Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Hey all, are there any good/free apps to act basically as a parental control?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

baka kaba posted:

There's some stuff built into android and the play store, this basically covers it

Like it says, if you want stuff like browser filtering you'll need apps, but it depends what you want really

Sorry, I should have been more specific heh. I'm mainly looking for the ability to set manual URLs through a browser filter.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Since you all are talking about this, there is no way to modify the host file without rooting, correct? I'm assuming you need root for anything that could touch it, but that is really unfortunate.

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

fishmech posted:

If you're not rooted, you have to run things through a fake VPN done by an app to make use of a modifiable hosts file. This will work with every device though.

If you are rooted, you can skip using one of those apps and just modify the system's hosts file directly.

Either way, you're able to make use of the benefits of blocking out annoyance servers in the hosts file.

Any recommendations for the aforementioned fake VPN app?