Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
If you use Google Inbox instead of Gmail it's really good at pulling out orders and shipping notifications into a category and giving you icons with arrival dates and a simple tracking link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

The Dark One posted:

Google Authenticator just updated to a material design aesthetic. :aaaaa:

And there's already a review complaining about it being bright and colorful and bring back dark holo dammit! :argh:

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

BoyBlunder posted:

+1'ing this - recently switched from LastPass, to 1Password (which I hated) and now using KeePass. The syncing is great, and Keepass2Android even supports fingerprint, which 1Password doesn't have.

Wait, what when did Keepass add fingerprint support? Not seeing anything.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

FunOne posted:

Anyone else just get emails about cards in Android Pay being removed? Nothing looks changed when I open the app, but I got emails from both BofA and Amex about my cards being removed.

I got one but it said it was removed from my Motorola phone, which was my previous phone. So maybe they just cleared them out of phones that haven't been used in a while?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

LastInLine posted:

Really Weather Timeline is so good I can't imagine why I'd entertain switching. It has everything I could imagine someone wanting in an aesthetically pleasing app. I'd consider it to be one of the best Android apps out there full stop.

That's the issue. When Dark Sky came out on iOS it was doing something genuinely different. I'd have been all over it if it had come out in the last couple years. But with Weather Timeline and another apps using their API becoming established during that time, the need for it has diminished. And now when it does come out, they ask for a subscription to access what would be considered basic features on Android and others that don't really offer anything over other premium weather apps. Plus I now live in a location where their prediction stuff doesn't work that great, particularly in regards to when and whether it is snowing or raining.

Yesterday the devs already retweeted a 'this is why Android can't have nice things' comment due to people having some issues with that. It's like I get where you are coming from as a dev trying to move to a new platform, but when you are essentially late to it and ask us to pay more long term for the same features than the iOS users, and for what most of us already have, don't be surprised if there's a bit of a backlash.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Finally doing the obvious thing and will be allowing Android Auto to run on your phone
http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/18/11698274/android-auto-app-update-phone-dash-google-io-2016

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

concise posted:

If anyone remembers when Google Maps Navigation first came out in Android 2.x or whenever, there was a mode to enable a follow mode without entering a destination. That mode is back and can be accessed by adding a "Driving" widget, or by going to Maps > Settings > Navigation Settings > Add driving shortcut.

Not sure how late I am to the party but I've been missing this feature for years.

Yeah it appeared in the last week or so. You can also start it from Menu, Start Driving.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Flamingo is a new Twitter client by the Weather Timeline guy, probably worth grabbing. Now supports keeping your place in timeline for someone who was asking about that the other day.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

bull3964 posted:

Interesting that Google Rewards updated with a round icon. I wonder if all google first party apps are going to go round to match the new Pixel Launcher.

Most already have it in there, they are adding them as alternative icons within the app that the Pixel Launcher will automatically use. Presumably third party apps will start adding support for them also.

Article about this: http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/20/pixel-launcher-sneak-peek-part-1-googles-new-circular-launcher-icons-apk-teardown/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
I seem to remember a lot of car manufacturers have agreements with satellite radio to use those connections to provide album art if needed, and that's why you get the terrible results with artist photos and stuff if they can't parse it from the file.