Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

All security is a matter of tradeoffs...particularly the tradeoff of convenience vs security and AFAIK there is not a non-cloud-based password manager that is as convenient as LastPass.

This is true. I had a subscription to LastPass for a number of years, before they got sold, but got tired of the changes (browser bookmark harvesting, etc), and moved to using various builds of KeePass as a standalone (non-cloud) db that resides across my machines, sync'd to the master on my laptop occasionally.

The android client isn't very fancy, but it has worked reliably, is compatible with the various db formats and encryption types. Apps can be found that run on win/osx/android/linux/iOS and has been problem free, and free.

KeePassDroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

hooah posted:

There's an emulator for TI 89/92 calculators. You need to get the actual ROM, but it works just like the physical thing if that's your boat.

Droid48 is a pretty good emulator for old HP48 series calculators; apparently some people have problems on 5.x with it, but its fine on my nexus 6, on 6.x

(Insert arguments about stacks, RPN, and HP vs TI here!)

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

kri kri posted:

I am looking for an app that will read PDF files back to me in my car. Go.

I like moonreader pro; its pretty focussed on reading books, not a generic screen reader. It has a decent book manager view, and can sync reading positions via gdrive/dropbox which is handy if you use multiple devices.

If you use calibre to manage your library on your desktop, calibre companion works well with the above setup.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Squish posted:

Aren't you the last bit uncomfortable about your personal information and conversations being stored and kept by companies, probably indefinitely, without any scrutiny or oversight? I get that phone companies are hardly any better than google but at least there are tighter regulations in place for telcos than others. The best way to prevent abuse is to not let them get that data in the first place. The tinfoil hat takes care of the rest.

That was funny though. :)

Odd, because it seems that generally apps are able to access that information. What's to stop them reading the sms info on one hand and sending it via WiFi etc independently? I mean that sms backup app saves the whole shebang as an xml file.

As usual the tinfoil hat is on the clueless; knowing just enough to be irrationally worried. App permissions (configurable under android 6+) allows some amount of control to things like contacts, wifi, and the filesystem. Not installing poo poo randomly, and ignoring app permissions is beyond most people tho.

Telcos will hand your sms over way more easily that google will give out your drive sms backup contents. Actually, getting access to your personal computer with your backed up sms's is way more likely/easy than either of the above scenarios.

If your job, or your life actually required you to maintain a high level of security you should know more; I would suggest googling for answers regarding android and privacy, but only once disguised and at a library in a major urban center not your own!

Also, no one cares about your poo poo and anyone who regards the general privacy of consumer level network communication to be above that of a postcard has been fooling themselves since the 90's.

I should add that I've been using the previously mentioned SMS Backup to archive stuff between phone reinstalls; you know you can just connect your phone to your computer and transfer the files there instead of "to the cloud"?

tldr; don't sent dick pics around as postcards.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 21, 2016

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

torgeaux posted:

I need an odometer app. But, I'm looking for one that is a running odometer, not session to session. Changed tire size, and until I can get the dealer to update, I want an accurate count.

If you're thinking a gps based odometer, you're probably not going to be more accurate than your slightly wrong one you have, outside of very long drives. If you have an obd2 adapter you could use an app like torque to calculate it.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Any decent snes emulators out there?

SNES9x EX+ by Robert Broglia is pretty good. I mean, its a gpl'd emulator, with his front end, and a few tweaks, and it runs accurately and very well on pretty old hardware (nexus 7).

Was stoked to find that the sixaxis app got updated to work on 6.0 and i can play (wirelessly) with a ps3 controller again, woo!

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

What sixasis app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller

A little kludgy as you either need to pair the controller with a pc (and some free software), or have an OTG cable. Only needs to be done once for each controller.

Also, you need to have a rooted device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Materialistic - HN Reader is a pretty good app and the source is available @ https://github.com/hidroh/materialistic