Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I saw on Slickdeals that something called Camscanner was on sale for $2 down from $5. Not sure how much better that works than Drive. Drive has always worked fine for my purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

ihatepants posted:

Count me as another that uses and loves Paprika on my Android phone, iPad, macbook and Windows 10 desktop. Also, I'm pretty sure that I'd read a long time ago in the iOS apps thread that it's Goon made.

It is goon made (this goon specifically). You must have spent a fortune getting the app on every platform though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I hope it'll let me replace all my missing SMS contact photos with shruggies, and replace "Unfortunately Hangouts has stopped working" with " ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ".

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Is anybody else's Google Photos app showing photos on the wrong days? It seems like it's putting the latest photo taken each day onto another day, but if I took multiple photos in a day, most of them are right. The exif tags show the right date, but the app has them grouped wrong.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Demon_Corsair posted:

Are you taking them close to midnight UTC? Which if you are in the US is generally mid to late afternoon.

Nah, I think it was just a glitch from the Nougat update. Clearing data on the app fixed it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Hangouts was crashing about once a minute for me yesterday (on Nougat). I cleared data on it and it got better, but it still has crashed once or twice since then. I'm not sure if it's somehow related to Android Wear, or Google Voice, or if it's just a poorly coded app.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Saturday morning, Fit detected the start of my bike ride but like 10 minutes in I stopped at a stop sign or something and it stopped tracking me. Sunday morning, it tracked the entire 13 miles. It's really unreliable but it's nice when it works because I don't have to remember to start it. Is there a better app for this type of this thing that won't be a big battery drain?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

jokes posted:

I've been using a good email client that recently went into a weird subscription thing and I decided to jump ship. What's a good email app that has a unified inbox for all my accounts (gmail and outlook) but also is secure and isnt shady as gently caress? Bonus points if it fits a blue theme, since Gmail's glaring red theme is.. A little much.

Can you link your Outlook account with your gmail account so it all goes into your gmail inbox (you can still send emails with either address) and then use Inbox?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

rngd in the womb posted:

The only email that Inbox supports is Gmail. Such a shame, though. EDIT: I guess you could set up something in your other email accounts to forward all email to whatever you're using Inbox with.

Yes. He would set Outlook to forward to Gmail, and add the Outlook account as a "Send Mail as" account within Gmail. That's how I manage all of my accounts.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

You can also go into gmail and set it to retrieve email from your other accounts. This all then shows up in Inbox.

That's an option, but I think gmail only checks POP3 accounts once an hour, whereas setting your account to forward to Gmail would push the email to you as soon as you get it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Moey posted:

Unsure about the scenario, but forwarding all your work email to an external address is a big no-no at a lot of places.

I assumed it was extremely uncommon to use an outlook.com address for work purposes.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

I've got a bunch of me@clientwebsiteoncrappywebmail.com accounts polled from a central Gmail and I sometimes get them faster on my phone than I do on my desktop

Is it POP3 on the desktop too, or IMAP with Push?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Scaramouche posted:

Well I meant Gmail in a desktop browser window. Obvs it wouldn't be faster than sitting the webmail HORDE interface or whatever. But it's definitely not every hour

Oh, I misunderstood what you were saying. My polling estimate was largely based on my own account:

edit: perhaps the polling time is set by the alternate email provider (in this case, Comcast).

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Hangouts v13 adds many more easter egg phrases, an in-app web browser, and prepares launcher shortcuts for Android 7.1

This is what the loving Hangouts team is doing instead of fixing all the bugs in the app.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Shot in the dark, but have you confirmed that the Photos app has all the necessary permissions, specifically the storage permission in this case?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Speaking of parking reminders, is there a way to set them manually. Like "okay google remember where I parked"?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't drive to most places because transit and biking are good, but I remember Google Now telling me without asking where I parked. It seems to sense if I stop my car and get out and walk somewhere, and marks that as my parking location.

but as the last several posts have mentioned, it's hit or miss on whether that actually works. I'd rather be able to set it manually but I couldn't even remember how to set a pin in Google Maps.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh sorry, I missed that. Yeah, not sure if there's a manual method. To set a pin you can tap and hold in Google Maps though, right?

I couldn't seem to get that to work a few weeks ago but it does appear to work now. Good enough I guess, if a little sloppy.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Obviously the problem is that you chose Dirty Unicorns over Magnus Ragnarok.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Party Boat posted:

Is there a way to stop Android Pay from pushing notifications that tell you you're near a business that accepts it? I don't want to turn off notifications or location services for the app altogether but the "advertising" ones are distracting.

Yes, it's one of the four options in the settings menu.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

hooah posted:

Does anyone know where gReader stores its settings backup file? I can't find wherever it stored itself.

