Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been using Today Weather, it's pretty and works great:

Thanks for this, I just installed and so far I'm happy (after throwing surveybucks at it).

Does have Dark Sky available as a data source too, I guess until the API dies next year. (If I remember right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Edit: and it doesn't seem to be able to show the temp in the notification bar at the top? App looked good at first but the more I use it since installing it the more confused I get.

You can turn the persistent notification on in settings, under "Notification".

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sab669 posted:

Ah, I did not notice the gear icon hidden away behind the side menu

Yeah, that's not a great bit of UI design.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

incogneato posted:

What is the current podcast app of choice these days? I've just used GPM, but apparently I'll need to find something else with that shutting down.

I don't actually need many features. I'd really just like simplicity and easy of use. I don't queue up multiple episodes and I don't download in advance. As long as it shows what episodes I've already listened to and what the most recent ones are in a clean interface, it should work.

I don't mind spending GoogleBux on it if need be.

PocketCasts and Podcast Addict seem to be the best two I'm aware of. My personal pref these days is Podcast Addict after some interface changes that PocketCasts made that didn't agree with me, but it's really down to personal preference, they're both solid pieces of software.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

LastInLine posted:

The new interface is fine now. It's feature- complete and the ability to distinguish listened from archived makes it worth the change alone.

I will admit they should've waited a bit before taking the new interface out of beta but all the complaints have since been addressed.

Yeah, I'd heard this, I just can't be bothered to switch back. I'm sure PA will do something to piss me off sooner or later and then the dance will continue.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shofixti posted:

OP seems a bit out of date now. Any recommended podcast apps? Only specific requirement is that I can add a podcast by custom RSS link for those that I pay for (maybe they all do this I don’t even know).

Pocketcasts and Podcast Addict still seem to be the two main go-tos that I'm aware of. I use PA right now but I've used both and like both (and both allow for custom RSS links, I believe, I know for sure PA does).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

What's the simplest way (is there a simple way?) to forward a text chain to an email address? I can see how to forward individual messages but not an entire chain. Using the standard Messages app.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Oh good they bought Sesame Shortcuts too.

Eh, we'll see how horrible it ends up being. It's not like eleven trillion companies don't already have their hooks in everything I do on my pocket computer.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

effika posted:

I got back in to podcasts now that I have Pixel Buds with my Pixel 7. I am using BeyondPod and the audio keeps dipping out for half a second, randomly l, like it was pausing for a notification sound or something.

I can't figure out what search phrase to use to get help. Alternatively, what podcast app should I be using that doesn't cut out constantly like this?

EDIT: I think BeyondPod is dead now? I found AntennaPod and it does not have this problem at all. Seems to work just fine with Android 13 on a Pixel 7. Problem solved!

I get the same problem using Podcast Addict on a Pixel 3aXL and the recommended solution (to remove it from the phone's battery optimization) has never worked. I'm probably gonna get a new phone soon anyway so I probably won't bother setting something new up til then. I'll keep AntennaPod in mind.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Medullah posted:

I have a long audiobook that is unfortunately just one audio file. What app do you guys use that can track progress on books?

Listen Audio has been good to me in the past, though I haven't used it in ages.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Are Fleksy/Swype/Swiftkey/Minuum still the major choices for keyboards? Swiftkey has been Bad lately so I'm shopping around

Also curious if there any new players on the keyboard scene. I'm starting to lose patience with SwiftKey and I don't really like Gboard (though that might just be not being used to it).

Unrelated, is Unified Remote still the best for controlling a PC through my phone? (I don't need anything fancy, just to be able to launch and control a streaming video web page or something)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Didn't you recently upgrade to a newer Pixel? I'd suggest giving Gboard another try - I had been using SwiftKey on my Motorola as my swiping keyboard of choice, but the tighter integration of the Pixel AI and Gboard has made it the better experience for me on my Pixel 6. The predictive typing is way better, and it screws up way less often for me.

About remote controls, I'm not familiar with Unified Remote, but KDE Connect serves that purpose for me. It's cross-platform, and on Windows is available in the Windows Store.

I tried it the other day and it bugged me but it's probably just down to little differences I can get used to, so I will probably give it another chance.

I'll look into KDE Connect, thank you. I used Unified Remote years ago and it worked reasonably well but that was a couple of phones and computers ago and I have no idea of the state of it today.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, my main issue with SwiftKey is that it gives me nonsense suggestions and is very aggressive with additional features I don't need or want. I'm slowly getting used to GBoard and it's...yeah, it's fine.

Unrelated, I'm seeing really poor performance of the new Steam Chat app on my P7 Pro, which I was not seeing on my 3aXL. Not sure if there's anything to be done, though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

crepeface posted:

how do you turn off google search opening results in their special chrome viewer thing? I want to open it in my regular browser that blocks video ads when I'm just trying to look up a goddamn recipe

I wish I knew but at least there's an option in the upper right menu to reopen those pages in a different browser (Vivaldi in my case). You might have to set it up as your default browser first, I no longer recall.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I pretty much just use Google Keep for shopping lists. Cloud based but very simple and straightforward and Google appears to have forgotten it exists so they might not gently caress it up for no reason later on.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Johnny Truant posted:

Anybody else's YouTube stop being able to play while closed (I pay for yt premium or whatever), and stop having any controls in the pulldown screen or on their lock screen?

I just updated my phone (Galaxy S22) this morning and my YouTube is hosed now, legit going to cancel it if I can't figure this out in a day or two

Haven't noticed anything similar on mine (Pixel 7P, part of the NO JANUARY UPDATE FOR YOU group, also pay for YT premium).

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I checked and got the Play Store update on my Pixel 6, and it actually shows a January build date, which I guess some phones haven't been doing.

Yeah, there are some kind of shenanigans with the January update that seems to affect T-Mobile (and Google Fi, which uses T-Mobile's network) customers in particular.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I tend to swap back and forth between Pocket Casts and Podcast Addict every few years when one of them annoys me. I'm currently in the PA phase of this cycle but they're both great.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They got bought by some data mining company but I'm not sure it actually affected the software. The bigger issue is that there's not much development happening any more from what I can see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

They haven't even added a chat feature to it yet so it's probably safe for a while yet.