Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

smoobles posted:

Google Pixel has Focus Mode, I'd assume Samsung does too

damnit....I have the 6 pro, but I put lineage os on it because I don't like stock android. id like to check out focus mode though. maybe I'll try it on one of my old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

smoobles posted:

I wish Focus mode also had a Reverse Focus mode where it blocks work apps & work email in evenings and weekends.

I keep my work stuff in a work profile for this and then turn the profile off when not at work. stops all notifications.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
seconding fairmail. it's great once you get it set up.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Incessant Excess posted:

Kinda niche but if you have a NAS or server then audiobookshelf is kind of a Plex for audiobooks, works pretty well even for people who are not very tech savvy.

oh poo poo nice! I'm actually in the process of building a home server so I will definitely use this now that I know about it. thanks!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

H110Hawk posted:

Seems to work, thanks. Extremely basic which is fine enough for me. Kind of funny that it doesn't use id3 metadata to sort things but tells you to sort them yourself into folders. It does detect the chapters in this m4b which is nice though. No cover art etc. (vlc shows all that but doesn't handle books well. It does show the chapters.)

I do, does this work remotely assuming I'm not insane and don't expose plex to the internet? Is there an iphone client as well? My wife would benefit from it as well.

is wireguard not sufficient for accessing your server stuff from outside your network?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Nitrousoxide posted:

Geometric Weather is great. I just wish it had radar. That would make it the perfect weather app.

drat I was about to download it, but that's a deal breaker for me.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
so, I have a rooted pixel 6 pro, and currently I use swift backup to backup all my apps and app data to the cloud. this happens on a schedule every morning at 3am because it usually takes an hour or so, and so it's done when I wake up. this works great for me, but recently I went to do a fresh install of lineageOS, and realized that the only way I've been transferring my actual media data (photos, music, podcasts, etc) is to just manually drag the folders on to my computer from my phone, and then drag them back when I'm done.

I'm wondering, does anyone here have a nice solution for doing nightly backups of media data that would ideally work the same way swift backups nightly scheduled backup works? I'd imagine something like this is out there and exists, I just don't know about it. I'd like to stay away from Google products and services if possible.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Khablam posted:

There's probably a lot of specific tools to do this, but I use syncthing. It's opensource and you can just have it sync A to B with very little effort.

does it have the ability to auto sync on a schedule? I've heard of it before (and synctrezor or whatever the other thing is) but I never really dug in to check it out

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

smoobles posted:

Holy poo poo, the "At A Glance" widget from Google is huuuuge!

It's a great feature on the pixel that I wanna use on my Zenphone but this is nuts.

Is there an alternative out there?

this is my main reason for liking and still using nova launcher; being able to resize my widgets.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

sirbeefalot posted:

Am I going to need to have a sub now to listen to podcasts? YouTube Music doesn't play in the background, with the screen off, or through Android Auto without a paid sub. Fuckin' Googled again.

what the gently caress? lmao why do people even use YouTube music...?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I just use newpipe with sponsor block and I listen to YouTube with the screen off and don't even need to be signed in

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Inceltown posted:

Use Newpipe, stop using the YouTube app.

it's even got sponsor block! no reason not to use newpipe

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

deong posted:

But does newpipe have youtube messenger?

what the gently caress is YouTube messenger?!:dafuq:

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
using Textra, and when I get texts from people, there's a weird string of characters at the end of the message. at first I thought it was someone sending me a message with that in it, but then I got it from a few different people who don't know each other. anyone dealt with this before?

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

hark posted:

using Textra, and when I get texts from people, there's a weird string of characters at the end of the message. at first I thought it was someone sending me a message with that in it, but then I got it from a few different people who don't know each other. anyone dealt with this before?

apparently this isn't just textra, but also on my Google messages app....hmm

very curious what the hell this is. and I don't know how to search for an answer.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

wow very strange....this is the exact issue I'm having. I went to see if my fi app was running (I also have Google Fi) only to find that the app had been entirely disabled, and I had to enable it. I definitely didn't do that myself, so it's very odd. I'll see if turning that app back on fixes the issue though. Thanks!

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Digital Jedi posted:

I've been using hyperion ever since Nova did whatever they did a while ago with their permission stuff.

It's been really good. Pro version is only 5 I think.

Wait what??? I'm on Nova now and have been for years. What did they do????

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Just uninstalled the Amazon app and it got rid of that search option. Fine with me since I use the browser on mobile just as easily as the app.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Antennapod gang

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I use Gboard and just block it from calling home

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I personally bought and paid for netguard a while back so I use that to do it. I think it has a free version too? But I don't remember because it's been a long rear end time

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Flipperwaldt posted:

Thanks. Neither option is available to me on this Xioami piece of poo poo. I've tried other vpn loopback apps and the OS kills them overnight, no matter how explicitly you exclude the app from the ridiculous power saver "features".

I had openboard with swipe for a while, but then it just plain stopped working one day. I have got to admit it also wasn't anywhere near as good as gboard at remembering that if I was using a particular word in the last few minutes, the likelihood of it or a variant turning up again was fairly high. It also did nothing in terms of guessing what language I was writing in. But I liked the idea of not literally every word going to Google.

Ah, well.

Are those phones locked down or something? That's weird that you can't get it

here's a link to the apk? if that helps

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Flipperwaldt posted:

No, I can get, configure and run the app, but I also know that in the morning, every morning, I'd have to manually restart the app to have it working and that's too much of a faff. I've actually had it installed from F-droid for a few days some time ago, and then an ad blocker that worked that way and another firewall app and just everything that works through a local vpn is killed when the phone goes to sleep.

E: thanks though

Wtf that's wild.

That would really make me doubt that literally anything I was doing on the phone was safe or private.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've got it installed now with both options enabled and it excluded from power saving as far as the system allows. I might have wanted to suppress the permanent notification last time? We'll see.

Anyway, I immediately dislike that it doesn't differentiate between local network access and the internet. This might be covered in the filtering pro option, idk.

Ah yeah as I was reading this comment I was confused until I got to that second part. I definitely have the options for wifi / network exclusive choice in mine.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Flipperwaldt posted:

Following up with the fact that netguard stays working fine overnight now and that my earlier problems must have stemmed from me trying to hide the permanent notification. It's still weird that there are some apps that can have the stay alive benefits of having a permanent notification that is hidden, but not vpns. Tasker and its plugins don't care.

Glad at least one thing is working for ya

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

H110Hawk posted:

This is what I do. It works great.

Same here. It's been my daily driver for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
Antennapod is the best podcast app.