Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just installed Tasker and find that some of the good stuff requires root and/or the purchase of hacky companion apps that may or may not simulate user input. Mainly switching data on and off seemed interesting and is mentioned in a lot of examples online and is apparently a thing Google in particular doesn't want you to be able to do through a third party app at all. Turning the phone off is another one.

A bit miffed. But for a buck I'll keep it for the novelty of having it say "welcome home" when I get in WiFi range or whatever. I'll probably find something useful for it to do with what's possible later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

In Piktures, when I view an image stored in the cloud (OneDrive in my case) it refuses to display it at full res, even when I'm on wifi, which is absolutely aggravating. Is there an option to change that, and if not is there another app that will (and also lets me use OneDrive)?
I don't specifically know about the full res thing, but obviously you could give the Onedrive app a shot. QuickPic also allows you to browse your pictures there. I'd try that first, as a matter of fact. It's a decent picture viewer in general.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

I wanted to use Macrodroid so when I turn youtube on it checks for wifi, because it's not the first time I see a couple of videos only to notice the wifi is turned off, but when giving it permissions I get this message "if you turn on macrodroid your device wont use your screen lock to enhance data encryption" what exactly is the consequence of turning it on?
Apparently, it will change your encryption password to the Android default one, allowing everyone to decrypt the "encrypted" data. The PIN you enter at powering on your device may not be used for encryption at all.

I had no idea myself, and may be affected through a permission I granted a Tasker plugin. That's really a poorly worded warning.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Microsoft's Translator app as well.

The major caveat is that it only works in real time for a select few languages and directions. (ie spanish to english) This is true for google's app just as much.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Unbelievably White posted:

Downloaded it and it had the folder option available straight away. Tracks were listed in the wrong order but I could make a playlist to enforce that. Thanks!
There's a sort order thingy in the three dot menu when you're on that screen.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You could install another navigation app like Here.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I made Firefox with uBlock origin the default Youtube link handler on my phone. It's adequate for my occasional use.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

QuickPic's built-in editor wouldn't be bad for that. It even presents itself as 'edit in edit' in Google photos as well, so it shouldn't matter too much which one is the default picture viewer when you tap the 'you've made a screenshot' notification.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

spincube posted:

It seems to store a list of every thing I've ever marked as 'not interested' just in case I ever change my mind, but doesn't let me do anything with it other than say 'no actually in fact i am interested in thing', and not add things to the list myself because gently caress you our business model is mailing turds now.
The best thing is when it allows you to mark the website as of no interest, but not the topic/category. Which is most of the time for me.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I strongly prefer Speed Software Explorer for being ad free, free and not being a goddamn useless feature bomb. Works fine with Windows shares.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Can't complain about updates changing things when you get no updates!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I don't even remember what my initial gripe was with the Photos app, but I've been using QuickPic for a while now and it is good.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Ola posted:

(trying new image host, might suck)
It totally does!

Here's the actual image:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Uthor posted:

How do I stop getting a dot on my Maps icon? I turned off notification dots in the notification settings, but it's still popping up.

I wonder if it's because I am using Nova.

I hate having the persistent dot because my phone is always telling me local traffic updates.
Notification dots are not a stock Android thing, so that's probably your launcher, yeah.

Maps has some 'get commute notifications' setting under commute settings that you can turn off though. There's a whole notifications subsection under settings as well, as a matter of fact.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

bull3964 posted:

Yes, they are.

Guess I've got some catching up to do then.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

That won't sync it, but it still displays on my phone. That's why I was thinking about moving it to a folder and adding the .nomedia file, so its hidden locally as well.
Quickpic has both a hide and an exclude function for folders, one of which does the nomedia thing, the other just blocks it from showing inside the Quickpic app itself, which might suffice, depending on your wants. It's a good pic viewing app in general.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Fart of Presto posted:

Quickpic was bought by Cheetah Mobile a couple of years ago and instantly started sending user data to their own servers.

Cheetah are also accused of ad fraud and got a couple of apps removed by Google in December 2018.
https://www.xda-developers.com/cheetah-mobile-ad-fraud-android-apps/ (lol XDA)

The current version of Quickpic might not be affected by the recent fuckery by Cheetah, but definitely something users should be aware of.
I withdraw my recommendation then and I guess I'm in the market for something else myself.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm looking for a 1x1 widget counting down days until a configurable date. It doesn't have to do anything else. I can spend a couple of bucks on it if I have to.

Does anyone have a recommendation for something simple that they like?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I used an app called Motion Detect that would take pictures when anything in the frame changed. Then Folder Sync to push them to my nas periodically. Don't know what the status of those apps is these days.

