Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

NihilCredo posted:

If you kinda care about privacy but still want to talk to people using phone numbers, go with Signal.

Sorry for late response to this but:

Signal is the app I use and don't think I'm liable to change anytime soon. But a bug has me seeing people I've never had in my contacts list as contacts in the app.

Previously my issue was merely continuing to see old deleted contacts that are not synced anywhere and where stored on the phone to begin with.

This is new. One was a professional actor. I didn't recognize the name but he has an IMDb page. Always possible the person was lying but why claim to be someone with bits parts on sitcoms when asked who the number belongs to?

No clue how widespread this is. But it would seem like a huge *huge* security and privacy risk. Yet Signal hasn't responded to either of the two support tickets I've made.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Google Play *needs* to explain on its store what 'Contains in-app purchases' means. At least in broad strokes. Does it mean some features are locked before purchase or that some additional content is available? Or on the other end that there is only a short trial before purchase or even that you cannot use the app at all without purchasing it?

That last one is super annoying because I think it's used to not reveal the price until there's some effort already made to install the app. Many of these even from popular publishers don't tell you the prices on their website. I've had mixed results from emailing and asking what the prices are. (It was the principle of the thing.)

They'll never do this because it would almost certainly rely on publishering selecting from a drop-down menu when submitting a new app; and if they later change or even outright lie the recourse would be complaining to Google who don't want to deal with it. Intertia might also a role. There may also be other reasons. They'll never do it. But they need to do it.

Would also be really nice if the store told you if you need an account to make use of an apps basic functions.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

New EU regulations (which will end up affecting all Europe and even further afield) mean Google and Apple must build their OS to allow independent apps competing with their own default ones to work as well as these defaults. Or at least provide the coding tricks that make them function with fewer glitches on Android and iOS. (That's my understanding at least. And there are a lot more components to the regulations, such as the ability to uninstall nearly every one of their non-essential apps. Samsung, so far, has successfully argued they're not a tech juggernaut like the others, and I was looking forward to getting rid of Samsung Free.)

If this doesn't compromise security by giving 'Karl's Calculator App Totally Not Malware' greater access to your system that'll be a small but welcome change.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 24, 2023

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

It's Google I have a gripe with just now.

I got an advertisement for Google VPN being available for me as part pf G One Previously I looked into Google One and the VPN wasn't available in the country I'm currently training. After subscribing and trying to install the feature I'm told that it's still not available here. Support wasn't much help.

Hi I signed up for Google One because the page says it comes with Google VPN. But then it's not available in my country?
'Yeah sorry but all of the features for any service are always subject to local availability.'
Sure. Sure. But why is there text saying Get Google VPN Free With Google One on country x's G One page, in language x, when it's not available in country x?
'Look I didn't design the website okay pal?'

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

VelociBacon posted:

Could have been an a/b test.

The best part of being allocated into the intervention group of an a/b test is that if there's something you really dislike, making changes can be more more difficult as the processes you know or are described on the website no longer work.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Tiny question that I hope isn't as stupid as it may be:

Does the Google Lens app do *anything* that the modern Google app cannot? Or at least do anything better than the Google app?

I do make use of Lens in situations where it would suck to find out in the moment that I cannot use one of the features on the main app. At the same time I am super neurotic and the idea of keeping an unnecessary application pains me physically.

Searching for the answer turns up that 'the modern Google app on Android does basically [and that's the word I'm curious about] everything that the Google Lens app can do'.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I already posted about this in another thread but this is more app related:

I am having problems with getting through to my sister when I need to because she has her WhatsApp messages notifications off or else she gets swamped she says. And calling is really expensive as we're on different continents.

Someone recommended Signal. But you can't add just one or two people. You'd have to block everyone else in your contacts list and that might be awkward.

Is there any IM app (ideally with voice calls but not necessarily) that you can add people without automatically showing up to every contact who also has your number? There were a few like AIM but they're not around anymore and I can't find anything on Google.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Thank you everyone who helped (or tried to help) with me and my sister's issue.

Simplex and Jami (which I learned about through Simplex's site) seemed promising. Signal has the mode posted above but it doesn't work for iOS which is what she uses. You can deny it access to your address book and presumably that means others won't be able to see you on in the Signal contacts; but this also means that you can't add anybody. You can only send an invite to a number you don't have to get Skype. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe you can start a conversation with someone you just know the number of but don't have in the address book you permit the app to access.

