Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Is there any particular reason to use PushBullet over AirDroid, or AirDroid over PushBullet? It looks like they do mostly the same things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I was more interested in sending files than links, so airdroid might be the better way to go, then, thanks! New question: any suggestions for auto maintenance? Keeping track of services completed, when oil changes are due, that sort of thing?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for an app that automatically cycles through space-themed wallpapers? The NASA app used to do that and I used it for years, but it seems like they removed that functionality. I've tried another couple of random "space wallpaper" apps and none of them seem great.

Does it have to be actual space, or would fake space work? If the latter, I've been using this one for a while now.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Have you tried NetGuard? It sets up a VPN on the phone that does the blocking for you, so you can use whatever browser you want.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3751764&pagenumber=118&perpage=40#post472540289

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Any suggestions for something to listen to mp3 audiobook files with? Looking for something that can remember position between listenings, and ideally can be set up to interpret bluetooth commands as back/forward a few seconds instead of next/previous file. If I could just add loose files to pocketcasts that'd pretty much do what I want.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Yay, thank you!

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I've been using NetGuard for adblocking, but it keeps notifying me about both stable and beta updates instead of just stable updates, and the beta updates seem to break adblocking until I either roll back or a new stable update comes out.
What are the other good current adblock app options again?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

MX Player's latest patch notes mention they've got their own 'Coins' now earned by using the app, so uhhh

What's the go-to video player app these days?

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I stopped updating Pocket Casts right before the update to the new UI and I've basically just been hoping they don't break the old versions some how ever since.

Also thank you for the VLC recommendation, I will try it out. I was figuring it was probably the answer, but they last time I checked there was some sort of nonsense about it, it might've been a pain to use or something- but it was literally a couple phones ago.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Checked the last 20 pages but didn't find any calendar widget mentions- SGDQ 2020 is starting this weekend, so I added the ical for it to my Google Calendar, then went to my Pixel XL's calendar widget to tell it to sync. However, it wouldn't show up in the list of available calendars to display in the widget's syncing options. Did some looking around, found out the widget was de-listed, renamed, and re-uploaded a few years back without notification. Switched to new version of the widget, same issue. Uninstalled, went to the built-in Google Calendar widget, realized it's literally just the Google Calendar Schedule view with no visible options for tweaking it.

What are people using for calendar widgets? I'd like something that can display upcoming events in a list, ideally with some options for choosing how it looks and stuff.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Uthor posted:

I use Simple Calendar Widget

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.calendarWidget

I dunno about dealing with iCal

The issue didn't seem to be with iCal specifically; it'd worked fine all the previous years. I will check that out, thank you!

EDIT: Oh huh, you mean Simple Calendar Widget- it's not displaying events from iCal calendars. Weird.

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 14, 2020

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

In the middle of upgrading from my old Pixel XL to a new Pixel 4a5g, what's the current go-to for blocking ads? I was using Blokada on the XL.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Those popups are Twitter's, I believe, yeah. It's REAL loving aggressive about making you an account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

PowerAmp/Podcast Addict here.
Used to use PocketCasts but then swapped over to PA for reasons I forget.