Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

VelociBacon posted:

It does this even if you're already logged in?

Oh I'm not logged in. I used to use Twitter via Flamingo, but once ol Muskrat killed 3rd party access to the API, I pretty much stopped using it at all. If I do use it, it's from my desktop.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Isn't it just Twitter trying to get you to log in?

In any case I use UntrackMe to redirect requests for Twitter to Nitter, which improves the experience.

I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

MikeJF posted:

Google takes over half the screen? Not the Twitter app?

You can deregister apps as link handlers, by going to the app's info in settings and changing 'open by default'.

I don't have the Twitter app installed. And I guess it's not half the screen, but it sure feels like it. Doubly so when it pops up at the exact instant I tap to dismiss Twitter's prompt to log in, it covers it up, and the big ol' Continue button happens to be right where I'm tapping:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

My wife and I have a shared note in Google Keep for various reminders and such, but it seems that Keep doesn't send a notification when said note is updated.

Is there a setting I'm missing, or should we use another app (and if so, which one)?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

I use Fritter to handle Twitter links without needing an account, as it doesn't have the slowness / unreliability of Nitter frontends. It's gonna occasionally break when the APIs change, though.

Been using this for a little bit, now, and it's really nice.

Does anyone know if there's anything like it for Instagram?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

I have no idea, all the due diligence I did was searching for it on the play store and it not showing up for me. I don't see anything on the github landing page that would explain it either.

Even a quick Google search only turns up people asking why it was removed.

Anyway, it's still available on F-Droid, so at least there's that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah, I use Textra, too. The only group thing I've ever done was me and 2 other people, and it worked fine for that.

I won't touch WhatsApp, because it's owned by Facebook. If they want my info, they'll have to get it like everyone else: Buy it from Google.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

Is there anyway to have a rotating album of images as a lock screen, independent from the wallpaper?

It seems the only way to keep it separate/different from the live wallpaper is to use a single static image. (OnePlus 9P)

My tablet has a feature called Magazine Unlock, and it lets me pick any images on my device to use as the lock screen wallpaper. It changes every time you turn the screen on.

Unfortunately, it seems to be part of the custom version of EMUI it uses, because I can't find it as a stand alone app. I've been looking for something similar for the last few years, and so far, no luck.

If you so find something, please share it. I'll do the same if I find anything.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

doctorfrog posted:

Google search, bad?

Google, Search Bad!™

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It's gotten to the point where I have disabled auto updates, and just check manually a minimum of once a day.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just use ADB to remove or disable apps you can't uninstall, like G-Mail, YouTube, ARMoji stuff, Bixby, etc.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

docbeard posted:

They got bought by some data mining company but I'm not sure it actually affected the software. The bigger issue is that there's not much development happening any more from what I can see

There is development happening, by the original developer, but it's just him. And if you want any of it, you have to use the beta version of Nova 8.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

teethgrinder posted:

I even got another row of launcher icons to use as the built in weather widget is half the height of the one I had been using.

Speaking of, what's everyone using for weather widgets these days?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

I mostly want to scream that I can't make my phone screen not light up when the POS Samsung texting app gets a text. Or if you can it's buried as hell.

Looking at the app settings, under Notifications, I have 3 options: Lock Screen, Badge, and Pop-Up. Maybe only selecting Badge will stop the screen from turning on?

I use Textra, so I can't say for certain if it'll work…

H110Hawk posted:

More than anything I believe whatsapp is the worst offender overall.

Well, it's owned by Facebook, so that's a given.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

For music, I still use PowerAmp.

I don't do webcasts, so no recommendations there.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So Google Music Player isn't a thing anymore. I can only use Youtube Music and it takes ages to load the next song, like a good 30 seconds sometimes, rarely does it play a song within 5 seconds, and never immediately. I don't know if it's my phone (Jelly Star), which has been running everything like a dream otherwise. I only added 465 songs to be used as a biking/driving playlist. It's not a small amount but it's also not enormous.

All I need is an app that plays the songs I downloaded onto my phone in shuffle on a bluetooth speaker. I looked into Poweramp but as of Aug 23, it doesn't seem to automatically play songs while using bluetooth according to a review. I'll pay if I have to but I'm very reluctant to do so for what seems like a very simple expectation. I'd be pretty annoyed if I got a player that sticks ads into my own songs. Were it streaming fine but that's not the case.

I use PowerAmp, and I can stream it to a bluetooth speaker on shuffle. It's no different than using my bluetooth earbuds, and shuffle works fine there, too. I did buy it, though, so maybe it's not available in the free version?

Edit

sirbeefalot posted:

Not sure if by "automatically play songs while using bluetooth" you mean just proceed on to the next track when one ends, or if you're looking for totally hands-off starting of music when you connect to the speaker.

Oh, if you're talking about this, I have no idea if any app can just start playing music the instant it connects to bluetooth.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Samsung has put Good Lock on the Play Store, as an Early Access app.

It lists the Target as Android O, P OS 8.0 SAMSUNG Devices

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Resdfru posted:

Weird, what's the reason for moving that into the play store?

As far as I can tell, Samsung hasn't said. They just quietly put it there, and a couple of people found it, then tweeted about it, and the various Android news sites are letting everyone know.

They're all also making a point that it's in Early Access, and that the only module available right now is One Handed Operation+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I just want a way to stream SiriusXM on my PC that isn't their crappy website, since it ignores my keyboard media keys. Can't find a desktop app to do it. Can't find a phone app to do it. Open your API, cowards! :argh: