Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

toothdevil posted:

Are there any good apps that allow me to control my phone through windows using a PC? (I tried microsoft's phone link thing and it wouldn't allow me to use computer audio for voice calls) I have no idea what to trust on the Play store.

You can do it even without an app installed on the phone, here's an open source project that does it via ADB installed on your computer. Just needs you to enable USB debugging.
https://github.com/Genymobile/scrcpy/tree/master.
It mirrors the entire android screen to a window on your PC and you can interact with it just like you would on the phone itself by clicking in the window to send taps.

Audio works for playing music at least but I didn't test making any phonecalls.

Downside is it's a CLI tool but you can just make a .bat file to launch it instead of going through the console every time.
It even works wirelessly, but you have to either start with the device plugged in via usb or know the android's IP address on your local wifi to be able to connect. (Which probably means setting it up as a static IP in your router so it doesn't get a different address each time you come home and re-connect to the network)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Anyone have a good simple timer app where the first thing you see when you open it is just a number pad? I'm annoyed with the default clock/timer app on my pixel which has some overcomplicated system where instead of just typing in the time and hitting go you create like... persistent timer objects that hang around on screen the next time you run it and if you want to type in a custom time instead of reusing the last few timers you have to open a sub menu and make a new one.

Micro Timer seems almost perfect except for the bizarre choice that the timers don't ring at all when they go off and are locked to vibration only.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Itunes songs have been drm-free since 2007 afaict.
You should be able to just grab the song files from ituness folder on your macbook (probably in .aac format), connect your phone as a storage device, then copy them over like any other file, just like you would copy them onto a USB drive.
Then you'll be able to play them in any music player you like as long as it supports the aac format.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 15, 2024

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kheldarn posted:

Oh, if you're talking about this, I have no idea if any app can just start playing music the instant it connects to bluetooth.

I think that's on the bluetooth device's end to send the "play" command when something connects.

Like the bluetooth system in my car will do it but my headphones won't (unless I hit their play button)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Celexi posted:

does any of the clients here do the thing of pausing podcast when navitation/phone/etc happens because the last update of youtube music messed that up

idk about phone calls but i use antennapod and it'll pause when the google maps text-to-speech is talking and resume afterwards

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
There's an app called spotiflyer that lets you download music from your spotify so you can use it in your normal music player
You can "share" an album or playlist from within spotify to the spotiflyer app and it'll give you download buttons for all the songs.

I use the foobar2000 app as my music player since that's what I use on PC and it works well enough, plus it's free. Can't speak for the competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Meh, it's just making personal-use copies of stuff you're already paying for. Don't go uploading them on file sharing sites I guess?