Internal Storage/GReader/Backup

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

What is dead may never die.

quote:

Last Post Apr 21, 2012 22:13

I'm pretty sure we killed Grimbo though.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

There's a tag that's used for Compilations isn't there? Album artist or something? So that they all show up as the same artist even though it's a bunch of different artists?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Looten Plunder posted:

I just set up 2 step Google Authentication for my Nexus 5x. Two questions:

How do I get it to use the Authenticator App instead of getting the code via SMS?
What happens if I lose my phone and I want to log in to location services on another location to track down where my phone is?

It should have given you a QR code for you to scan with the Auth app. Maybe there is an option you have to turn on. It can't be tough to find; there aren't that many options on the 2FA page. As for losing your phone, when you turn on 2FA, it gives you an option to print backup codes to keep in a safe place. Each code is one-use only and will get you back into your account.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

And yes, this is great. I did about 30old photos out of albums today without even removing them from the sleeves.

How long did it take you? I've been running old photos through a high speed document scanner at work but it's not made for that kind of thing so the digital photos are washed out and dark. This might end up being a better option.

edit: also, since Google won't get their poo poo together and add QR scanning to the Camera, what's the next best option? Tell me it's not still Goggles.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 16, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

This new Google photo scanner app isn't perfect but holy cow it's so drat easy and mostly very effective, I tried it out on some pictures from a trip to Europe a long time ago (check out those old school date stamps) and I'm really happy with the result, took all of 15 seconds per photo

You think 2003 is a long time ago :(

It's a really nice app. It's not perfect, but considering you're just pointing a phone camera at a photograph, it works pretty well.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

Yea, I get what you're asking for, I'm just saying that isn't really how Google Photos wants you to use their service.

However, it's very easy to change the date of your photos.

Select all of the ones you want to change, click the 3-dot menu, and select edit date/time. You can then shift them all relative to their current date, or set them all to a specific date.

edit: one sec, I'll get an image or something to show that better...
edit2: https://plus.google.com/+GooglePhotos/posts/3ABHACR7QhA

I think the complaint everyone has is that there's no way to do it from your phone. The photoscan app should have an option, but the Photos app should definitely have the same functionality as the website.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

davebo posted:

Is all the processing done on your phone or is it actually uploading the multiple shots to google and processing there? Just curious if it'd work somewhere I have no signal.

The app doesn't have network permissions, so I think it's all done on the phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh poo poo that reminded me that I actually purchased Tasker way back in the day but haven't used it. Is there still a Tasker specific topic here on SA?

Technically yes, if you enjoy threads that haven't been touched in over six months.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

How often is it rebooting?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Deathlove posted:

Had it for about five weeks, first time was about two weeks ago.

That doesn't answer my question. How often is it rebooting?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Realistically if the answwer is anything other than "never" then something's seriously wrong. When's the last time you had your device panic? For me I'm certain it's been more than a year, and probably years.

But if it's a nightly occurrence, then it's easier to narrow down than if it's completely random.

Tunga posted:

For me it's every other time I use Daydream. That thing is a bit of a disaster.

Daydream the VR poo poo or Daydream the screensaver thing?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Magog posted:

I have to say I am disappointed after using Beyondpod for ~2 years there's still a couple of the same interface glitches I encounter regularly.

Still worth it though.

Which glitches?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

How old? 2? There aren't a ton of great games for that age, but there are some. My daughter was a big fan of this at that age, but I've never used the Android version. There's also a [url=https://play.google.com/store/recommended?sp=CAEqBkZBTUlMWTAAWi4KKHByb21vdGlvbl9hZ2VyYW5nZTFfMzAwMWFlNl90b2RkbGVyX2FwcHMQBxgDeggyBkZBTUlMWQ%3D%3D:s:ANO1ljI7ZEQ&c=apps]Toddler's section[/url] on the play store. Fisher Price has a ton of games on the play store too. You really just have to browse around and try out stuff. That's a tough age for finding games.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

Yeah I don't get that either but it's easy enough to just have buried and forgotten in the menu. I guess it's so you don't have to exit a messaging app to do a search?

Since there is a Share button right below the search results, I think it's just a quicker way of Let Me Google That For You.

The keyboard also now includes gif search and emoji search.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Nova Launcher Prime is on sale today for $0.99. There's supposed to be some "big announcement" coming from the dev in a few hours, but it's probably just going to be something dumb like free themes.

edit: lol

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 19, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Dyscrasia posted:

I've been liking swipe.

Come on man, at least read the post you're quoting.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

YggiDee posted:

Is there a good basic editing app? Just basic image rotation and cropping sort of thing.

Every photo app should have an editor built-in, including Google Photos, but if those aren't to your liking, you can also try Snapseed.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Dancer posted:

I mean, I entirely get what you're saying, but that's just showing people how to extract the rom from a calculator they themselves have (or at least have access to). I'm not sure it can possibly be filez to move some files from one device to another.

The post was edited. It was a link to the rom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Hey guy that only posts on SA to promote poo poo and sell poo poo. At least post your terrible looking game in the right thread, or better yet, don't.