events for that day don't ask for an event.

I use Google Calendar for my work schedue, and it's poo poo for giving notifications the day before. It's been months since it worked right.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Just a heads up that Google Voice integration with Sprint will end on June 1st.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Google has killed Allo. Meet the new replacement... Messages?!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

To add to this, Sprint will soon cease to exist.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Google Opinion Rewards now allows you to delete and recreate your account.

It seems you keep any credit you've earned. There's currently no info if this will start giving surveys to people who stopped getting them because :google:, but it's worth a shot, right?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pictures of receipts wtf??? Never had that here nor heard of anyone else with the app getting that. loving Google.

I get it quite often. Especially after going to Walmart. Thing is, by the time I get it, I've already thrown my receipt away, so I always say no. I never think to hold on to it in case I get another one.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

You two are in the US? Google does sooo many geographic restrictions for their services :(

Correct. I'm in the US. I always forget about the non-US restrictions on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Since 11/8/13, I've earned $124.