Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Thermopyle posted:

All these IM apps are goddamn poo poo.

Its like no one remember what made the internet good. Create a low-level, open, cross-platform specification and then let people make whatever apps they want implementing said specification.

SMS/MMS is kind of there, but it's too much controlled by carriers and too lacking in features.

Matrix.org is trying to do this, although it's probably just going to XMPP hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Alan_Shore posted:

So this is weird. My GF has an iPhone and I have Android, and for the last couple of days Google Maps will only give us directions for the bus, not the underground, even if you specify underground in options. Is this a Hong Kong only thing?

This is a backend issue (hitting maps.google.com too), filed a bug and it should hopefully get fixed soon (next day or two, probably).

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

LastInLine posted:

Something that isn't Maps is invoking it.

It'll be this. Very curious that it tried to intent to navigation to the same place you were navigating to though. How did you invoke maps when you started it yourself for that navigation?

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Lightbulb Grease posted:

Has anyone else seen this icon when using Google Maps?

Have we ever panned over a buddhist temple, do you mean?

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Lightbulb Grease posted:

It's supposed to be a hotel, not a Buddhist temple.

OK. Well, it's perfect legitimate for a manji symbol to show up on maps, which is what your question sounded like it was about.

As to why it showed up for a hotel, I'd go with some one-off Android maps weirdness. Doesn't show up for me at that location.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can answer people's questions without being so loving smug about it. Besides, every buddhist temple I've ever seen on Google Maps has used the Dharma Wheel as it's symbol.

You weren't even the one asking? And if that's what sets you off, no, I can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

wouldn't SMS encompass all of them?

are there people who can't get a text on their smartphone?

Yes, many MVNOs in Japan sell cheap data only SIMs that don't support SMS, and they're quite popular (and no one misses SMS). Wouldn't be surprised if other countries had them too.