Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
What's unique to Inbox at this point anyway? I'm glad they actually integrated many of the new features into one app though, instead of just killing it off and forgetting about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

saintonan posted:

Lastpass isnt any less secure than any of the others, they're just a lot more transparent about disclosing attacks.

Now you've done it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sab669 posted:

Is there a way to make the new Firefox browser not load two apps in the app switcher window?

Like I just want to be able to double tap the Square button and go back to the other actual app I was using. Not taken to the "home screen" for my browser :argh:

edit; actually if I tap either of those it just takes me to the browser tab I had open. So in that screenshot they both take me to DDG :shrug:

It seems like a Firefox bug tbh. It doesn't seem to happen with the Nightly version.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Just got a Drive notification saying a random Gmail account had tagged me in some cyrillic gibberish. I'm guessing not good. Anyone else get it?

Got a couple over the last few days, for a Google Slides doc. Tapped on the Drive notification by accident and got a permissions request for contacts access, so I'm sure its perfectly legitimate and safe!

Reported it to Google.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I just realized last night that the reason I still haven't gotten the November update on my Pixel 3 is that it's now EOL for updates. :dumb:

If I move to a custom ROM, will Original Quality photo uploads in Google Photos continue to be free until February? Or is that dependent on uploading from the stock ROM?

It's kinda moot as I will probably wait until LineageOS 19 is ready. Or it'll have some hardware failure and I'll just end up buying something new.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Hold up, so they just dropped Android 12 onto me and froze me out right away so I'm not getting any of the basic follow-up bugfixes?

I think that's the long and the short of it. :sigh:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm using a Mate SE temporarily while I wait for the Pixel 5 that's replacing my EDL mode'd Pixel 3, and... oh man I miss having a multicolor notification LED!

It looks like the "Holey Light" app might accomplish this alongside regular AOD. Anyone have firsthand experience with it?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Honest Thief posted:

My phones 3yo and I've got a bunch of videos stored in it that i have to scroll down and memorise where they're sorta at, is there any app to catalogue videos or tag them and searchable?

Do you use Google Photos? You can search "Videos" with that to pull them all up, and you can add text in a description field for individual videos (and photos) to search for specific ones as well.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I'm having an intermittent issue using Android Auto with my Pixel 5, in a 2021 Tacoma. Occasionally, when I try to start navigation somewhere via voice (whether I've held the button on the steering wheel or pressed the mic icon on the screen), it listens and responds but doesn't start navigating. Like, "Navigate to xyz" *doink* OK, navigating to xyz. Let's go. And Maps remains at the starting view.

Music commands seem to work when this happens. To get it to navigate I have to unplug the phone, start navigation in Maps on the phone, and plug it back in.

I've tried clearing cache in Maps and Android Auto, anything else I can try?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Bump for a new page in case anyone has any ideas.

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm having an intermittent issue using Android Auto with my Pixel 5, in a 2021 Tacoma. Occasionally, when I try to start navigation somewhere via voice (whether I've held the button on the steering wheel or pressed the mic icon on the screen), it listens and responds but doesn't start navigating. Like, "Navigate to xyz" *doink* OK, navigating to xyz. Let's go. And Maps remains at the starting view.

Music commands seem to work when this happens. To get it to navigate I have to unplug the phone, start navigation in Maps on the phone, and plug it back in.

I've tried clearing cache in Maps and Android Auto, anything else I can try?

Edit; one other detail, if I select a previous destination from the search list on the car's display, that still works and begins navigation.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

gariig posted:

Is there a way to sync the downloads folder on a Pixel to Google Drive? I see a way to upload everything in the directory but not a way to have it be synced. Looks like you can sync through Google Photos but I'm guessing that's limited to photos/video.

There's an app called DriveSync that should do this. I think the ad supported free version will do what you want, but you can pay a couple bucks to remove the ads, or a few more for some other pro features (one time fee for all upgrade options).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Google Authenticator can transfer from one phone to another with a generated QR code, but that's it as far as "backing up" goes. Also lol at Google and any software/service sticking around.

I use Google Authenticator, but I keep a printout of each of my original QR codes as my backup.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Google Authenticator updated and now allows you to upload your codes to your Google account. You can still use it without doing that as well.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Am I going to need to have a sub now to listen to podcasts? YouTube Music doesn't play in the background, with the screen off, or through Android Auto without a paid sub. Fuckin' Googled again.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Bandire posted:

The email I got says no paid subscription required

I just got the email as well. I'll try it when it's available, but you can listen to music in YT Music without a paid sub also. Just... with the screen on, in the app the whole time only (it does work in split screen as well).

Just to be clear I'm not refuting you specifically here, just very wary about the wording in their email. Guess I'll start trying some other apps.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Medullah posted:

I have a high school reunion coming up and I'm considering scanning my yearbooks to give digital copies out to people. I see there's dedicated book scanners you can buy, but wondering if anyone has ever used an app to scan books? Obviously I can just take a picture of each page and combine them manually but wondering if there's anything out there that handles all that itself.

A utility scanning app like Adobe Scan will allow you to quickly fix keystoning/distortion (to a degree, it's really meant to correct scanning a flat piece of paper off-angle), apply a basic brightness/contrast filter, and will output a PDF with everything in order. If you're wanting it simply as a reference this would probably do the job. If you want a high quality digitization of the book then a dedicated scanner will be much better. Having the pages as flat as possible will be key either way.

Here's a book page scanned with the book laying on the table (so the page is curved), and then with me deliberately holding the page flat

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

smoobles posted:

I'm a former Google Podcasts fan trying to find alternatives...

Podcast Addict isn't downloading new episodes in the background. It's retrieving new episodes in the background, on the interval I set, but just not downloading them.

Turned off battery optimization and all that jazz. Any ideas?

FWIW, I've been trying YouTube Music (non-premium acct) as a replacement and it appears to not restrict podcasts in any way that I've found so far. Background play works, Android Auto works, etc. It has an option to enable auto downloading that appears to work, though I don't usually download eps. I don't see much in the way of customizing for downloads, just on or off per podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

100YrsofAttitude posted:

So Google Music Player isn't a thing anymore. I can only use Youtube Music and it takes ages to load the next song, like a good 30 seconds sometimes, rarely does it play a song within 5 seconds, and never immediately. I don't know if it's my phone (Jelly Star), which has been running everything like a dream otherwise. I only added 465 songs to be used as a biking/driving playlist. It's not a small amount but it's also not enormous.

All I need is an app that plays the songs I downloaded onto my phone in shuffle on a bluetooth speaker. I looked into Poweramp but as of Aug 23, it doesn't seem to automatically play songs while using bluetooth according to a review. I'll pay if I have to but I'm very reluctant to do so for what seems like a very simple expectation. I'd be pretty annoyed if I got a player that sticks ads into my own songs. Were it streaming fine but that's not the case.

Try VLC? Not sure if by "automatically play songs while using bluetooth" you mean just proceed on to the next track when one ends, or if you're looking for totally hands-off starting of music when you connect to the speaker. Looking in the settings, there's one to detect headset insertion/removal, and another to resume on headset insertion but I'm not sure if that extends to BT audio devices.