Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Whizbang posted:

Tasker is dead and you have the 2FA stuff in the OP twice.

Tasker is dead? I haven't been keeping up with it, but I paid for it back in the day. IFTT does most of what I need to automate without Tasker and it doesn't require a guy to have to read the manual to make it work, so I sort of stuck with that. But I figured Tasker was in it for the long haul, since those huge nerds didn't leave their house and were probably stuck with this forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
As a web developer, there are two apps that I use on my phone/tablet for small changes or access to my servers.

JuiceSSH is listed in the OP and is well worth whatever I paid to have the ability to save snippets. For things like restarting apache, it's easier to do it from my phone than from putty or anything else I use on my laptop. I also keep AWD - PHP/HTML/CSS/JS IDE (great name) around just in case I'm out somewhere and I need to make a change to html or simple php code in some sort of emergency boss freak out situation.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

What are people using for recipe storage? I'd like to put a tablet in my kitchen and get rid of the shelf of cookbooks. Basically, I'm looking for something where I can (ideally) copy and paste into a virtual recipe card and save. If nothing else, I need an app that will allow me to save my recipes, and isn't a collection of Food Network recipes (or whatever.)

I haven't tried too many other options, but I use Asparagus.

You can add recipes manually, or if you find recipes online and they're in the proper format, you can share that page from your browser to Asparagus and it'll (hopefully) grab all the right things and create the recipe for you. When it works, it's pretty nice. But some of the smaller sites don't use the standard recipe format and you have to copy and paste.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'll give it a shot - thanks. I also came across Pepperplate. It works across PC, iOS, and Android, so I can edit on the PC and view on tablet. Strangely, the PC version seems to be a little more limited than the Android app (sorting by category is missing on PC, for instance).

Read the Asparagus reviews before paying the in app purchase. I just saw it hasn't been updated in a while. It still works well for me, but there are people complaining about specific things in the reviews. Being able to have pc/app integration sounds like it would be really good. I would much rather import a lot of recipes with copy/paste on a pc than on a phone.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Well that's stupid. Ugh google...

I'm guessing that their point for subscriptions is that it's an ongoing payment and they can't guarantee that you'll have credit there next time. Same could be said for your bank account, but whatever.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Bloodplay it again posted:

Within the past couple of days, ES File Explorer pushed out an update that added bloatware. I woke up this morning to a "# junks need to be cleaned" push notification and, as it turns out, it's from ES File Explorer. If anything, it serves as a quick reminder to disable auto update when I get my next phone.

Wow. I just got this too. Bad choice for them. Think I'll find a new option.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

repiv posted:

Solid Explorer is the way to go if you don't mind spending money.

I went ahead and paid for it. Even though, like others in this thread, I rarely use a file explorer. Hopefully my two bucks will help buy some toilet paper for their office or something.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Mak0rz posted:

I don't use Google Keep a whole lot, but sometimes my girlfriend and I share shopping lists and whatnot using it. Whenever items are shared I get both an email and a mobile push notification.

How the gently caress do I disable email notification for this? It's kind of annoying.

I use this all the time too. My wife and I do the same thing with shopping lists for certain places that we just delete out when we've left the store.

I don't ever get notifications when she adds things. Maybe it's under "Reminders?" I have used a reminder based on location for a list once and it worked pretty well and fired off a notification when I got close to the store.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Eh, I'm vaguely annoyed by the fact that they've been adding poo poo that sucks for the last few months, but I've certainly gotten my $3 worth. I'm waiting to try Solid Explorer and see if I like that more, but I'm definitely considering ES Pro.

ES added poo poo and then asked you to pay to remove it. Probably should stop using it.

I've moved to Solid Explorer and it's already easier to use and looks better.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

brc64 posted:

I want to get my girlfriend a subscription to YouTube Red for Christmas, but it doesn't look like there's any easy way to do it. I can't find any evidence of gift subscriptions being a thing, but I also can't find any information on payment structures. I know it's $9.99/mo, but is there any option to buy more than a month at a time?

As it is, it looks like I'm going to have to sneak onto her computer to purchase it and put in my own credit card, but I'd like to at least be able to buy like a year upfront so I won't have to worry about managing the subscription if there's another credit card breach or something and I end up getting a new card again. Is that possible?

I might be wrong about this, but I have a google music subscription from the very beginning and that gave me access to YouTube Red.

Hopefully someone else can verify.

google music gifts

Edit: Could you buy a google music subscription for yourself and add her via the new "family plan?" Then when she figures out who you really are, you might be able to cancel her part of the account?

beerinator fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 14, 2015

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there an app that will lock the screen to the current app that's loaded? Here's my use case:

I give my kid my phone to look at pictures. She loves looking at pictures, but isn't so good with swiping. She'll hit the home button, recents button, etc. I'd like something that would lock her into that app, locking her out of notifications and all the on-screen buttons.

Does such a thing exist?

I don't have any experience with this on android, but I think what you want is a Kiosk app. Here's one called SureLock Kiosk Lockdown.

Hopefully someone else will have experience with this, but simply knowing that the word kiosk is important here might help your search.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

fluppet posted:

So what's the recommended replacement for ES file Explorer as it's becoming more and more bloated with unnecessary crap?

I think Solid Explorer is the go to app now.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Athenry posted:

Is there any way to replicate the swipe left for Google Now in Nova Launcher?

Under Gestures and Inputs, I made Swipe Up be a Google Now launcher. It took a few days to get used to it, but now I can get to Google Now from any of my home screens instead of swiping through them to find the left most one.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
Google rewards just gave me 13 cents today after I told it I was white. So I know it's working for me.

I also am just now learning that being white can be a good thing after this exchange

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Why is it we care about Schmidt's sexual inclinations?

I only use messaging software from companies that are run by men with high sex drives.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Why would they not replace it with Allo :confused:

Why couldn't the features of Duo or Allo be incorporated into the existing Hangouts?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Check out Hue Vibes is pretty good as well.

Damnit. Now I have like three apps and two voice systems to control my light bulbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Edit: After paying I found out the rain alerts come from DarkSky no matter what you choose for the source. I'm guessing no other weather API offers them, which, if I'm going to lose them I might as well just use Google Weather.

They can use the Dark Sky API until the end of 2021 so they have time. They've posted on twitter a couple of times that they're trying out other weather sources. Hopefully something will come through to replace in a year and a half.