Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I upgraded from KitKat to Marshmallow and the one thing I really can't stand is the new, Rolodex-like app switcher. Is there a way to actually change it to something flatter? The various app switcher apps on the store seem to just run in the background next to the regular app switcher.

Also, can anyone recommend an app to make the phone act as a PC microphone and/or webcam over Bluetooth (or wi-fi I guess)? The ones I tried had terrible quality and latency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Out of curiosity, what benefits do you guys get from being able to answer SMS messages from the desktop? Presumably your phone is right there in your pocket anyway. Is it just to be able to use a physical keyboard?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Is there a way to have my phone automatically switch profiles (toggle off sound, wifi, bluetooth) on the basis of on my current location, without giving my home address to anybody who doesn't already know it? In other words, using only apps that are either made by Google or open source?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Any recommendations for a voice recording app? Like one to leave on in the background 24/7.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

What does it offer over BlackPlayer? Because BlackPlayer owns.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Guillermus posted:

So, I've been using Nova Launcher prime for years, sometimes switching to Smart Launcher. What's a good alternative that isn't a nova clone? I'm kind of bored of my interface and I'd like to try something else.

I'm a Lightning Launcher aficionado. I used it with my old Moto G first gen for performance reasons, but it can be a rabbit hole of customization and scripting if you want it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Zil posted:

I more meant like severe alerts. Used to love Wunderground but their changes got me to stop using it. Using the weather channel app now, but hate all the ads and tracking.

I've moved to LineageOS and try to use FOSS apps as much as possible nowadays (:rms2:) and for weather checking, Geometric Weather (Google store link) beats all the commercial / ad-ridden apps I had before. AccuWeather data so it's pretty good on that front as well.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

VictualSquid posted:

I just tried this app. It's there a way to get it to function with a manually input location. The GPS is broken on my old tablet.
e: I found it. You have to click the help button that appears for 1 second with error message every few minutes. And I found an input field that is well camouflaged, and I could have sworn that wasn't there before.

???

From the main screen, at the top right you have a gear icon for settings and a city icon for location. Click the latter and you have a full-screen location list, you can add manual locations to the list or pick 'Use your current location'.

Maybe it's a different UI on tablets :confused:

e:

It's the icon just below the network signals in the status bar:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 16, 2021

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

A MINIATURE LLAMA posted:

What to-do app is recommended? Currently using Todoist but I didn't know if there was something better (on a free tier) out there.

I picked it primarily because it was open source and could sync to Nextcloud, but Tasks.org checked everything on my list, if you'll forgive the pun.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Jeez, trying to find a simple app for something that the phone should do built in but doesn't on android is a nightmare of wading through 'recommendation' pages for adware-filled-data-harvesting microtransaction-blocked-basic-features crap.

F-Droid is your friend here.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Humerus posted:

Gee I thought Aegis was fine but I guess it would be better if my 2fa app was destroying the planet

Aegis doesn't even have internet access, so it can't get any more decentralized than that.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

1st Stage Midboss posted:

What's a good PDF reader these days? I've always used Foxit's app since I used their Windows PDF program, but they changed the app to make editing features more intrusive and not show the very top and bottom of pages, so now that I've bought a new tablet it feels like time to change.

ReadEra or Librera. Get the latter from F-Droid for ad-free version (no internet permission).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If you want a Chromium-based browser without spyware try Bromite. You'll need to install F-Droid and add the Bromite repository, but that should take you a few minutes at most.

On F-Droid you can also find Fennec, which is Firefox without the Mozilla telemetry (it's what I use - the addons are better on Firefox-based browsers).

If that's too much trouble, Brave is probably still better than Chrome. While crypto bullshit is cringe, I do actually believe that the Brave guys are honestly trying to create an ethical, privacy-respecting ad economy. Unfortunately for them I want the entire concept of an ad economy to burn in Hell, so that's gonna be a no from me.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Feb 7, 2022

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

flatluigi posted:

if you think crypto is ethical you really need to look into it past it being ""cringe""

There's a giant GBS thread if you want to delve deeper, yeah.

OP asked if Brave is still considered an OK browser. The short answer is: there are better options, but Brave is still OK. If he's happy with it, he doesn't need to switch.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

There are more bookmark sync services out there than you can shake an extremely large stick at.