If that fails, she suggested Threema. Which I hadn't heard of but sounds promising.

As for the talk of dealing with the problem at the source, I think that's a personal issue. My philosophy is that if it's easier to work around a problem than hitting your head against the wall doing things like playing IM app musical chairs, I just go with the easier approach. It wouldn't be some weird life lesson for us to get tougher or just put up with inconvenience/distractions. We both can handle very high stress environments. Doesn't mean we want to add more even if it pales in comparison. I understand that for some, this might be entirely unacceptable; that they wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing they have an app installed just to talk to one person instead of turning notifications on and learning to prioritize. But I do not grant that one method is superior to the other and I don't think it's cool to imply that one obviously is.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I came across Windows Defender while in the Play Store. I hadn't even know there was a mobile version, actually.

So now I'm wondering two things: 1) Is there any real point of an antivirus program on Android when you run all the default safety features in that unrooted OS? 2) What free or near-free AV would you recommend?

[Sorry for posting this in both of the threads here but I wonder if there would be different responses and I just want to be over and done with this.]

Thanks!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Nitrousoxide posted:

You could probably use a nail clipper as a WiFi or Bluetooth antenna.

Yeah but that function is locked behind a $2.99 a month extra charge.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Just wondering, does anyone know of a good *off-line* password manager app other than KeePass and its clones? One where you don't even need an account let alone a subscription to use. And ideally on more than one platform?

I am using BlackBerry Password Safe which is fine but I'd like to see what else is out there. Google isn't much help: it brings up apps which aren't truly off-line (i.e. Bitwarden which you can use off-line in view mode but you need a subscription and the actual entries are hosted online) and Reddit posts asking the same thing and being told that it's a fool's errand because you're taking on the security risk yourself and your phone is more likely to be stolen then breached than companies like LastPass and Dashlane are to be hacked (which I don't know is actually true and ignores other shortfalls).

Since the lists don't even mention BB Password Safe I'm presuming there might be quite a lot of options that fly under the radar.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Thanks for those! I'm surprised there aren't more options that fit exactly what I'm looking for. But that's pretty much the case for basically all apps.

One more though:

How do I see the recent/still open apps in Samsung UI? What I mean by this is that I open up my browser, start surfing, realize I have to look at my calendar o I swipe up and open that up, but when I'm done I want to see the browser again? Do I have to just go back into the locker and click the icon again? What if I want to see what apps are still running and close them to spare RAM?

This wasn't an issue because I was running a different loader that has keys at the bottom the the screen but it's been buggy.

Oh and screw YouTube videos that purport to show you how to do something on Android/Samsung/whatever and halfway through the instructions are 'Install this app [that sponsors me and might be malware at worst and at best still costs $2.99] even though there is an easy way to do it with the stock OS I know and just won't tell you about'.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

disaster pastor posted:

Assuming you have an S24-series, the swipe mechanics on that one are the default: swiping up from the bottom and holding for a second will bring up your open apps. (If you've installed Good Lock and NavStar, you can reinstate the Samsung swipe mechanics, which are just "swipe up where that button would be.")

Thank you. So simple but I wouldn't stumble on it myself. Hey

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Hi guys. Another question. If anyone is familiar with FB Messenger (latest app version, latest Android version), can I mut a group chat but recieve notifications if someone replies to me? Facebook has instructions: mute messages but unmute replies.

This isn't working. If I set nothing chat to mute I get all notifications. If I set all options to mute I get zero notifications. If I set it as FB recommends I also get zero. Now this particular group chat is often filed with social conversation but sometimes I need to ask something and be notified as soon as possible of a reply.

I wonder if someone has to @ you for it to count as a reply. Before I clear data, clear cache and uninstall & reinstall the app I'm going to ask here.

Because I can totally see Meta removing this option for the most stuuupid reasons: e.g. 'We want people to engage with our app as much as possible.' Or 'Everyone would mute messages and that's anti-social.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

"Almost perfect"? lol. Sounds like it barely does half of what you want to the point of setting for one that does but needs to be cleaned.

I looked fand can't find much that has everything I expect you're looking for on the Play Store. Some well reviewed apps on F-Droid.

Also I sure share your frustration. I'm okay with stock timer on my Samsung. But the calculator app and others I've found. It remembering what you've done so far even if you fully edit the app or reset the phone, but also inne things like not bringing up the calv right away but a 'Your most frequent calculations page' you can't turn off.