Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
So, Google Podcasts is going away, and I've skimmed the thread and looked into suggestions but people are usually not asking much about the single biggest most important feature for me, and I want to see if I understand this right.

I want a podcast app on Android that will sync with one on my Windows PC. This is the only major feature that is all that important to me, although it would be nice for it to be lightweight, and to import my podcasts from Google Podcasts, and to allow importing podcasts via RSS.

My choices are
1. Hope Spotify stopped being kinda trash someone since I quit using it because the sync quit working.
2. Pay $20 a year for Pockestcasts, because I didn't buy it like a decade ago when it was a purchase.
3. Set up Antennapod, and figure out how to get a Nextcloud Server set up with GPodder Sync, and find a windows player that works right with said GPodder Sync. The main one I hear mentioned, KDE Kasts, seems to be Linux only, also? Actually I think before I switched to Google Podcasts before I might have tried this and had this for the sticking point, but I'm not sure.

Is this right or am I missing an option that isn't terrible? I'm willing to spend, like, $10 once or something, but $20/year is just not happening.

--edit
And if this is right does anyone have advice or a tutorial for doing that third one? I do like the idea of Antennapod, but I have never been able to get the sync to work, actual GPodder.net usually doesn't even load, and the actual GPodder app wouldn't link to any other implementation last time I looked and is incredibly slow and laggy for some reason anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

H110Hawk posted:

Would you be open to something like this no-name app I just googled and pairing with bluetooth to your windows computer? Looks like you still have to do all the control from your phone sadly. (I don't have a better answer for you around the podcast stuff specifically.)

https://apps.microsoft.com/detail/9n9wclwdqs5j?hl=en-us&gl=US

That is. . . honestly probably worth looking into. I hadn't thought of that, but it's really not like I don't have my phone around when I'm at the computer.