Anyway, I think you probably don't need full and continuous video for the task, really.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Speed software Explorer is free and fine as far as I'm concerned.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Your brain is just a/b testing.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Ventusky is ok and has a free layer called radar. I don't know anything about that being real or not.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

hooah posted:

Suddenly, this morning, Android Auto isn't projecting (wired) to my aftermarket head unit. The phone says it's charging and I can play audio over Bluetooth, but the unit just isn't detecting that Android Auto is running. Everything worked fine on Saturday. I'm going to try clearing cache and/or data on Android Auto, but does anyone have any other troubleshooting ideas?
Cable doesn't make contact properly on all necessary points?

Like clean out the charger port on the phone or whatever

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Vanagoon posted:

Not Android, it ran Samsung Bada 1.0 - it came bundled with a few apps and I could never work out how to add more, if it was even possible to do so.
The apps were java 2 micro edition (j2me) and came in jar and jad files and you could just copy them to the phone from your computer and install them by running them from the file manager. There was no app store. I think the general idea at the time was you'd buy them like you'd buy ringtones, ie. you'd call or sms a code from a list and they'd send you the file. One lovely thing about it was that every app needed to be taylored to every specific phone model, what with wildly varying screen resolutions and ratios and the presence (or not) of a directional keypad or equivalent. You could download megablob torrents of hundreds of random apps. There usually wasn't any copy protection, just the general inaccessibility of the phone's innards at the time. Remember paying $30 for a data cable for your phone and downloading a software suite to backup your sms and phone book into some propietary file format? Those were the days.

e: though this was one of the obsolete tech threads

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Anyone using NewPipe can confirm video playback just plain doesn't work at the moment? I'm dreading this being a 'me' problem.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

HelixFox posted:

I'm getting this too.

Max Peck posted:

There's a fix for this in version 0.18.2, but it's only on GitHub for the moment; it hasn't been updated on F-Droid yet. Do note that if you have it installed via F-Droid, Android won't allow you to upgrade using the GitHub version; if you don't want to wait, remember to export your settings using Settings > Content > Export Database before uninstalling and reinstalling.
Thanks both! I can probably wait for the fix to be pushed out to f-droid.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Gboard works perfectly swiping, all you've got to do is turn the autocorrect off.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Does it have to be wireless? Because I seem to remember desktop MM being pretty good with syncing with plugged in devices. Haven't done that myself in a while though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Uthor posted:

Wireless syncing is fine. It's just like 5-6 steps* to get to the part where you select what you want to sync. I expect doing it over USB is the same method, with the addition of plugging it in.
No, what I'm suggesting is you ignore or even uninstall the phone app and do the selecting music and initiating of the sync from your pc, where interface and input devices make things less of a hassle.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yeah I like lawnchair. Just wanted more rows and columns of icons and it does that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

AntennaPod can either include or exclude based on keywords. Per feed setting.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Okay after looking at Adguard DNS again there were some other reasons I guess - namely you can't do it for LTE (without the app?) and it had to be set per AP (again might be solved by the app).
It's my understanding that in android 9 and higher you can at least set a dns for wifi as a whole instead of per access point. For some reason this is not reflected in the instructions on the adguard website.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Not just for wifi either, it works on LTE.
Ah well, so much the better.

On the other hand, chrome might now bypass it anyway? You can set the async dns flag to disabled, but I suspect that will be reset on any update. I can't find the link that I had where it said to do that.

Anyway, I hope that's all accurate. I had to look it up for my nephews. I'm not on a relevant android version myself yet.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I like a lot that I can 'subscribe' to youtube channels in NewPipe and it's entirely local (you can't even log in in the app). You can also bin the channels into different groups for checking out what's new at different times. That list seems to be sorted newest first, whether you want it or not.

You can entirely stop autoplay, hide comments, hide next and similar videos and hide app tabs with content you didn't explicitly search or ask for. The superior youtube experience imo.

Don't know if/how you can get assistant to launch any of it though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

eSporks posted:

New pipe still displays the bookmarked playlist in oldest first order. Interface is cleaner and easier than YouTube though. I can at least access the newest video from the main channel feed easier.
I figured having a playlist would get supplanted by using a channel group as far as checking what's new on multiple channels goes, but people seriously have different ways to go about these things and I don't use playlists in general, so yeah, I don't know the ins and outs of that in particular.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Oh yeah, searching within or filtering a channel feed and saving that setting somehow would be a great feature that seems to be lacking. Didn't know you could setup something like that through playlists in the native app.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

AntennaPod also does this.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Huh apparently you can add a local folder as a subscription in AntennaPod. So, yeah, that's another one that should be good for that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

There's a seemingly decent app called Suntimes that will do it, but I got it on the f-droid app store and it doesn't seem to be on the play store. Sunrise Companion: Sunrise and Sunset Times on the play store seems similar (ie. allows an offset alarm) and purports to be ad free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Can't promise anything about Facebook clients on it, but the f-droid store is legit and I love rummaging through it for things I might need. Got a number of utilitarian apps from there that serve me well.