Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

bollig posted:

I am trying to get all of the images from the whatsapp conversation with my wife. I can get all of them except for basically everything before a certain date in 2016. Like I can see a fuzzy version of the picture and if I open it up in a new tab it's basically a thumbnail. And it's not in local storage as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure I got a new phone around then, but I can't really remember. So are all the pictures lost to the sands of time then? I've tried using my phone and WhatsApp web.

I had this same issue. Even in the backup, the images before a certain point were low rez, like thumbnails. I never worked it out - maybe the changing phone thing is it? Be interested if you find a solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Just wondering if anyone else feels like there's not been a lot of great reasons to upgrade for a few generations? I remember when every 2 years the phones were dramatically better both in terms of visually with the resolutions and oled/etc technology, MUCH better cameras, integration of biometrics, NFC, etc.

I hear you. It used to seem like you got into year 2 of a phone's life and it would feel slow, there would be features you couldn't use, apps that didn't quite work, envy of new devices, a real tradeoff between price and function. But things are a lot more stable now, and the new releases are incremental improvements. Which is great - I'm well happy with a phone that just works and that I can use until it falls apart.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Honest Thief posted:

is twitter battery hogging anyone else? it seems this dumb app is running worse and draining my battery as time goes

Yup. I found that most of the social media apps (Facebook, Twitter, Insa) sucked up power, space and bandwidth. I've gone to using the web versions.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

eSporks posted:

I used to use this, but Google assistant had been utterly broken for me for months now. I can't seem to find a solution.

I get a wide variety of different error messages, and it just fails to execute any command.

It was nice when it worked.

I've been using Alexa in the same space. It's just a list but works well for me.

In other matters, a tablet of mine has been complaining endlessly about running short of space. I've done the usual, deleted some space hogging apps I wasn't using, ran cleanup apps like SDMaid and Files, etc. Still no joy. Then a random file search turned up an odd PDF that I recognised. Mendeley cancelled their Android app earlier this year and so I deleted it. But apparently the data files were left behind and no housekeeping picked up that a gigabyte of the internal storage was occupied by a zombie directory. Now I'm wondering what else is still there. Any ideas how to find data associated with dead programs?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Thanks for all the ad-less YouTube suggestions - the ads there have been getting more and more intrusive and longer, some are entire music videos. If you're listening to yt in the background, it's a major irritation to have to walk over and click "skip ad" every few minutes. I figure yt is trying to encourage premium subscriptions

In a different topic, what are people experiences with handwriting / note taking apps? A few people at my work use the Samsung notes app, and some friends with iPads swear by the iOS equivalent. But is it actually easy to scribble notes and save them in a way they can be easily found again?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
I've had modest success with Blokada. Some ads still leak through but then I turn it off and see what I'm missing ....

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Do any of the chromium-derived browsers sync bookmarks or other stuff with Chrome?

I realise this runs against the privacy issues, but I find it very handy to have the same bookmarks across browsers and use "send to another device" feature daily

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
I've always used File Manager+ : seems to just work, not strewn with ads, you can connect into cloud services etc.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Has the way Chrome handles links on Android changed? On my Huawei Mediapad tablet, it used to be that if you held down on a link, you'd get the usual contextual popup (open in other tab, preview ...) But now only a normal tap/click works and takes you to the link. If you hold down, there's a weird ghostly grey bubble that gives the link address but does nothing else.

The old behaviour still works in my phone so not sure if it's an update, a tablet specific thing or what.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I use TOTP Authenticator, apparently. I haven't seen the name as more than "Authentica..." or thought about it in as long as I can remember because it pretty much just works. I know I've gotten a new phone since I started using it so apparently it can export and import; if it couldn't, there'd be no point using it over the google app.

Edit: I figure an auth app is the most boring thing in existence so the most ringing endorsement is basically "it doesn't annoy me enough to remember anything about it."

And that's how it should be, right? More applications should be "I don't have to think about it"

On that note, isn't there a Google authenticator? I use Authy at the moment but I'm considering moving (the next time I change phones) just to have something that's supported by the big companies and isn't going to go away

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Skype works well for me. It always rings through to the other end and if someone calls me? It rings on all the devices I have Skype on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
I'm quite happy with the Alexa / Amazon shopping list, but then I've bought into the while Amazon ecosystem. I like being able to tell my devices to add things as I think of them.

If not that, Didn't Forget The Milk used to be pretty good