I use Joplin on all my devices for all my links, notes, and random media. It has browser extensions as well as native apps, and you can self-host it or use the cloud version. Kinda ugly but very functional.

If you specifically want to have Google handle your poo poo via Sign In With Google ®, then just install Chrome.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I heard that you can't log in with your Google account to NewPipe. Is that true? I like having my history, ability to comment, etc.

Correct, it's a privacy-oriented app so no login.

Personally I just use the mobile browser when I want to actually log in to a social media site.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

I use Fritter to handle Twitter links without needing an account, as it doesn't have the slowness / unreliability of Nitter frontends. It's gonna occasionally break when the APIs change, though.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dango Bango posted:

Is there a text messaging app that everyone prefers? I've always just used the stock Samsung app, but some of the group chat limitations have become really annoying (e.g. not being able to rename group chats)

If you donīt give a poo poo about privacy, Telegram is IMO the nicest and most featureful messaging app out there.

If you care about privacy, SimpleX Chat is probably the best that exists right now.

If you kinda care about privacy but still want to talk to people using phone numbers, go with Signal.

The self-hosting thread has a bunch of people running Jellyfin, too:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3985071

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

I'll be taking a trip soon for which I bought various tickets (plane, train, events). Is there an app that lets me add the various pdfs? I thought Google Wallet might but it seems fairly limited and doesn't let you add just any pdf or screenshot.

KDE Itinerary is made exactly for this purpose.

Nowadays they only release on F-Droid, but if you donīt have that, there is an older version on the Play Store that I imagine still works fine (since it's an offline app).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

How many phones have an IR blaster anymore? I think the last one I had was an LG Volt from like 10 years ago.

My Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro (2020) had one, I didn't own a TV but I used it to control the AC.

Looks like the Poco F5 model for 2023 still has it - I would probably be rocking one if they had kept the pop-up selfie camera.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

sirbeefalot posted:

Am I going to need to have a sub now to listen to podcasts? YouTube Music doesn't play in the background, with the screen off, or through Android Auto without a paid sub. Fuckin' Googled again.

Install InnerTune.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

smoobles posted:

Is there an app that lets you pause apps, the way Pixel does? I assumed it was a stock Android feature but the Zenfone doesn't have it! Sad!

Don't you have a "Disable" button in the app info page? It should be an AOSP feature.

Otherwise, I suppose you can install Insular to do it. By default it can only freeze/unfreeze the apps in the work profile, but there's an in-app guide to let it manage regular apps too (it involves running a few adb commands though).

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

If that issue happens again, and you don't want to uninstall the offending app, consider sticking it into the work profile. The text select injection can't cross that barrier.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Just refuse to grant the contacts permission to the app when asked. You'll still be able to add people manually via phone number or whatever the app uses.

I'm positive this can be done with Whatsapp, because it's what I've done. I'm 90% sure it will work with Signal as well.

If you have an app that refuses to run without contact permission and you absolutely want to use it: install Insular and put the app in the work profile, and only put the contacts you want to share with the app in your work profile contact list.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Deviant posted:

Is there an app that will list a checklist of daily tasks in my notification area? Something like

() Wake up
() Take poo poo
() Eat breakfast

Etc etc. That I can click off as I accomplish? I feel like that's a good spot to remind myself as I compulsively clear out those icons.

(My "I took my meds today" shirt is getting a lot of questions that are answered by the shirt)

Loop Habit Tracker, or any other habit tracker - it's one of the most common type of app for new developers to build, alongside task lists and note takers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Deviant posted:

Loop does not do the thing I asked for, in that i can't interact with it from my notification pull down. If I have to remember to go open an app, it's not going to work, and timed pushes don't fit the paradigm i want because these tasks aren't time sensitive. What I want is that if i have a task to 'Take Meds', it just sits in the notification drawer until I acknowledge that I've done it.

Edit: Tasks.org appears to do what i want.

Tasks.org can definitely do that too, but for the record, I use Loop and can confirm it does do what you want, you just need to enable the "reminder" option. If it's not time sensitive, just leave 00:00 as the notification time and click it whenever.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 8, 2024