Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

Apologies if this has recently been answered. It's been a few years since I've had to use something like this, but does anyone have any recs for good apps to use an android phone as a remote control for a Windows PC? Just something simple that lets me use the mouse/virtual keyboard/switch it off from bed kinda thing. I've been using the Steam Link app to turn the PC off, which works but feels like a bit of a workaround.

Bit late on this but have you tried Matric?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You can use Google Takeout to download a JSON of your subscriptions, and NewPipe can import that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've been using Pulsar. It seems to work fine.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Has a replacement for Vanced come along yet? Or does anyone know about a project like that in the works?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, it's a slightly convoluted process but you can do that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I just use the text editor and viewer that came with FX's file browser. If I need more complicated features like bullet points I have Samsung notes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ex post facho posted:

So I guess YouTube Vanced died? Is there any alternative?

ReVanced is a slightly bigger pain in the rear end to get going than Vanced was, but it's not too hard to comprehend once you get past how badly all the guides are written and how they haven't finished getting the actual website up so it's all on a raw github repo.

1) Download and install the latest version of ReVanced Manager, which is currently this one.
2) Go to APKMirror and download but do not install the non-bundled variant of the most recent version of Youtube that ReVanced supports, which is currently 18.05.40.
3) If your phone isn't rooted, download and install Vanced MicroG. You probably already have this if you've been using Vanced, but it can't hurt to make sure you have the latest version.
4) Open ReVanced Manager. Tap Patcher, then "Select an application", then the "Storage" button at the bottom, then select the Youtube APK you downloaded from APKMirror.
5) Tap "Select patches" and pick which of the ~60 available patches you want. If your phone isn't rooted, make sure the MicroG Support patch is selected.
6) Tap the Patch button and wait for it to finish.
7) I've been told you should disable the 'real' Youtube app as well, but I'm not sure why or what happens if you don't. It was able to coexist with Vanced just fine on my phone.

If the version of Youtube you get back is throwing weird errors about not having an internet connection on the home page or when you try to log in, open your phone settings, search for Accounts, tap Manage Accounts, then Manage Accounts again, remove any accounts connected to Vanced MicroG, then log back in through your patched Youtube app.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Aside from the extra work of setting your subscriptions up again, you mean?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

You can just export from YouTube and import them in.

I've done that, and "just" is doing some lifting there

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

My Samsung seems to have a much more in-depth modes system. You can set multiple different modes and routines and you have plenty of options for time controls. You can set modes to trigger in certain places, at certain time periods on specific days of the week with an optional exception for holidays, when a bunch of other conditions about the phone are met, all sorts. I didn't have to get into those digital wellbeing settings, either, it was just there already.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm looking for an app that can 1) do all the podcast app things, fetch them off the web automatically etc, but also 2) actually play files from the Podcasts folder on my phone, which every music player seems to deliberately ignore (and I want them to do that, so that I don't randomly shuffle hour long podcast episodes into my music). Is there one that does both?

E: Just found one - AntennaPod. It's on the FDroid store.

Dabir fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Aug 28, 2023

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What's a good maps app for smart watches? I just got a Galaxy Watch 5 and Google Maps is having trouble keeping up with my location, and the watch version can't do public transport routes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't see how that stops Google putting a public transport button next to the walking and driving options like the phone app has

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Or use ReVanced.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

This seems like it'll work! As for music players what's most important is being able to make it sort by like, folder directory rather than the actual tags, if that's possible on android.

I use AIMP and it's capable of doing that. I picked it cause I was looking for the ability to double-tap to seek back or forth a few seconds, and it can do that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

smoobles posted:

Can anyone recommend a podcast app, ideally with these 2 features that I love from Google Podcasts (Rest In Piss)

1. Automatic downloading of new episodes in the background

2. Ability to quickly add an episode to "next" in the playlist/queue. Ideally with a single button tap (e.g. Podcast Addict makes you go thru a wee menu)

Don't mind paying for it if it's a good app!!

By next, do you mean add to the bottom of the queue? Cause if so, AntennaPod has these. The way mine is set up, you queue an episode up by swiping it in a particular direction, but you can configure what swiping does, even set it differently in different views.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oh hey, the watch version of Google Maps finally includes bus travel. Better late than never, much like all these drat buses.